Confirmed with Link: Bouwmeester agrees to 5-year extension worth of 27 million, AAV 5.4

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Unexpected, but welcome.

This means guys like Jackman and Polak won't be staying past their current contracts, but that's okay.

Also seems to indicate the Blues ownership group is willing to spend more than we think.

I like locking up the top players we have while Schwartz and Tarasenko are still cheap. Doesn't leave as much for forward spending, but with the cap going up we should have more room to fit another guy in, especially if we're more frugal with say goalie spending next season.

The one thing I'm worried about is how well our farm system will produce cheap guys to put next to our three big defensemen. Cole should be okay as a Polak/Jackman replacement, but who else do we have coming up we can really rely on? The drafting in that regard doesn't seem like its been too great recently, though I guess if we get one guy out of Hakanpaa/Ponich/Edmundson etc. they're doing okay.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Unexpected, but welcome.

This means guys like Jackman and Polak won't be staying past their current contracts, but that's okay.

Also seems to indicate the Blues ownership group is willing to spend more than we think.

I like locking up the top players we have while Schwartz and Tarasenko are still cheap. Doesn't leave as much for forward spending, but with the cap going up we should have more room to fit another guy in, especially if we're more frugal with say goalie spending next season.

The one thing I'm worried about is how well our farm system will produce cheap guys to put next to our three big defensemen. Cole should be okay as a Polak/Jackman replacement, but who else do we have coming up we can really rely on? The drafting in that regard doesn't seem like its been too great recently, though I guess if we get one guy out of Hakanpaa/Ponich/Edmundson etc. they're doing okay.

2 mil for Jax and 2.5 for Polak isn't unreasonable. I highly doubt that we just let Jax walk after he's been a lifetime Blue. Polak might walk and Hakanpaa, Fairchild, or Cole might take his place but I will bet my life's savings Jax stays on the 3rd pairing and remains a Blue forever.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Protecting our ***** in anticipation of not being able to re-sign Pietro long term?

Or was it just so his value doesn't go up drastically during the season?

I think it's more of a formality needed to sign Petro.

Solidifies the top 2 and frees up more cap space (some of which Army can now use for Petro) next year.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Unexpected, but welcome.

It is a difficult thing to look to. We'll have Rattie and Jaškin coming through who, combined with the development of Schwartz and Tarasenko, could make Stewart expendable.

Pääjärvi could make Oshie or Steen expendable. We'll obviously do everything we can to sign Steen, but he'll be getting $4.5m-ish.

Polák could easily be moved, there would be high demand and we could replace him with Cole and his important minutes picked up by the likes of Bouwmeester.

We can replace players from within, drop salary and add picks/prospects to boost our farm system if that is the route we choose to go down. Or we might get a 2-for-1 deal and improve in that regard. I don't think our farm system is really anything to be worried about just now.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It is a difficult thing to look to. We'll have Rattie and Jaškin coming through who, combined with the development of Schwartz and Tarasenko, could make Stewart expendable.

Pääjärvi could make Oshie or Steen expendable. We'll obviously do everything we can to sign Steen, but he'll be getting $4.5m-ish.

Polák could easily be moved, there would be high demand and we could replace him with Cole and his important minutes picked up by the likes of Bouwmeester.

We can replace players from within, drop salary and add picks/prospects to boost our farm system if that is the route we choose to go down. Or we might get a 2-for-1 deal and improve in that regard. I don't think our farm system is really anything to be worried about just now.
I realize what you're trying to say and I agree, but Paajarvi is going to have to really impress to make Oshie or Steen expendable...

I think if we can either keep Roy around or sign Stastny, a guy that might not have a long future here is Berglund. I would try to keep Oshie and Steen as long as possible. They are too valuable and Paajarvi is not near their level yet (and may not ever be). We're talking about two elite defensive forwards who play a tenacious game and can score 50 points.

SunDin

Dec 22, 2008
Great one!! Before Bouw came to St Louis I had no idea he was such a nice guy off the ice(because i never watched any interviews from Flames-players:)). But now when Ive seen more of him both on and off the ice, im pumped about this deal. Its close to a steal with 5,4 in my opinion. He is in his prime and still have never been hurt?:handclap::handclap::handclap:

allen wrench

Jul 19, 2013
Very happy with this deal. Glad Bo signed for less money. He is such a good fit with the Blues system and the city itself. Not that much media pressure here because STL will always be a baseball town.

Good job Army. Now wrap it up with Pietrangelo

illninofan*

:yo:

This just about cinches the fact that we're going to be contenders for a long time.

Now to settle the goalie and forward situation.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
As someone else noted to me earlier today, perhaps Armstrong convinced Bouwmeester that only the Blues could get him in to the playoffs, thus securing a below-market deal.

Despite my misgivings over JBo, it seems this should be a good deal for the Blues.

Rizzo90

Nov 10, 2011
I love how the guy plays, but my favorite thing about him is how he always looks like a compete lunatic that's just escaped from the nut house anytime he's photographed during gameplay :yo:

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
Contract is just looking worse and worse with every passing year. IMO, he was one of the biggest liabilities on the team this post season. I truly believe that Petro burned out not only because he played a ridiculous number of minutes, but also because he was continuously forced to cover for J-Bow's mistakes.

His best assets are speed and stick work, but those skills just continue to deteriorate rapidly every year. He looked absolutely horrible last night constantly trapping himself in the corner because he can no longer out skate anyone. I don't think there's any chance we can trade him or dump him, so I guess we are just stuck with him for 4 more years..... :facepalm:

Most likely will end up on third pairing behind Edmundson and Gunnarson when all is said and done.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
Contract is just looking worse and worse with every passing year. IMO, he was one of the biggest liabilities on the team this post season. I truly believe that Petro burned out not only because he played a ridiculous number of minutes, but also because he was continuously forced to cover for J-Bow's mistakes.

His best assets are speed and stick work, but those skills just continue to deteriorate rapidly every year. He looked absolutely horrible last night constantly trapping himself in the corner because he can no longer out skate anyone. I don't think there's any chance we can trade him or dump him, so I guess we are just stuck with him for 4 more years..... :facepalm:

Most likely will end up on third pairing behind Edmundson and Gunnarson when all is said and done.

3 more years.
If there is any hope of an expansion team helpijg out, its with taking Jay Bouwmeester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad