Boston's 1st (Toronto)

RogerRoeper*

Forget the picks for a minute.

Would your team sign him for $5.5mill x 5 years as a free agent? That's market rate for what he brings to the table. Teams with lots of wingers would take a pass, as would teams close to the cap.

Now you're underrating him. Teams would lineup to sign him.

Are you really claiming as a UFA Kessel would have a hard time finding a job?

Last edited by a moderator:

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
Forget the picks for a minute.

Would your team sign him for $5.5mill x 5 years as a free agent? That's market rate for what he brings to the table. Teams with lots of wingers would take a pass, as would teams close to the cap.
Michael Cammalleri got $6.0 million a year. FA Kessel is worth $5.4 million. There's no question about that.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
nashville also wanted phil kessel fyi. Phil Kessel was also their leading goal scorer when he was traded. Boston is a very solid defensive team at the moment and could use some offense and it was also their best season when he was there. He's one heck of a player but he has almost no linemates to play with.

We actually have one of the better offenses in the league right now, 7th in the league with 5th within earshot.

Last year the Bruins suffered huge injuries to key players as well as secondary scorers not performing up to snuff. That had a bigger impact in our scoring woes than losing Kessel.

We also needed Rask to not implode in the playoffs the way he did. We had enough offense in the 7th game. What we didn't have was goaltending and to a lesser extent, defensemen who weren't getting caught flat-footed.

RogerRoeper*

We actually have one of the better offenses in the league right now, 7th in the league with 5th within earshot.

Last year the Bruins suffered huge injuries to key players as well as secondary scorers not performing up to snuff. That had a bigger impact in our scoring woes than losing Kessel.

We also needed Rask to not implode in the playoffs the way he did. We had enough offense in the 7th game. What we didn't have was goaltending and to a lesser extent, defensemen who weren't getting caught flat-footed.

You didn't have enough scoring. Once Satan's suprise hot streak in the playoffs came to an end, Boston was in trouble.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Is pointing out Satan not scoring "Bashing" the Bruins? You guys need a thicker skin. Trying being a Leaf fan. That's nothing.

I'm not mad or anything, it just seems all your posts somehow include how Seguin sucks, Knight is overrated, we gravely missed Kessel last year, our offense sucks, Kulemin is better than Lucic etc.

Carry on, just making an observation.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
You didn't have enough scoring. Once Satan's suprise hot streak in the playoffs came to an end, Boston was in trouble.

Had nothing to do with not having a 100% Savvy or losing Krejci to injury (0-4 after he went down), or how about Looch's high ankle sprain that ailed him all year? Nah none of those factors could have contributed to our lack of scoring.

Kessel wasn't going to get that team any further into the playoffs.

Kessel's Career stats Vs. PHI - 16GP - 1G - 5A - Minus 1 +/-

One goal in 16 games, because that's what Kessel does against big physical defenses like Boston and Philly.

Boston signed Lucic, Morris, and Krejci with the money they saved by not signing Kessel. It was an organizational decision, he didn't want to stay the Leafs benefited. So why is this brought up in every thread that involves the Boston (Tor) 2011 1st?

Let it go. Stop trying to prove who won the deal or who made out better because it's a question that won't be officially answer for most likely another 5 years and stop trolling every thread that involves Boston, Seguin, Knight, or this pick.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

You still don't know how to

A. Comprehend an on-going discussion

B. Comprehend hockey and the nuisances behind just stats

Bruins had a 3-0 lead in Game 7 and imploded because Rask couldn't make saves and Wideman and Hunwick's defensive deficiency's were exposed. Having a 3-0 lead in a Game 7 playoff game is enough offense and at that point, we needed a goaltender who could make the big saves, not another defensive liability on the ice like Kessel.

Satan's playoff hot streak fell off once Krejci was injured by Richard's open ice hit. Couple that with Flyers players coming back from the IR, and that hit becomes the turning point and catalyst in the series.

BruinsNeedaRussian

Nov 21, 2009
Is pointing out Satan not scoring "Bashing" the Bruins? You guys need a thicker skin. Trying being a Leaf fan. That's nothing.

