Boston's scoring distribution is off to a fascinating start.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It has to be pointed out that the Bruins play their stars way less than any other team, so I think in that sense the Bruins depth gets underrated, even though it hasn't translated to production for anyone else so far this year. The biggest offensive stars in the game are getting 17+ ES minutes and up to 4 PP minutes per game. The Bruins trio is hovering around 3 PP minutes per game, but their ES TOI per game is:

Pastrnak - 15:13
Marchand - 14:24
Bergeron - 13:43

Bergeron and Marchand are regularly the top PK duo.

The PP time is just because they score so quickly ;)

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It has to be pointed out that the Bruins play their stars way less than any other team, so I think in that sense the Bruins depth gets underrated, even though it hasn't translated to production for anyone else so far this year. The biggest offensive stars in the game are getting 17+ ES minutes and up to 4 PP minutes per game. The Bruins trio is hovering around 3 PP minutes per game, but their ES TOI per game is:

Pastrnak - 15:13
Marchand - 14:24
Bergeron - 13:43

Bergeron and Marchand are regularly the top PK duo.

I'd like them to try to figure out a way to get Pasta and Marchand out there at 5 on 5 more. Especially Pasta since he doesn't PK. I understand resting Bergeron at his age and with his groin. But double shifting Pasta when they are down is something a hope they do this year.

Clode

Aug 2, 2012
Derry, NH
I'm kind of surprised that McAvoy and DeBrusk are off to slow starts. A lot can change with this kind of sample size, though. 2 big games each and they are back on track.

Debrusk started slow last year too and ended up scoring 27 goals. Hoping he just needs one to go in to get going.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Imagine if Boston kept Wheeler and Seguin...they would be unstoppable

Honestly, that just makes the current team even more incredible. They lost two premier top line forwards and they still are a top 5 contender every year.

Not sure Tyler would fare well, and likely would have knocked most of their picks back anyways, which opens up an entirely different timeline. I will say, though, that Blake would fit right in with the current Bruins team.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The PP time is just because they score so quickly ;)

Id like to see what the number of PP goals Boston has against TB. Its gotta be high and it also would be interesting to see the average time into the PP that they scored those goals because its always seems like it was right after the faceoff or not long after.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Imagine if Boston kept Wheeler and Seguin...they would be unstoppable
Wheeler trade is a weird one. Wheeler kind of sucked at the time and Peverley was legitimately a big part of that Cup winning team. Crazy what Wheeler turned into though.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Also if they didn't blunder their recent drafts....

Damn, so true. I would be sad if Barzy was a Bruin.

On the flip side, what if Marchand didn't pull one of the most amazing late bloomer stories of all time? Or if Pastrnak didn't come out of nowhere to be a top 10 winger in the game?

The what if game goes on and on...

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Damn, so true. I would be sad if Barzy was a Bruin.

On the flip side, what if Marchand didn't pull one of the most amazing late bloomer stories of all time? Or if Pastrnak didn't come out of nowhere to be a top 10 winger in the game?

The what if game goes on and on...

I know McAvoy isn't your guy, but imagine if they went Fabbro (as a lot in the Bruins fan base wanted) in that spot instead. Barzal does sting though. Love watching him play.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I know McAvoy isn't your guy, but imagine if they went Fabbro (as a lot in the Bruins fan base wanted) in that spot instead. Barzal does sting though. Love watching him play.

For the record I think Boston is probably the best 2nd round and later drafting team in the NHL, which is the absolute hardest skill to have.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Realistically, the Bruins current stats are very extreme. Marchand and Pastrnak are not going to each score 80 goals, and guys like DeBrusk are not going to put up goose eggs all year.

The Bruins were a real one line team until they added Coyle and Johanssen last year. In the regular season it was enough to beat the bad teams, but it was very obvious that it wasn't enough against good teams.

I think a god line and defense can get you playoff $$$. Heck its been the Bruins model since I was a kid when they just told Neely and Bourque to do all the scoring an everyone else try to win 0-0... but the teams are too good the further you get in the playoffs to just rely on one line.

Then again, we've heard people tell us that given Marchand had just signed his contract he's gonna ease down and he gave us a 100 pts season.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Then again, we've heard people tell us that given Marchand had just signed his contract he's gonna ease down and he gave us a 100 pts season.

4 people have scored 80 goals in a season in NHL history. Those people are named Mario Lemeuix, Brett Hull, Wayne Gretzky and Wayne Gretzky again.

Safe to say neither of the two will eclipse the 80 goal mark this season lol.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Pastrnak 8 goals, rest of team 11.

4 of those are Marchand.

Top line goes dry, they lose, coming from a B's fan.
Last year:

Out of 65 games Bergeron went pointless in 21 (13 losses) of those games. He only had 4 instances year-round where he was held pointless in back-to-back games.

Out of 66 games Pastrnak went pointless in 22 (14 losses) of those games. He had 6 instances year-round where he was held pointless in back-to-back games, of those 6, twice was held pointless for three games in a row.

Out of 79 games Marchand went pointless in 25 (15 losses) of those games. He had 3 instances year-round where he was held pointless in back-to-back games. In addition, he had 2 instances where he was held pointless for three games in a row.

If their secondary scoring can come through when they are going pointless @ 50% it'll help them pick up atleast 14 points which is huge.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
It is a top heavy forward group, no doubt. But they have Krejci and Debrusk as secondary guys which isnt too bad. They need to add another winger to round out the top 6.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Edmonton chart

pt!errrv.gif

Lmaooo

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Honestly, that just makes the current team even more incredible. They lost two premier top line forwards and they still are a top 5 contender every year.

Not sure Tyler would fare well, and likely would have knocked most of their picks back anyways, which opens up an entirely different timeline. I will say, though, that Blake would fit right in with the current Bruins team.

Always thought, and hoped that Blake Wheeler would become the player he's become. He was excellent but just a bit 'off' in his time in Boston and it actually took him another couple seasons to really realize it.

Losing Marc Savard to $%#^(%'s dirty hit was a massive loss this past decade. He wouldn't still be around but you would've had years of Savard, Bergeron, Krejci down the middle. That would've been sick. The team lost their #1C. They were still one of the best and most consistent teams without him and centre continued to be a strong suit - but that's probably the biggest What If?

Amazing that they have some of the best young RHD in the league despite moving Hamilton.

RWs a bit of a weakness after Pasta as they've cycled through Horton, Seguin, R. Smith, Iginla, Jagr, Eriksson, Peverley for one reason or another so it's not surprising and probably why they took a flyer on Senyshyn.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I am very interested in the resurgence of God-tier lines dominating, and Boston is an excellent example of this.

Have a gander at their current point distribution:

View attachment 265631

Compared to another contender, Carolina:

View attachment 265633

Scoring distribution, by team rank.

View attachment 265627

You can see that there is a pretty even distribution of points across multiple lines, with a large gap between Carolina's 5th-8th scorers compared to the Boston equivalent.

Top 3 scorers:
  • Boston - 59%
  • Carolina - 35%

Might be something to keep an eye on....some general questions I have are:

• Has Boston proven to us that good defence/golatending and 1 dominant line are enough to carry a team (as opposed to the "spread the wealth" strategy of offence)
  • Is this Boston line going to go down as a legendary line? Which lines in recent times would you compare them to?
  • Should more teams be loading up a top line and focusing on limiting scoring chances against with the other lines?

How many goals has Boston’s depth let get scored against them vrs the Canes is probably something needed when evaluating “depth” as long as you outscore the other guys the number you score isn’t a big deal

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Great picks, I get that, but there’s also some serious head scratches and stretch picks in there too.

The Athletic did a big draft analysis of every team and Boston came out #1. The great picks outweigh the misses.

But if you're point is "if every team was perfect at drafting, they'd be great"...then good for you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad