Boston's 1st (Toronto)

RogerRoeper*

1st of all, those teams (unlike Pittsburgh, Chicago and Boston) don't spend money. 2nd of all, when was the last time those teams picked in the top 2? Atlanta got Heater and Kovalchuk but couldn't put a championship caliber team around him. Same with Columbus and Nash. And Florida hasn't had a high pick in a while.

Using the money issue is an excuse. Pittsbugh was broke but being better helped them increase their budget. Bottom line, getting high picks doesn't guarantee a cup like most claim.

You really think Columbus' problem is simply money? How about Florida? Florida was picked 5-7 years ago as a future cup winner. Their young players like Horton/Boumeester Weiss etc. didn't become the stars they hoped.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
Leafs fan who thinks the Brooins get another lottery pick, only this draft is weak and a top-5 pick in the 2011 draft is hardly an untradeable asset

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Using the money issue is an excuse. Pittsbugh was broke but being better helped them increase their budget. Bottom line, getting high picks doesn't guarantee a cup like most claim.

You really think Columbus' problem is simply money? How about Florida? Florida was picked 5-7 years ago as a future cup winner. Their young players like Horton/Boumeester Weiss etc. didn't become the stars they hoped.

Well, money (or lack thereof) does put certain teams (usually ones in cities that aren't best suited to support a hockey team) at a huge disadvantage. And nobody is guaranteeing that Seguin leads Boston to a Cup. Just saying that getting high draft picks is the easiest and most effective way to build a championship team. You can't really argue that.

TheNorth

Better Call Saul
Feb 16, 2010
Top 10 seems deep this year, even if it isn't top 5 the B's well probably end up with a good player, Seguin + ?????? > who did Toronto get again?

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
If the Leafs had Seguin and their current 5th overall, I am confidant that they are a franchise that would spent to the league maximum to build a contender around those players. Columbus, Atlanta and Florida didn't. Chicago and Pittsburgh did. Toronto would have. Boston will.

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Leafs fan who thinks the Brooins get another lottery pick, only this draft is weak and a top-5 pick in the 2011 draft is hardly an untradeable asset

I agree. The second they drafted Seguin the 2011 1st became tradable. Chiarelli said so himself. I also agree the top 10 is deep before a big drop off. People talk about last years draft being the top two, but jsut look at Fowler and Skinner.

I still believe the Toronto 1st (4th-10th) will be property of another team by the deadline in order for Boston to make a run this year.

RogerRoeper*

If the Leafs had Seguin and their current 5th overall, I am confidant that they are a franchise that would spent to the league maximum to build a contender around those players. Columbus, Atlanta and Florida didn't. Chicago and Pittsburgh did. Toronto would have. Boston will.

The Leafs will spend to the cap max on terrible talent. So yes, they'd do the same for Seguin or anyone.

Again, I disagree money is the reason Atlanta, Florida and Columbus didn't have success rebuilding. Many of their young players just didn't turn out strongly like they hoped.

Chicago themselves got a massive breaking moving up from #4 to first overall getting Kane.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
The Leafs will spend to the cap max on terrible talent. So yes, they'd do the same for Seguin or anyone.

Again, I disagree money is the reason Atlanta, Florida and Columbus didn't have success rebuilding. Many of their young players just didn't turn out strongly like they hoped.

Chicago themselves got a massive breaking moving up from #4 to first overall getting Kane.

That's not the point. As of right now the pick is #5, that's a nice asset to have in any draft, wouldn't you say so RogerRoper? Arguing semantics of rebuild philosophies is not what this thread is about.

Boston could end up with anything from Coutrier (projected #1 Centre) to Murphy (projected PPQB) to a solid #2/3 dman like Hamilton, or 2nd line pwf like Saad.

Who do you think they will take with the pick?

8BostonRocker24

Feb 8, 2006
Silicon Valley
Love seeing how biter Toronto fans are. :laugh:

Year 1:
Phase 1 - Offseason: "That pick won't be top-ten because we're a playoff team"
Phase 2 - Right after awful start: "We get Kessel back, we're still a playoff team with this defense!"
Phase 3 - Right after Toskala / Phaneuf: "We're ready to get out of the bottom 2 now that we've dumped ToskaLOL! and pick up Dion for 3 scrubs!"
Phase 4 - Few days left in the season: "We're almost out of the bottom 2! Almost there!"
Phase 5 - Season ends: "Just need someone else to win the lottery!"
Phase 6 - Boston gets the 2nd pick: "Boston should trade that pick"

Year 2:

:facepalm:

RogerRoeper*

Year 1:
Phase 2 - Right after awful start: "We get Kessel back, we're still a playoff team with this defense!"
Phase 3 - Right after Toskala / Phaneuf: "We're ready to get out of the bottom 2 now that we've dumped ToskaLOL! and pick up Dion for 3 scrubs!"
Phase 4 - Few days left in the season: "We're almost out of the bottom 2! Almost there!"

Year 2:

Leafs fans were wrong last year. Doesn't mean they'll be this year. The standings look vastly different from this time last year.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
looking like 4-8 range this year, maybe top 10 at the worst.

I'd be very surprised if murphy or hamilton arnt drafted by the broons, unless of course they trade the pick for an impact player.

depending on how the bruins do i the playoffs, olesniak would be an interesting target for them with their own pick. 6'7 mobile physical dman.

Bordeleau Of Blood

Archangel
Jul 28, 2005

Year 1:

Year 2:

The only thing you forgot was to sprinkle in "picks and prospects are overrated" here and there.

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
Leafs fans were wrong last year. Doesn't mean they'll be this year. The standings look vastly different from this time last year.

Vastly different?...

The Leafs were 15-20-9 with 39 points last year after 44 games...

This year they are 18-21-5 with 41 points this year after 44 games...

So basically they're 2 points better..and instead of 29th, are 25th..

Vast? Not so much...

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Same.

Last year after one of these winning streaks the Bruins boards were full of Leafs fans adamantly insisting the pick wasn't going to be top ten, let alone top five. We all know what happened. Since then, the Bruins fans have gotten used to this positive outlook.

Long story short, the pick is out of everyones hand and I have given up trying to predict the pick. I also firmly believe that two things make this arguement for both fans moot:

1. Burke overpays in the long term to make sure they aren't top five. His pride dictates so.
2. Boston moves the pick before the deadline.

So in the end, the pick will be made in the 5-10 range by another team. Both fan bases will kiss and make up and go back to mutually hating the Habs.

Both fan bases need to stop using absolute statements that make them look silly.

I agree with #1 but I don't think #2 is going to happen. Chiarelli will most likely trade his own First Rounder again. I don't see him trading the Toronto pick.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Murphy would be a good pick, you guys should have taken fowler second overall last year thou or traded back to third, that kid was great in the WJC, great for Windsor, and has been great this year. He was exactly what you needed, Seguin's good, but not so much what you needed, oh well thou.

I have to disagree with you. They went with the Best Player Available, as they should have.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Vastly different?...

Vast? Not so much...

LOL. Two points different.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Look like a fool to who? You? Why do I care what some kid is saying about me on the internet? :laugh: Get out more.

Anyway..

Wait, wait...let me get this straight. You have 2,200ish posts and you joined 7 months ago. The guy you are quoting has 2,900ish posts and joined in 2002. And you are saying he should get out more? One moment...

hahahahahahaha

That is all....

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

The reason Florida and Columbus didn't have success rebuilding is because they made ****** moves/picks that either didn't work out or were just terrible to start with

i.e: Florida trading Luongo
Columbus' bad drafting (some exceptions)

RogerRoeper*

Vastly different?...

Vast? Not so much...
When I said "Vastly Different", I was referring to the placement of other teams. Look at the East last year compared to this year. Night and day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->