Boucher Favorites: Pyatt and Paajarvi

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
It wouldn't surprise me to see Dorion move Pyatt soon, especially if we have to make a deal for another goalie on a 1 way six figure contract.

Makes that kind of deal cash in/out and forces Boucher to play a younger player on the roster like Paul.
He'll just call up or play another 4th liner more than needed. McCormick. Burdoerfer etc

Multigrain

Sep 9, 2018
Who are the top 3 players that they will move?
Any thoughts if any will be moved by american thanksgiving?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I used to always defend Pyatt. He used to be an excellent puck possession 4th liner who would get close to 10 goals and 20 something points with excellent PK.

This year though.. man he has been abysmal. Like 4th line AHL quality. It's really unusual because he was really solid in pre-season and first 2-3 games at least. But damn. Him and Paajarvi yikes.

I though bottom 6 would be area of strength for us this year in the early going but that quickly evaporated.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Because Aberg has a rep for being a selfish player and a drama queen, and we all know how this org builds their teams.
in a situation like ours we should have picked him up... rebuilding with no first, we should be pickin gup whatever good players we can to at least help us not finish in the bottom 5-10. (will Aberg alone do that? no. should we make trades to force this to happen?no.)

Reactions: bert

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
in a situation like ours we should have picked him up... rebuilding with no first, we should be pickin gup whatever good players we can to at least help us not finish in the bottom 5-10. (will Aberg alone do that? no. should we make trades to force this to happen?no.)

Oh, I agree.

I was stating the probable reason why we didn't pick him up. I never said I agreed with that reason, lol.

Bert asked why. I just gave the most likely response. This org loves "character guys", whereas Aberg has a rep of being a bit of the opposite.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I used to always defend Pyatt. He used to be an excellent puck possession 4th liner who would get close to 10 goals and 20 something points with excellent PK.

This year though.. man he has been abysmal. Like 4th line AHL quality. It's really unusual because he was really solid in pre-season and first 2-3 games at least. But damn. Him and Paajarvi yikes.

I though bottom 6 would be area of strength for us this year in the early going but that quickly evaporated.

Hard to be effective when you are an actual 4th line player with a terrible D core and a below average system. These are the results you get, Pyatt has been good for about 120 games here im willing to let a 12 game stretch where he plays below average slide, he has been playing out of position on a very weak team. Previously he was usually playing in the top 9 with a strong centerman.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It is just a matter of time before these stop gap veterans are pushed out of the lineup, and possibly the NHL.
and guys like Smith & Boedker get pushed down the lineup.. IMO we don't want our prospects to be on the 4th line unless we get to a place where we roll 4 lines. Belleville is important to development as well.. Depleting that roster does nothing for the players that remain down there. We need to have a reasonably competitive team down there to develop the top 6 guys

BUCKLE UP

MVPTP
Nov 30, 2009
Ottawa
hqdefault.jpg

16w

Jun 23, 2003
here is a fun stat...

Among 165 forwards to play at least 700 minutes at 5-on-5 in 2018, Tom Pyatt's points per 60 minutes is #165 (0.59).

Last edited:

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Dorion needs to waive these two. He needs to save Boucher from himself. They are both bad players and Bouxher continues to over play them. They got more minutes than tkachuk and batherson tonight which is BS. This is the Dumont situation all over again.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Pyatt and Pajaarvi have combined for 0 points this season and I think it is time we start questioning whether we need both anymore.

Through 14 games Tom Pyatt has 0 points is a -7, averages 14:05 in time on ice and 19.2 shifts per game. Paajarvi has 0 points and is -2, he averages 13:27 in time on ice and 19.7 shifts per game. Boucher uses Pyatt and Paajarvi as our top penalty killers. In terms of short handed time on ice Pyatt is at 37:13 and Paajarvi is at 35:32. Pyatt has even been used to take draws short handed where he has 11 short handed face off wins and 20 short handed face off loses. Pyatt has 0 short handed give aways and 0 short handed take aways whereas Paajarvi has 1 for both. In terms of shot attempts metrics Pyatt is at -107 and Paajarvi is at -73.

In terms of penalty kill, the Ottawa Senators are ranked 29th in the league with a 68.8% pk percentage. We have the worst road pk at 58.8% and we have the 25th ranked home pk at 74.2%.

Pyatt and Paajarvi certainly hustle and try hard but it is time to question how effective they are. We don't seem to be able to rely on them to contribute anything offensively and they aren't proving to be very effective on the pk so why are they on the roster? Should we get rid of both or should we keep one?

Can we fire our PK coach instead?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Can we fire our PK coach instead?

Fire the PK coach and get rid of pyatt and paajarvi. There is a reason why pyatt has 0 points and paajarvi only has 1 empty net goal for his only point in 17 games. They also are like -10. They are bad players and they are adored by a stubborn coach in Boucher. They shouldn't be in the NHL. Paul and Chlapik can easily replace them. There is no point in having two forwards that can't contribute offensively, are mediocre defensively and weak on the pk. It is obvious that they aren't good. Different coaches would just realize that and replace them

Reactions: derriko

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Fire the PK coach and get rid of pyatt and paajarvi. There is a reason why pyatt has 0 points and paajarvi only has 1 empty net goal for his only point in 17 games. They also are like -10. They are bad players and they are adored by a stubborn coach in Boucher. They shouldn't be in the NHL. Paul and Chlapik can easily replace them. There is no point in having two forwards that can't contribute offensively, are mediocre defensively and weak on the pk. It is obvious that they aren't good. Different coaches would just realize that and replace them

I feel like we could waive Pyatt next season. Honestly I am not concerned about their points totals right now. I am concerned in particular with what Pyatt can teach the rooks. Paajarvi isn't being utilized well enough I feel. He could easily be a serviceable fourth liner with the proper line mates. While agree that Pyatt has been sucking hind tit since the beginning of the season, I still feel like we should keep him. Just be patient and wait until after Christmas. If they are both still pointless and nothing in the upswing then maybe we can consider it. In the mean time, if we expect Paul to be a power forward he needs more time in the AHL, with top minutes.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
pyatt-arvi is out there playing hard so our rooks don't get too banged up

This is how I see it. There's nothing wrong with putting them out there eating up minutes if they're not hurting us. Gives the kids breathing room and can stabilize things. Pyatt-Smith-Paajarvi ate alot of minutes tonight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->