Prospect Info: Bowen Byram - D [2019: 4th Overall] Part II: Now serving a side of overconfidence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Byram is coming into an interesting situation in Colorado.

The positive is he has very little pressure on him, considering the Avs already have Makar and Girard.

But, the negative is he’ll be given less opportunity. He’s going to have to play well to earn minutes.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

The positive is he has very little pressure on him, considering the Avs already have Makar and Girard.

But, the negative is he’ll be given less opportunity. He’s going to have to play well to earn minutes.
It’ll be interesting to see him try and take Girards PP2 spot

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
It’ll be a battle.

And will likely come down to how much Girard improves his shot in the offseason.

I do think Byram is a more natural power play QB, though.
I think Byram is ultimately the better choice, but Girard is much more seasoned

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we ran Byram - Makar or Byram - Girard for PP1 or PP2 in a few years.

That’s a really good point.

There’s no reason you can’t find spots for all three of them between both power play units.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Getting hyped for Byram and was looking back at this draft video tonight.

The best part is the ‘Room for improvement’ section on the left hand side of the screen haha

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

I think that negative is pretty minor. He probably isn't going to come in and blow the doors off the league like Makar did, and limited minutes will allow him to get used to the pace of the NHL and test out what he can and cannot do there without the pressure of needing to carry the team on his back. If I were him, I would much rather be coming here than getting thrown into the fire on a team like New Jersey or Chicago where he would need to immediately become the backbone of the defense.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
"Nikita Zadorov might depart as well via trade. The 24-year-old has a great physical presence but he seems to have fallen behind Ryan Graves as the team’s best enforcer"

Graves as the team's enforcer? lol...

I agree to a point, Graves sometimes lays down big hits but it's not a regular facet of his game. But it should also be pointed out that for every game Big Z was a human wrecking ball, he'd have a few where he was soft as a beanie baby.

"Enforcer" isn't the right word for either player BTW...

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I agree to a point, Graves sometimes lays down big hits but it's not a regular facet of his game. But it should also be pointed out that for every game Big Z was a human wrecking ball, he'd have a few where he was soft as a beanie baby.

"Enforcer" isn't the right word for either player BTW...
Soft as a beanie baby was when Z got muscled off the puck by Jordan Eberle. Unforgiveable.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'd say Z is plenty tough in comparison to pretty much everyone in the NHL. I don't imagine most would fair well off the ice.

What doesn't come into play with toughness though is coordination and balance on your skates. Z has a bit of Bambi in him like Mikko. That's different than toughness though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'd say Z is plenty tough in comparison to pretty much everyone in the NHL. I don't imagine most would fair well off the ice.
I love me Vitamin Z, but his toughness comes from the fact that he's pretty much bigger than 98% of the rest of the league and actually has good hitting skills. I've seen him though without any equipment and it looks like he truly doesn't condition himself at all. Now obviously that isn't the case since there've been clips throughout the years showing him workout. However, I highly doubt that he works out or conditions himself as hard as Nuke does or at least the top quarter of the league. I think he can do so much better in terms conditioning himself off-ice for situations in games when he has the puck, because sometimes he looks like a 5'8" deer in the headlights at times.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Kingslayer

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I love me Vitamin Z, but his toughness comes from the fact that he's pretty much bigger than 98% of the rest of the league and actually has good hitting skills. I've seen him though without any equipment and it looks like he truly doesn't condition himself at all. Now obviously that isn't the case since there've been clips throughout the years showing him workout. However, I highly doubt that he works out or conditions himself as hard as Nuke does or at least the top quarter of the league. I think he can do so much better in terms conditioning himself off-ice for situations in games when he has the puck, because sometimes he looks like a 5'8" deer in the headlights at times.

Z plays his best hockey when he plays a ton of minutes though, so I'm sure he conditions himself fairly well, and his upper body strength seems to match up well against almost everyone. It's just his balance and poor on ice awareness sometimes that causes him to get pushed around more than he should IMO.

Sometimes with bigger guys like Z, a lack of noticeable muscle tone and a little body fat isn't necessarily indicative of a lack of strength or toughness. Their muscles are a lot longer and don't bulk up the same way as smaller guys, but they can have deceptive strength if you're going off appearances.

Tyson Fury is an example of a big strong guy with great conditioning and a bad body.

images

The dad bod actually seems to be a theme for some big strong Russians.

AO2.jpg

DEQ0z-O7-U0-AAwp1i.jpg

ovechkin-shirtless-soccer9.jpg

Fedor-Dad-Bod.png

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Z plays his best hockey when he plays a ton of minutes though, so I'm sure he conditions himself fairly well, and his upper body strength seems to match up well against almost everyone. It's just his balance and poor on ice awareness sometimes that causes him to get pushed around more than he should IMO.

Sometimes with bigger guys like Z, a lack of noticeable muscle tone and a little body fat isn't necessarily indicative of a lack of strength or toughness. Their muscles are a lot longer and don't bulk up the same way as smaller guys, but they can have deceptive strength if you're going off appearances.

Tyson Fury is an example of a big strong guy with great conditioning and a bad body.

images

The dad bod actually seems to be a theme for some big strong Russians.

AO2.jpg

DEQ0z-O7-U0-AAwp1i.jpg

ovechkin-shirtless-soccer9.jpg

Fedor-Dad-Bod.png
The meaning of the word "tough" to me is more in reference to the psychological side than the physical side. Matt Calvert isn't tough because of his conditioning, he's tough because he plays with snarl and never backs down.

Now THAT is tough.

Last edited:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The meaning of the word "tough" to me is more in reference to the psychological side than the physical side. Matt Calvert isn't tough because of his conditioning, he's tough because he plays with snarl and never backs down.

Now THAT is tough.

I see what you're saying. I thought we were talking about toughness in relation to him getting pushed around a bit. Which I attribute more to balance and awareness issues.

I look at the word toughness a little differently. For me it's referring to physical toughness first, unless there's a modifier like "mental" or "physiological" in front of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad