Boston's scoring distribution is off to a fascinating start.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The OP asked a good question, I wish there were more answers rather than jokes.

Not just Boston, but Avs had like 1 good line last year and made some noise. Is hot goaltending and a line that can seem to score at will really better than a balanced lineup like the Islanders last year for example?
The team that just won the cup has depth scoring. I think that's still the recipe for success in this league.

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
Which is ironic because Boston's depth scoring was one of the main reasons they made it to game 7.

Clearly Boston is good enough to go all the way with what they have. If that line had shown up/been healthy in the SCF series they probably would have won. They have 3 strong lines (I'd argue the second line is weak) even if it doesn't always show up on the scoreboard in the regular season. I don't think you can have one great line and 3 ****ty lines and still win.
Everybody is hurt in the SCF. ROR and Tarasenko were playing through injuries and they both showed up.

Reactions: BlueMed

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
I'm kind of surprised that McAvoy and DeBrusk are off to slow starts. A lot can change with this kind of sample size, though. 2 big games each and they are back on track.

Debrusk is starting to emerge as a streaky player. score 5 goals in three games and then disappears for the next five games. Repeat.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am not usually a chart guy, but I love those colored ones. The Wild one would sure have people running for the exits, though.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Realistically, the Bruins current stats are very extreme. Marchand and Pastrnak are not going to each score 80 goals, and guys like DeBrusk are not going to put up goose eggs all year.

The Bruins were a real one line team until they added Coyle and Johanssen last year. In the regular season it was enough to beat the bad teams, but it was very obvious that it wasn't enough against good teams.

I think a god line and defense can get you playoff $$$. Heck its been the Bruins model since I was a kid when they just told Neely and Bourque to do all the scoring an everyone else try to win 0-0... but the teams are too good the further you get in the playoffs to just rely on one line.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I need an update after tonight OP!

upload_2019-10-17_20-36-35.png

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Source for the these? Or do you make them? Interested in toronto's, which is suspect is fairly balanced

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Thought they might have tried a little harder to retain Johansson. Seemed like a good fit for that top 6. Salary cap problems I guess.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Detroits top line has 65% of the teams goals right now. Seems like a lot of teams have top heavy line ups anymore for some reason.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Ya I don’t think this would surprise many Bruins fans. Most level headed ones would like them to add at least one RW that has some hands and can finish. Probably not until the TDL again.

things will balance out a bit eventually. In the meantime they’ll hope the pp stays lights out and those 3 can avoid the injury bug.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Perfectly silent in game 7 last year :popcorn:

a one line team makes it to the cup finals {blowing the opposition out in 3 games... barely losing another in OT} and yes... the guys were all very clearly playing hurt and ended up not having a strong game 7... and this is the ONLY TAKAWAY you wanted to dwell on?

not only are they the best line in hockey... they might actually be one of the most underrated lines too

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Boston is a one-line team that relies too much on the power play to score.

horrible formula that has caused them to only manage the second best record in the nhl regular season over the last 2 years... and 4 playoff round pictures tied with st louis/Washington/vegas for most in the NHL

theres no way this formula can lead to substained success or get them off to their best start yet in year 3 of this run at the top of the league standings they've been on... or... ummm… wait... maybe they do have their eggs in the right basket after all?

get the best line in hockey... ride it to glory... make sure the rest of the team plays championship level defense and that your goaltending is vezina worthy...

works for this bruins fan... go team go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->