He stopped scoring when Krejci went down and we didn't have Savard in full health. I am sure not having your two best offensive players in the playoffs would hurt any team.

RogerRoeper*

Had nothing to do with not having a 100% Savvy or losing Krejci to injury (0-4 after he went down), or how about Looch's high ankle sprain that ailed him all year? Nah none of those factors could have contributed to our lack of scoring.

Kessel wasn't going to get that team any further into the playoffs.

Kessel's Career stats Vs. PHI - 16GP - 1G - 5A - Minus 1 +/-

One goal in 16 games, because that's what Kessel does against big physical defenses like Boston and Philly.

Boston signed Lucic, Morris, and Krejci with the money they saved by not signing Kessel. It was an organizational decision, he didn't want to stay the Leafs benefited. So why is this brought up in every thread that involves the Boston (Tor) 2011 1st?

Let it go. Stop trying to prove who won the deal or who made out better because it's a question that won't be officially answer for most likely another 5 years and stop trolling every thread that involves Boston, Seguin, Knight, or this pick.

Kessel career playoff stats: 15GP 9G 6A 15PTS +8

RogerRoeper*

I'm not mad or anything, it just seems all your posts somehow include how Seguin sucks, Knight is overrated, we gravely missed Kessel last year, our offense sucks, Kulemin is better than Lucic etc.

Carry on, just making an observation.

Seguin doesn't suck at all. He just isn't a 100% lock to be a franchise player.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
Now you're underrating him. Teams would lineup to sign him.

Are you really claiming as a UFA Kessel would have a hard time finding a job?

I never said that at all. I'm saying that Kessel is paid market value, not a discount or a gouging. Some teams would sign him at that price, and others would not.

Do you agree that he is being paid market value, if he was a free agent?

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
Seguin doesn't suck at all. He just isn't a 100% lock to be a franchise player.

No one said he was. You're trying to start arguments based on things that were never said in this thread. It gets old real fast. Take a hike if you have nothing constructive to add.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Kessel career playoff stats: 15GP 9G 6A 15PTS +8

here we go again...

3 playoff series.

1) 07/08 - 8th bruins vs 1st habs - Benched in his first playoff series for floating, not backchecking - (same reasons thats still causing him to get benched this season)

2) 08/09 - 1st bruins vs 8th habs - played well against the 8th place habs. 2g 2a in 4 games,

3) 08/09 - 1st bruins vs 7th canes - HORRID series. Was invisable for almost the entire series except for a 2g performance in 1 out of 7games. When hard hitting playoff type hockey started, kessel went AWOL.

Yea, and this is when you start telling me about how "everyone sucked in the carolina series". And this is where i tell you, kessel (mr playoff guy) sucked the most. Remember, he's the goalscorer. He's the top line sniper, he's supposed to be THE guy you want and need when you HAVE to have a goal. And he was the worst one in that series.

3g 3a in the carolina series - Lucic
4g 4a in the carolina series - Savard
1g 5a in the carolina series - Ryder
3g 2a in the carolina series - Recchi
2g 3a in the carolina series - Kessel

Out of that group for goals scored, only ryder had less goals than him.
Out of that group for total pts, he was tied for the least points.

So the fact that he disappeared against the Canes tells you that he wouldn't against a tougher team Like philly? He was going to toe drag around Pronger?

yea ok. Why don't you tell me how many GWG kessel has in the playoffs? I'll help you, it rhymes with NERO.

Back to the topic at hand However, I wouldn't touch that pick at the deadline.. That pick has a real good chance at being 2-4. Plus the bruins could move higher if they package it + to move up.

Last edited:

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Okay. Let's focus on the draft pick. The reality is that it will most likely be one of the following:

Couturier
RNH
Larsson
Landeskog
Hamilton
Armia
Murphy
Huberdeau
Saad
Strome

Deal with it!

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
Okay. Let's focus on the draft pick. The reality is that it will most likely be one of the following:

Couturier
RNH
Larsson
Landeskog
Hamilton
Armia
Murphy

Huberdeau
Saad
Strome

Deal with it!

Given that the pick will most likely be #3 to #8, and Boston has a glut of Centres - these are the players that could be available. Obviously if Landeskog is available, the Bruins will take him despite their need for future D.

After Landeskog, who do you think Chia will take? IMO it's between Hamilton, Murphy, or Saad.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Given that the pick will most likely be #3 to #8, and Boston has a glut of Centres - these are the players that could be available. Obviously if Landeskog is available, the Bruins will take him despite their need for future D.

After Landeskog, who do you think Chia will take? IMO it's between Hamilton, Murphy, or Saad.

I'm not sure. The Bruins have drafted forwards in the first round for each of the past five years.

That said, a little while back the draft guru on our board (KirkNEHJ) seemed to think that the B's might go with a defenseman this time.

That leaves it down to Hamilton/Murphy. Apparently Hamilton has stepped up his game recently? So I guess Chia might go with him. The B's have a decent number of smaller defensive prospects but no defensemen with top pairing potential and no defensive prospect with prototypical "NHL size".

arsmaster*

Close the thread....how did we know a thread titled Boston's 1st (toronto) would turn into a pissing match between fans of both clubs.

To be honest this has nothing to do with "prospects" and more to do with rival fan bases.

I've seen threads locked for being way less off topic than this....maybe just send it somewhere else, because I am not learning anything new about draft eligible "prospects".

Isnt that the point of this section of the board?

RogerRoeper*

here we go again...

3 playoff series.

1) 07/08 - 8th bruins vs 1st habs - Benched in his first playoff series for floating, not backchecking - (same reasons thats still causing him to get benched this season)

2) 08/09 - 1st bruins vs 8th habs - played well against the 8th place habs. 2g 2a in 4 games,

3) 08/09 - 1st bruins vs 7th canes - HORRID series. Was invisable for almost the entire series except for a 2g performance in 1 out of 7games. When hard hitting playoff type hockey started, kessel went AWOL.

Yea, and this is when you start telling me about how "everyone sucked in the carolina series". And this is where i tell you, kessel (mr playoff guy) sucked the most. Remember, he's the goalscorer. He's the top line sniper, he's supposed to be THE guy you want and need when you HAVE to have a goal. And he was the worst one in that series.

3g 3a in the carolina series - Lucic
4g 4a in the carolina series - Savard
1g 5a in the carolina series - Ryder
3g 2a in the carolina series - Recchi
2g 3a in the carolina series - Kessel

Out of that group for goals scored, only ryder had less goals than him.
Out of that group for total pts, he was tied for the least points.

So the fact that he disappeared against the Canes tells you that he wouldn't against a tougher team Like philly? He was going to toe drag around Pronger?

yea ok. Why don't you tell me how many GWG kessel has in the playoffs? I'll help you, it rhymes with NERO.

Back to the topic at hand However, I wouldn't touch that pick at the deadline.. That pick has a real good chance at being 2-4. Plus the bruins could move higher if they package it + to move up.

You guys have to stop blaming Kessel for that Carolina loss. He's a PPG. player performer. End of Story.

Your captain is a huge zero once the playoffs start and was again in the Carolina series.

arsmaster*

You guys have to stop blaming Kessel for that Carolina loss. He's a PPG. player performer. End of Story.

Your captain is a huge zero once the playoffs start and was again in the Carolina series.

Kessel isnt a prospect anymore...isnt there somewhere else you can discuss him?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Here's what my crystal ball says is going down:

The Bruins send their first two picks (#s 5 and 24) plus a salary dump of their choice to the Islanders for the Isles' 1st rounder (number 2 overall) and BU center Corey Trivino.

Uhhh, yep, that's what's happening...:)

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
Here's what my crystal ball says is going down:

The Bruins send their first two picks (#s 5 and 24) plus a salary dump of their choice to the Islanders for the Isles' 1st rounder (number 2 overall) and BU center Corey Trivino.

Uhhh, yep, that's what's happening...:)

I could live with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad