Confirmed with Link: Bouwmeester agrees to 5-year extension worth of 27 million, AAV 5.4

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
No familiar with this procedure. But just googling pictures of it shows that there is a small raised area under the skin where the device is placed. Not sure if contact sports can be played with this device installed.

Anybody know?

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
What a **** way to go if that’s the case. Thanks for everything Bo, glad you got your cup
I agree it's always so hard to see another factor decide the end of a career. however, that is my speculation, medical procedures and the limitations of them is not my field of expertise, but my guess is that this wouldn't allow him to play the game at a high level like the NHL.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I think given that he has a medical device to moderate his heartbeat, accomplished all he could hope to accomplish in the league, and that he was on a one year deal to begin with, it's safe to assume Bouwmeester has played his last NHL game.

fishsandwichpatrol

Mar 29, 2014
Upstate SC
Love the guy, I have his jersey, but it sounds like he needs to step away now. Even if he were cleared to play I would still think this is the time to get out. Sure you want to end your career on your own terms, but I think there's something peaceful about not having the choice. It would be hard to have to make a decision to stop doing the thing you love. But now he knows that stepping away is the right choice.

Reactions: dutchblues

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
No familiar with this procedure. But just googling pictures of it shows that there is a small raised area under the skin where the device is placed. Not sure if contact sports can be played with this device installed.

Anybody know?
Athletes with Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators

Just a quick google search. I'd imagine if this was a nail in his careers coffin, they would have already said, so the door may still be open

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Reactions: Klank Loves You

SneakerPimp82

Apr 5, 2003
Saint Louis, MO

Anybody know?

I'd guess that he's played his last game. If Bouw were a cyclist, or even basketball or baseball player, I'd say maybe, but probably still a low chance. But a contact sport like hockey, where you're taking bumps and hit not just in games but at practice too, and each bump or hit means that the ICD could be damaged, i'd say it's absolutely not worth the risk. Not to mention his advanced age(for an athlete) and having just won the Cup, i know what choice i'd make.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Athletes with Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators

Just a quick google search. I'd imagine if this was a nail in his careers coffin, they would have already said, so the door may still be open

I don't think there is an club in the NHL that would rush out a retirement announcement while a player is still in the hospital. I can't think of a single time in pro sports where a retirement announcement has taken place while the player is still hospitalized from his injury. I vehemently disagree that we would have gotten confirmation even if the doctors have told him with 100%, ironclad confidence that he can never engage in any type of strenuous activity again. No one is coming out and making statements about their long term future 3 days after collapsing on the bench due to a cardiac event.

Reactions: Majorityof1

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
I definitely think his hockey playing career is over. That ICD most likely limits him to non-contact, low risk activity.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Sucks that JBow's career is likely over, but he's alive and kicking and that's what matters most. Proud to say I was at the draft he went #3 overall and I own a JBow game used stick. (Only GU sticks I own are Datsyuk and JBow).

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Presumably they are waiting until he is realeased from hospital and maybe can do press conference before addressing his playing future. Seems highly unlikely he plays again.
True, but usually we hear something from someone. I don't remember the timeline exactly with Fabbri but his prognosis wasn't too promising shortly after the injury. There doesn't seem like alot of leeway with what Jbo had done. Someone's talked to someone about it and shared their experience. As you said though, may be out of respect for Boumeester. Let him go out as best he can on his terms, if this is the end for him

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
True, but usually we hear something from someone. I don't remember the timeline exactly with Fabbri but his prognosis wasn't too promising shortly after the injury. There doesn't seem like alot of leeway with what Jbo had done. Someone's talked to someone about it and shared their experience. As you said though, may be out of respect for Boumeester. Let him go out as best he can on his terms, if this is the end for him
This isn’t typical situation. And JayBo is someone held in super high regard by everyone. Obviously I don’t know what will happen but they are going to do everything they can to show him courtesy and respect and not force issue if they don’t have to.

Reactions: Dbrownss

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I work in the Defibrillator industry and he has zero chance of coming back to play. He can’t play contact sports with an ICD.

The fact he got an ICD so quickly after having the event tells me he has had the condition for a period of time and they have been treating it with medicine.

SwivelSchwartz

May 14, 2019

Wow, looks like he was fighting back tears when talking about his hockey future. He knows he won't be playing again, but doesn't want to accept it. That's hard to watch. Glad he's feeling better, but he feels he still has more to give. Shame.

Reactions: Ranksu

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Bo is my favorite player. I was fortunate enough to see him play up close one last time in the recent game vs. Carolina and I did my usual iso on him for every one of his shifts. You can't understand how good he is defensively with stick work until you focus on him away from the puck in coverage. Gives you 0 space, gaps closed in an instant, always RIGHT THERE to break it up as soon as his mark touches it. I thank the hockey gods everyday for the Blues being blessed with him. f***in' guy went out there at 36 facing the most brutal usage defending the league's best and won the Cup doing it.

Thank you for your defensive excellence Bo, now ride eternal shiny and chrome as 2019 Stanley Cup Champion Jay Bouwmeester. When these other idiots screw up I'll be thinking, "Jay wouldn'thave screwed that up......pft."

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I probably heard Jay-Bo talk more here today than I have the entirety of his Blues career. What a unique guy and a unique player. You can tell that he’s a guy that when he speaks, it’s going to have substance.

It’s a lot to absorb for him, and he expressed that clearly. I hope he can find a role with the team. He clearly said he didn’t want to coach when Army said he can help with the PK - funny moment there.

execwrite1

Mar 30, 2018
They'll do the official retirement thing over the summer.

Hopefully he joins the unofficial coaching staff/front office after that and maybe steps in as assistant coach if Van Ryn gets a head coach chance.

What a great career. I still believe has an outside shot at HOF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad