Boston's scoring distribution is off to a fascinating start.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
I am very interested in the resurgence of God-tier lines dominating, and Boston is an excellent example of this.

Have a gander at their current point distribution:

View attachment 265631

Compared to another contender, Carolina:

View attachment 265633

Scoring distribution, by team rank.

View attachment 265627

You can see that there is a pretty even distribution of points across multiple lines, with a large gap between Carolina's 5th-8th scorers compared to the Boston equivalent.

Top 3 scorers:
  • Boston - 59%
  • Carolina - 35%

Might be something to keep an eye on....some general questions I have are:

• Has Boston proven to us that good defence/golatending and 1 dominant line are enough to carry a team (as opposed to the "spread the wealth" strategy of offence)
  • Is this Boston line going to go down as a legendary line? Which lines in recent times would you compare them to?
  • Should more teams be loading up a top line and focusing on limiting scoring chances against with the other lines?
Just one short question: Carolina is a contender?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Did you watch the hockey last year?
I've even watched it this year. We live in the age of hypes. Nobody even tries to be realistic. They will make the playoffs and everybody who makes the playoffs has at least an outside chance, but contender is something different.

Reactions: northeastern

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Edmonton chart

pt!errrv.gif
Love it!

Sniperberg

Mar 30, 2017
I've even watched it this year. We live in the age of hypes. Nobody even tries to be realistic. They will make the playoffs and everybody who makes the playoffs has at least an outside chance, but contender is something different.

Carolina, based on last year and this years form is absolutely a championship-contender.

Reactions: powerstuck

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I am very interested in the resurgence of God-tier lines dominating, and Boston is an excellent example of this.

Have a gander at their current point distribution:

View attachment 265631

Compared to another contender, Carolina:

View attachment 265633

Scoring distribution, by team rank.

View attachment 265627

You can see that there is a pretty even distribution of points across multiple lines, with a large gap between Carolina's 5th-8th scorers compared to the Boston equivalent.

Top 3 scorers:
  • Boston - 59%
  • Carolina - 35%

Might be something to keep an eye on....some general questions I have are:

• Has Boston proven to us that good defence/golatending and 1 dominant line are enough to carry a team (as opposed to the "spread the wealth" strategy of offence)
  • Is this Boston line going to go down as a legendary line? Which lines in recent times would you compare them to?
  • Should more teams be loading up a top line and focusing on limiting scoring chances against with the other lines?

Now look up and do stats on Boston's scoring distribution in the playoffs this past season. The stats may surprise you.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Carolina, based on last year and this years form is absolutely a championship-contender.
Last year they got in on a wild card and ultimately got swept by a contender. This year nothing happened so far. The season is not even 10 games old. Reigning champs were dead last last Christmas. All the Hurricanes had this season is a good start. They still have all their holes. Do you think they will sign an elite starter during the season?

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
a one line team makes it to the cup finals {blowing the opposition out in 3 games... barely losing another in OT} and yes... the guys were all very clearly playing hurt and ended up not having a strong game 7... and this is the ONLY TAKAWAY you wanted to dwell on?

not only are they the best line in hockey... they might actually be one of the most underrated lines too

It was a joke, man. Have another cup of coffee and take a few deep breaths :)

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I need an update after tonight OP!

View attachment 265787

Oh geeze lol

Source for the these? Or do you make them? Interested in toronto's, which is suspect is fairly balanced

I make them in excel

Is this based just from the small sample size of the first 6 games of this season?

Yes

What site did you use for the charts?

I make em

Just one short question: Carolina is a contender?

One short answer: Yes

I am not even sure what point you are trying to make - Carolina was the EC finalist and is once again a top team. Of course they are a contender.

Now look up and do stats on Boston's scoring distribution in the playoffs this past season. The stats may surprise you.

I'd rather not, that's a whole other thread on it's own, and not as interesting to me. One thing is certain though - even scoring distribution seems to be key in the marathon of the NHL playoffs.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I'd rather not, that's a whole other thread on it's own, and not as interesting to me. One thing is certain though - even scoring distribution seems to be key in the marathon of the NHL playoffs.

Exactly. The regular season is just practice for the postseason. This is how they Beat Toronto and exposed their lack of depth scoring.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

If that is the case, then we have 10 or so contenders. That's not how it works for me.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Generally speaking, is it worrying that a given team's single trio is producing 70%+ of their goals so far ? Yes it is.

In Boston's case tho, that trio has been producing at that level for a few years so it's nothing new.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
If that is the case, then we have 10 or so contenders. That's not how it works for me.

There are 10 teams who are currently top 3 in the league and also went to the conference finals last year?

What else do you really need? They were a top 4 team last year and are top 4 this year so far as well.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Boston would be scary good if they added another top six scorer. I think you could say that about a lot of the contenders out there though.

Agreed. Someone like a Radulov would look amazing in Boston, he can drive the play, he can score and he can shoot. Someone like DeBrusk can use his speed and physicality to make sure that line always has the puck.

Another player, and this guy would play more of the classic Bruins style, is Kreider. Big, a bit nasty, and can score goals. Not sure if Krecji is the best fit with him, though. I doubt he's available but Zibby also would be an incredible fit, he's like a Bergeron-lite out there.

Boston looks like they will have some cap space, and they have some easy ways to clear some as well.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
One thing I've learned from this thread is that if Likes matter to you, you are much better off making a comical quip than putting in some effort with the OP :eek: :laugh:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Agreed. Someone like a Radulov would look amazing in Boston, he can drive the play, he can score and he can shoot. Someone like DeBrusk can use his speed and physicality to make sure that line always has the puck.

Another player, and this guy would play more of the classic Bruins style, is Kreider. Big, a bit nasty, and can score goals. Not sure if Krecji is the best fit with him, though. I doubt he's available but Zibby also would be an incredible fit, he's like a Bergeron-lite out there.

Boston looks like they will have some cap space, and they have some easy ways to clear some as well.

Agreed. Kreider would also be a good fit in TB. Maybe our luck getting ex rangers can help us acquire him at the deadline.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Agreed. Kreider would also be a good fit in TB. Maybe our luck getting ex rangers can help us acquire him at the deadline.

Probably for a 2nd rounder and your 12th best prospect!

Actually I shouldn't really make fun of the other trades - Namestiknov didn't work out but Hajek looks incredible.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
14 of the 19 goals they've scored have been by Pasta, Marchand or Bergeron. People talk about the PP as if it isn't sustainable, but honestly I think it is. Their PP has been lights out over an insane sample size since they've been using this set of players.

I still stand by the point that Coyle looks excellent despite the lack of production. If Krejci/DeBrusk can figure it out once Krejci gets back, I do think they have some underrated depth, but the top line drives everything.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Thanks for posting this.

For half a decade now (it's that bad) the 2nd line RW in Boston has needed filling. They rely on the top line throughout the season and then the other lines throughout the playoffs.

Now they have the cap space, prospects and a hole on the 2nd line RW.

DeBrusk - Krejci - XXX

This would take a lot of pressure off the top line and make them even more lethal.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It has to be pointed out that the Bruins play their stars way less than any other team, so I think in that sense the Bruins depth gets underrated, even though it hasn't translated to production for anyone else so far this year. The biggest offensive stars in the game are getting 17+ ES minutes and up to 4 PP minutes per game. The Bruins trio is hovering around 3 PP minutes per game, but their ES TOI per game is:

Pastrnak - 15:13
Marchand - 14:24
Bergeron - 13:43

Bergeron and Marchand are regularly the top PK duo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad