Confirmed with Link: Bouwmeester for Cundari, Berra, protected 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
The Blues probably wouldn't have got J-Bo if they were doing better in the standings. Their 1st rounder looks better to the Flames being in the teens rather than late 20's. So glad the Wings didn't get him.

The Wings didn't think he was worth a first round pick, as reportedly they balked at that price.

ikeman79

Aug 3, 2008
The Wings didn't think he was worth a first round pick, as reportedly they balked at that price.
HaHa! That's awesome! Am I mistaken or didn't they give a 1st for Kyle Quincey? lol if so that is epicly hilarious from the wingers!!!!

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
HaHa! That's awesome! Am I mistaken or didn't they give a 1st for Kyle Quincey? lol if so that is epicly hilarious from the wingers!!!!

Yes, they did, and I believe they feel it was a pretty big mistake(which, let's be honest, it was). They probably didn't want the same thing to happen again, although I think almost all objective fans would say that JBo is a better player than Kyle Quincey was last year. Could also be that they really like a number of prospects in this year's draft, and would rather have one of them.

ikeman79

Aug 3, 2008
Yes, they did, and I believe they feel it was a pretty big mistake(which, let's be honest, it was). They probably didn't want the same thing to happen again, although I think almost all objective fans would say that JBo is a better player than Kyle Quincey was last year. Could also be that they really like a number of prospects in this year's draft, and would rather have one of them.
Ha! Your are most likely right on all accounts. I just nearly shot milk out my nose when I read they thought a first was to much for Bouwmeester when I remembered they gave one for Quincy! That's just about the funniest thing I've ever heard!!! However I don't mean to poke fun at them if they regret it, and how could they not lol!!!!!! Haaaaa ok sorry.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

Yes, THAT-and don't forget that they've also picked up DeKeyser.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Is J-Bo just a bigger version of Shatty? I hear he's a great skater, but not real physical.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Is J-Bo just a bigger version of Shatty? I hear he's a great skater, but not real physical.

While J-Bo isn't labelled as a physical defenseman. I think it comes from having the same frame as Pronger but not playing as physical as Pronger. I would say J-Bo is more physical than Shatty and just about as physical as Petro. He likes to rely on his finesse rather than his size, but it's not like he's afraid to push around guys.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008
While J-Bo isn't labelled as a physical defenseman. I think it comes from having the same frame as Pronger but not playing as physical as Pronger. I would say J-Bo is more physical than Shatty and just about as physical as Petro. He likes to rely on his finesse rather than his size, but it's not like he's afraid to push around guys.

I think part of it also comes from his iron-man streak. "How physical can the guy be if he never misses a game?"

He certainly isn't known for his bone-crushing hits, but that doesn't mean he is going to lose the physical battles.

It will be interesting to see how he fits on the Blues in the next few weeks.

Mr Dangles

Made of 100% genuine star stuff.
Sep 23, 2008
Arizona
I don't think we needed physicality. I'd much rather have two very skilled guys on our top pair. JBo could find his game here. Never liked him in Calgary, he didn't fit. Overall, good trade considering we didn't give much up. I'm not too worried about the cap situation as long as we start going somewhere in playoffs!

Go Blues!

Yoko Ono*

I have to say I am impressed with ownership taking on some payroll, not that I am a big J Bo fan but he is better than Redden and Russell put together. The Flames fans seem rather happy he is gone from what I read on their forum and TSN's comments area.

Aug 3, 2010
I have to say I am impressed with ownership taking on some payroll, not that I am a big J Bo fan but he is better than Redden and Russell put together. The Flames fans seem rather happy he is gone from what I read on their forum and TSN's comments area.
That's incorrect, thanks.

Calgary fans (at least on HFBoards) like Bouwmeester and knew/realize that he was the keystone in the Calgary defence. Easily plays 23-24 minutes a night, ability to skate the puck up the ice very smoothly with his fantastic stride technique, plays every situation, doesn't pick up boneheaded penalties.

But he had to go. He was the only defenceman that was a) touchable (aka not Brodie) and b) that could guarantee a pick somewhere in the first round (aka not Giordano).

We're happy that we got a decent return. We're unhappy he's gone. But you can't have everything and it was time to move on.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
That's incorrect, thanks.

Calgary fans (at least on HFBoards) like Bouwmeester and knew/realize that he was the keystone in the Calgary defence. Easily plays 23-24 minutes a night, ability to skate the puck up the ice very smoothly with his fantastic stride technique, plays every situation, doesn't pick up boneheaded penalties.

But he had to go. He was the only defenceman that was a) touchable (aka not Brodie) and b) that could guarantee a pick somewhere in the first round (aka not Giordano).

We're happy that we got a decent return. We're unhappy he's gone. But you can't have everything and it was time to move on.

Shedding his salary and getting a 1st is a decent return. Nothing wrong with that for a team that wants to rebuild. You guys have three 1st rounders in a very good upcoming draft. This is how the Blues built their team, which will be perennial playoff and cup contenders for a long time.

intangible

Apr 28, 2010
I wasn't a big Bouwmeester fan before, but since coming here he looks like a different man. Motivated, determined, gives 110%. Certainly more than I can say for the vast majority of our players.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
His ability to get up the ice so quickly is outstanding. It completely changes the look of our rushes and it throws the other team for a loop when they see a defender fly past them like Bouwmeester does.
I wanted Bouw when he was a free agent in Florida thrilled we have him now

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
RR, I didn't realize what a great skater he is. He's Paul Coffey light. An outstanding addition to this Blues team. He and Leo give this team a new look.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
RR, I didn't realize what a great skater he is. He's Paul Coffey light. An outstanding addition to this Blues team. He and Leo give this team a new look.

I wouldn't say Coffey. I'd say Orr-superlite. JBo is all over the ice in both ends effectively. Coffey was never known for stalwart defensive minutes. Granted I never saw Orr live, but he's the only heads up, world class stride, rushing d-man that I can think of. Most of those players are small. JBo is almost LeBron gifted.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
J-Bo has never played on a team with this much talent either. He will flourish not being counted on as 'the' guy. I only wish either he, Petro or Shatty had a Darien Hatcher mean streak or checking ability.

stlweir

Sep 29, 2008
To be clear I was taking about his skating not his overall play. He reminds me of Coffey when he carries the puck. 2 Minute nailed it that they are feeling their way with the team. Lets hope that you are right that having Pie and Shattenkirk will take some pressure off of Bo and he can just play his game and not have to worry about expectations. Can you imagine that he has never been in an NHL playoff game. You've got to think that he is loving competing to make the playoffs. He and Leo can both play the PP and kill penalties. This allows Hitch to just send the pairings out and not have to juggle them.

Schwartz has been playing with more confidence and shows great anticipation as well as being surprisingly effective along the boards. Hope he starts to pop in some more goals.

I wonder if Allen will be the one to take the Blues to the playoffs?

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Bouwmeester plays a lot like Pietrangelo in the defensive zone. They both use their big bodies to take the puck away from opposing forwards. First, instead of only going for "the big, punishing hit", they make their hits, useing their full bodies, positioned carefully to be in the optimum position to allow them to get their own stick on the puck and have the momentum of their hit move their own body between the opponent's body and the puck. The opponent's body is then pushed away just as their stick frees the puck from the oppont's stick. Meanwhile, Pietrangelo or Bouwmeester, with head up, and still well balanced on the ice, is starting to skate free, ready to skate up ice, or make a break-out pass, while the opponent has been knocked off balance, and can't keep The Blue defender tied up, and can't get back to him.

I've seen this happen hundreds of times with Pietrangelo (more last season than this), and by Bouwmeester in his 2 Blues' games, and in the few games I've watched with him as a Flame. The forward skates towards The Blues' net with the puck and Pietrangelo (or Bouwmeester) make a full-body hit, while at the same time, extending their stick out to share the puck with the forward, and the followthrough of their contact moves the puck off the forward's stick, and the force of the collision sends the forward off-balance off the puck, and The Blue defender, well-balnced on the ice, continues skating off with the puck on his stick.

It's not a body-crunching open-ice, punishing hit, like some of the famous biggest, toughest and meanest defencemen are known for, but it is very effective in breaking up potential scoring chances, and gets The Blues' rush started faster than needing a second Blue to get to the loose, freed-up puck on a "punishing hit".

Despite the fact that Pietrangelo and Bouwmeester are not known for initiating a lot of contact, and not making a lot of punishing hits, they are very effective in using their big bodies in defending their own zone.

At least last year, Pietrangelo never shied away from contact. This year, I've noticed that he's sometimes been slower to react to opposing forwards entering his zone. But, I think this is due to his doing too much "thinking" as opposed to just naturally acting by instinct as a defender. I'm not sure, but I think this may have come from his trying to add more offence to his game, possibly by thinking of how he's going to start the rush after taking away the puck, instead of just defending against the forward.

In any case, Bouwmeester seems to defend in all zones, pretty well, despite his spending a fair amount of time carrying the puck into the offensive zone and going in deep to help in his team's offensive flurries. In his second Blues' game last night, there were even a few instances when both he and Pietrangelo were deep in a cycle behind and near The Jackets' net, and yet, they both got back on defence in plenty of time after The Jackets started their rush.

I think their tandem will allow The Blues to increase their offence greatly, and, yet, will also provide The Blues with much better defence against the opponents' best scoring forwards, as opponents will no longer be able to pressure Pietrangelo's partner into forced errors, as Bouwmeester can bring the puck up ice with confidence, or make the needed safe pass under pressure.

ExJbeck

Jul 29, 2012
I agree Robb. If there is one thing I underestimated about the Jaybo acquisition it was how effective his speed would be. One thing Petro does better in the defensive zone than Jaybo is staying constantly composed under pressure. I feel like Jaybo has subtle mental lapses, but his speed allows for him to make up for that. Jaybo is just an incredibly intelligent hockey player like Petro. Using his body, stick and overall positioning in the most effective way possible. It's very nice to have someone next to Petro that can make heads up plays in high pressure situations. The pair is going to be very effective once they are on the same page.

I worry that our forwards will not go back on defense when Jaybo and/or Petro step up. We are going to be seeing a lot more of it and there is potential for some breakaways, which could and eventually will be costly.

For anyone who thinks Jaybo has a problem being physical you're wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad