Boucher Favorites: Pyatt and Paajarvi

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Pyatt and Pajaarvi have combined for 0 points this season and I think it is time we start questioning whether we need both anymore.

Through 14 games Tom Pyatt has 0 points is a -7, averages 14:05 in time on ice and 19.2 shifts per game. Paajarvi has 0 points and is -2, he averages 13:27 in time on ice and 19.7 shifts per game. Boucher uses Pyatt and Paajarvi as our top penalty killers. In terms of short handed time on ice Pyatt is at 37:13 and Paajarvi is at 35:32. Pyatt has even been used to take draws short handed where he has 11 short handed face off wins and 20 short handed face off loses. Pyatt has 0 short handed give aways and 0 short handed take aways whereas Paajarvi has 1 for both. In terms of shot attempts metrics Pyatt is at -107 and Paajarvi is at -73.

In terms of penalty kill, the Ottawa Senators are ranked 29th in the league with a 68.8% pk percentage. We have the worst road pk at 58.8% and we have the 25th ranked home pk at 74.2%.

Pyatt and Paajarvi certainly hustle and try hard but it is time to question how effective they are. We don't seem to be able to rely on them to contribute anything offensively and they aren't proving to be very effective on the pk so why are they on the roster? Should we get rid of both or should we keep one?

CorrectOpinion

Mar 8, 2016
I think Pyatt is easily our worst player. Paajarvi had some swagger today though. Strong with the puck.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I think Pyatt is easily our worst player. Paajarvi had some swagger today though. Strong with the puck.
If we were to keep one I would keep Paajarvi. He is still lacking but he is bigger, faster, younger and was a former top pick.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
They are essentially the same player, really no need for both, one can be useful in a limited role. I do like Pyatt much more over Paajarvi. Pyatt can at least make a playa round the net. Any skill Paajarvi once had has been beaten out of him, it actually crazy to look back at what he was as a rookie and what he has become.

Reactions: derriko

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Sens fans focusing on 3rd/4th line players lol seems like a yearly thing

All the top guys who are getting lots of mins have to be waaaayy better

Reactions: bert

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

The league is different now. Teams needs 4 lines and 3 quality d pairings that can all contribute both offensively and defensively. The teams is lacking in depth right now as it is in the early stages of a rebuild and we have players playing 3rd line minutes that can't contribute offensively. There may even be a good debate as to whether Pyatt and Paajarvi are still NHL players.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
We don't have enough depth right now to get rid of them entirely, and I'd much rather keep Batherson and Balcers in the AHL for now. In the meantime though we should reduce their ice time, and give guys like White and Paul more minutes.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Who plays instead? Seriously who? They are both defensively responsible players. This teams issue isnt the 4th line its clearly the d core. The top forwards are the ones getting scored on all the time. MCcormick is way worse than both of them its not close.

Now why they didnt pick up a player like Aberg when he was on waivers for free now thats the real question. They had no depth and had a chance at the start if the season to snag an NHL player from an organization that had way more depth would have been something proactive and intelligent. This team did nothing yet again. But hey the media wont identify simple moves like this that could have happened. They will focus on something else. Thats truly the issue, the free pass management gets for building this terrible roster.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Both guys should really be a 12th or 13th forward. Injuries have given them substantially bigger roles.

Had Pageau and Tkachuk not been injured, we might have started the year with only one spot for the two to fight for (assuming we still kept Formenton up) which is the way it should be.

Reactions: derriko

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
paajarvi I think has played well if he was playing with someone other than pyatt I feel there would be more tangible contributions from him...

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007

Definitely agree that our top players need to be better.

That being said, we also need a 4th line that can provide some sort of spark to the team. Pyatt is redundant. Skating the puck to the corner to kill off time on his shift is getting tiresome and doesn't give energy to no one

I don't mind Paajarvi. Hes big and has good wheels. Perhaps a linemate change for him will do him better than Pyatt.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think both are decent 4th liners. When they are at their best they can move up to 3rd line at times.
Big problem with the team is certain players getting played too much. The roster is weak and the coach has a definite preference for vets regardless of their ability.

Top 9 (no order)
Stone
Duchene
Dzingel
Tierney
Boedker
Ryan
White
Tkachuk
Smith -- out a couple/few weeks

Pageau out for a while yet

-----------------------
Up front the rest are all replacement level players. Pick the best 3 for the 4th line 13th foreward.
Pyatt, Paul, Paajarvi, McCormick.

I have no issues keeping McCormick in over one of the others because he can play with some jam that we don't see from the others and we need big time.
----------------------

On D ...
Chabot Demelo
Lajoie Harpur
Boro Ceci --- these guys are both over deployed ;
Jaros / Wideman

Reactions: Clayonator

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Another mediocre performance by those 2 last night. Especially pyatt. Pyatt should be scratched at this point and possibly waived.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
I'm just going to point out, we are running 11 forwards a night and Pyatt and Paajarvi are the two lowest minute-getters amongst our regular forwards.

I agree, in a healthy lineup you should have better options. Pyatt, especially, has been bad this year. I'd still keep Pajaarvi as a 12/13 forward.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
I have no problem with Pyatt and Paajarvi play 9-12 minutes a night on the 4th line. I do have a problem with White being saddled with them.

Lineup (including current injuries) should be:

Tkachuk - Tierney - Stone
Dzingel - Duchene - White
Boedker - Chlapik - Ryan
Paajarvi - Paul - Pyatt

Call up Chlapik, stop with the 11-7 BS.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
I think both are decent 4th liners. When they are at their best they can move up to 3rd line at times.
I disagree. Having two players who produce absolutely nothing and get hemmed into their own zone all game have no business being on the third OR fourth line. A team can’t afford to have a type of player like this, let alone three.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
DnvYJl9WwAA1jNa.jpg

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It wouldn't surprise me to see Dorion move Pyatt soon, especially if we have to make a deal for another goalie on a 1 way six figure contract.

Makes that kind of deal cash in/out and forces Boucher to play a younger player on the roster like Paul.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad