Boston's scoring distribution is off to a fascinating start.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
The Athletic did a big draft analysis of every team and Boston came out #1. The great picks outweigh the misses.

But if you're point is "if every team was perfect at drafting, they'd be great"...then good for you.
Why so snarky, man? Relax.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Always thought, and hoped that Blake Wheeler would become the player he's become. He was excellent but just a bit 'off' in his time in Boston and it actually took him another couple seasons to really realize it.

Losing Marc Savard to $%#^(%'s dirty hit was a massive loss this past decade. He wouldn't still be around but you would've had years of Savard, Bergeron, Krejci down the middle. That would've been sick. The team lost their #1C. They were still one of the best and most consistent teams without him and centre continued to be a strong suit - but that's probably the biggest What If?

Amazing that they have some of the best young RHD in the league despite moving Hamilton.

RWs a bit of a weakness after Pasta as they've cycled through Horton, Seguin, R. Smith, Iginla, Jagr, Eriksson, Peverley for one reason or another so it's not surprising and probably why they took a flyer on Senyshyn.

Did they get Chara before or after Savard? I thought the loss of Savard was one of the reasons they took a run at Chara but I don't remember.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
4 people have scored 80 goals in a season in NHL history. Those people are named Mario Lemeuix, Brett Hull, Wayne Gretzky and Wayne Gretzky again.

Safe to say neither of the two will eclipse the 80 goal mark this season lol.

I know. But Matthews, Marner and Nylander are the next 3 to make it.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Did they get Chara before or after Savard? I thought the loss of Savard was one of the reasons they took a run at Chara but I don't remember.

They signed them at the same time. That same week they traded for Rask and drafted, Kessel, Marchand and Lucic. It was Gordon, after they hired Chiarelli but before he could work for them (but who knows how much they were talking).

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Great picks, I get that, but there’s also some serious head scratches and stretch picks in there too.

Definitely a few stretch picks but it has paid dividends so they've kinda earned themselves the benefit of the doubt.
Bruins somehow ice this team without a former top 10 pick on the roster.

The thing to remember with the Bruins drafting is that they're usually picking in the 20s, plus have traded some 1st rounders away (Horton, Kaberle, Jagr, Nash) because they've been in contention. Despite that, the talent they've been able to accumulate over the years is pretty impressive. Kinda have to compare them to teams like Pittsburgh and Washington or Chicago and Vancouver during their heydays. It's tough to consistently bring in young talent when you're competing every year. Senyshyn and Zboril are the only two recently that haven't lived up to their draft position.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Detroits top line has 65% of the teams goals right now. Seems like a lot of teams have top heavy line ups anymore for some reason.

Think that might be a new trend that will only get more popular. We've seen the Bruins line, Avs line, now Detroit as well along with McDrai+insert winger. I think teams are coming around to the idea that stacking elite talent means that 25-30 percent of the time at ES they get along with the PP time (which overall is accounting for somewhere between 30-40 percent of total ice time) gives them the best chance to score as much as possible. Depth is extremely important, but elite talent for the most part will shred weaker teams and depth has to pop up against everyone regardless.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Imagine if Boston kept Wheeler and Seguin...they would be unstoppable

Nah, it would be more insane if they did the right thing and draft Barzal, Connor and Chabot. They would be running McAvoy AND Chabot AND Krug while having Bergeron - Barzal - Krejci with the big 3 line AND Barzal and Connor on their second line. Barzal on a PP with Pasta, Marchand and Bergeron lol

Reactions: Menzinger

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I thought they were known as the "Ratatouille Line".

A rat, a frenchman and pasta.

remy.gif

Reactions: Treebeard

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Unless you made your account after April 23, 2019, which would make you an infant, you were alive the last time that Boston played Toronto in the playoffs. And we all know your favorite team is Toronto. You’re not fooling anybody.

Incorrect, but you just gained an admirer in the Winter Soldier, so congrats.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Unless you made your account after April 23, 2019, which would make you an infant, you were alive the last time that Boston played Toronto in the playoffs. And we all know your favorite team is Toronto. You’re not fooling anybody.

200.webp

Incorrect, but you just gained an admirer in the Winter Soldier, so congrats.
You admitted in the Marchand thread you watched the Leafs/Bruins game when the Isles were playing. You sure sound like a Leafs fan. You are not fooling anyone here.

Last edited:

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
200.webp

You admitted in the Marchand thread you watched the Leafs/Bruins game when the Isles were playing. You sure sound like a Leafs fan. You are not fooling anyone here.

I've admitted that I'm a Isles fan who likes the Leafs/Tavares, been saying that since the day I joined. JT has been my guy for a decade.

I am a little but surprised that the forum allows you to bring this up in almost every thread I post in - are we not allowed to be fans of multiple teams? You seem to be a fan of every team the Leafs beef with, of all people you should be accepting of people who like multiple teams.

Instead you derail thread after thread trying to "get me" on something I have admitted to at least a dozen times before.

How many Islanders games did you go to last year? I bet it was fewer than me, oh mighty islanders fan.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've admitted that I'm a Isles fan who likes the Leafs/Tavares, been saying that since the day I joined. JT has been my guy for a decade.

If it talks like a Leafs fan, it probably is a Leafs fan. I don't know how many real Isles fans bypass watching their own team play to watch a Leafs/Boston game. Joe is right. You are fooling no one here.

Brad Marchand Spears Jake Muzzin *Twice*

BTW Tavares didn't play Saturday night.

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Anyways, to get past that ugliness, here's an update:

upload_2019-10-21_14-52-24.png

If you would like me to compare it to a particular team, I would be happy to!

Boston's top 3 still contributing 60% of the points earned by the players. Pastrnak absolutely on fire, looks like a Richard candidate early.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad