Boston's 1st (Toronto)

RogerRoeper*

I never said that at all. I'm saying that Kessel is paid market value, not a discount or a gouging. Some teams would sign him at that price, and others would not.

Do you agree that he is being paid market value, if he was a free agent?

Just about yes.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Here's what my crystal ball says is going down:

The Bruins send their first two picks (#s 5 and 24) plus a salary dump of their choice to the Islanders for the Isles' 1st rounder (number 2 overall) and BU center Corey Trivino.

Uhhh, yep, that's what's happening...:)

Yeah, I could definitely live with that. The Bruins are in a situation where I think they can afford to target a specific player to fit their championship contending team, as opposed to taking the best player available, building around him, and stockpiling with further draft picks, which is what most other teams in the top 6 will be doing. For me personally, Landeskog and Couturier are the two guys I'd target, and if we're picking outside the top 2 or 3 (which we probably will be) I'd trade up for one of those guys.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Here's what my crystal ball says is going down:

The Bruins send their first two picks (#s 5 and 24) plus a salary dump of their choice to the Islanders for the Isles' 1st rounder (number 2 overall) and BU center Corey Trivino.

Uhhh, yep, that's what's happening...:)
]

No thanks. I want that 24th overall

Last edited:

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I'm not sure. The Bruins have drafted forwards in the first round for each of the past five years.

That said, a little while back the draft guru on our board (KirkNEHJ) seemed to think that the B's might go with a defenseman this time.

That leaves it down to Hamilton/Murphy. Apparently Hamilton has stepped up his game recently? So I guess Chia might go with him. The B's have a decent number of smaller defensive prospects but no defensemen with top pairing potential and no defensive prospect with prototypical "NHL size".

I'm not as high on Hamilton as some. He certainly has size the rest of our prospects lack but I've seen a lot of scouting reports that say he doesn't use his size overly well and that he struggles when forechecked hard which is something all the Bruins blueliners seem to suffer from (again I haven't seen him play enough, this is from scouting reports on him).

I wish Murphy and his skating ability were in Hamilton's body. :(

I just see Murphy as the most dynamic offensive talent after Larsson for D.

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
I think Boston trading two first round picks for the Isles first round pick would be a dumb move, considering that Larson will be picked first overall.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
I think Boston trading two first round picks for the Isles first round pick would be a dumb move, considering that Larson will be picked first overall.

Bruins have a lot of cap space coming up this offseason and a lot of decisions to make up front because of Savard.

IMO if the B's have a chance to move up, they move up and take the BPA at the time. They have the cap space to make a play for one of the many PMDs that will be going on the market this summer.

mooseOAK*

You guys have to stop blaming Kessel for that Carolina loss. He's a PPG. player performer. End of Story.

The sad part is the every Bruins fan knows that Kessel was playing with a shoulder injury that needed major surgery in the off-season.

Kaoz*

They'll draft the player they think is the BPA if it's top 10, just like every other year.

Seriously, if Boston was going to draft by need, they wouldn't have drafted 10 thousand centers already.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
You guys have to stop blaming Kessel for that Carolina loss. He's a PPG. player performer. End of Story.

Your captain is a huge zero once the playoffs start and was again in the Carolina series.

:tmi::tmi:

"HE's A PPG AND THATS FINAL!!!" lmao

haha and there you go. When talking about actual performances, when getting into specifics you turtle to the "but but but he's a ppg player" to help explain about him being invisible when his team needed his prolific toe drag it was no where to be found.

The sad part is the every Bruins fan knows that Kessel was playing with a shoulder injury that needed major surgery in the off-season.
ahh yes, the injury that happened months before the playoffs that was reported to be discomfort for phil but not really affect his mobility. That shoulder sure didn't bother him in the series before, against montreal. Odd.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
:tmi::tmi:

"HE's A PPG AND THATS FINAL!!!" lmao

haha and there you go. When talking about actual performances, when getting into specifics you turtle to the "but but but he's a ppg player" to help explain about him being invisible when his team needed his prolific toe drag it was no where to be found.

ahh yes, the injury that happened months before the playoffs that was reported to be discomfort for phil but not really affect his mobility. That shoulder sure didn't bother him in the series before, against montreal. Odd.

Injured his elbow in the Carolina series, but don't let facts get in the way of your kessel hate.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Injured his elbow in the Carolina series, but don't let facts get in the way of your kessel hate.

the one that had him miss a practice? the one that coach said it was nothing and should be 100% for game 2? Kessel seemed ok in game 5 when he potted 2 goals.

Alot of players were playing banged up, i think recchi even walked into the dressing room still hooked up to IV's after getting kidney stones removed the day before game 7. But IF YOU remember that series, kessel did not play well at all. kessel loyalists/apologist will always give him excuses for his lack of effort. But what was seen in that series from kessel was what everyone has seen in his 5g in 30game streaks he's had every year in his career.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
the one that had him miss a practice? the one that coach said it was nothing and should be 100% for game 2? Kessel seemed ok in game 5 when he potted 2 goals.

Alot of players were playing banged up, i think recchi even walked into the dressing room still hooked up to IV's after getting kidney stones removed the day before game 7. But IF YOU remember that series, kessel did not play well at all. kessel loyalists/apologist will always give him excuses for his lack of effort. But what was seen in that series from kessel was what everyone has seen in his 5g in 30game streaks he's had every year in his career.

whole team underperformed, dont see how it all falls on the shoulders of a 20-21 year old kid. I wouldn't expect anyone that young to constantly be a monster in the playoffs unless your name is crosby.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
whole team underperformed, dont see how it all falls on the shoulders of a 20-21 year old kid. I wouldn't expect anyone that young to constantly be a monster in the playoffs unless your name is crosby.

works both ways...

Some here saying he would of made the difference vs philly when he couldn't do it vs Carolina. ( a weaker team)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
No thanks. I want that 24th overall

Question:
Is Boston better off at this juncture with one of RNH, Couturier, Larsson and Landeskog or with say a Huberdeau/Strome and Musil/Brodin?

My bet is that Bruins would jump at one of the first four, especially if they can throw in a salary dump in the process.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Question:
Is Boston better off at this juncture with one of RNH, Couturier, Larsson and Landeskog or with say a Huberdeau/Strome and Musil/Brodin?

My bet is that Bruins would jump at one of the first four, especially if they can throw in a salary dump in the process.

There is a lot of talk about Murphy. I also can't see the Bruins giving up their 1st to move up to 4th overall and then selecting RNH -- he just isn't what the Bruins need.

Boston would probably be best off with one of the Swedes so if something goes does before draft, I'm guessing it's to pick one of them. I could even see them giving up their 1st to move up from 4th to 2nd.

At this point, the Bruins have a deep pipeline and they also have Minnesota's 2nd. The first priority is going to be getting the guy they want.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
There is a lot of talk about Murphy. I also can't see the Bruins giving up their 1st to move up to 4th overall and then selecting RNH -- he just isn't what the Bruins need.

Boston would probably be best off with one of the Swedes so if something goes does before draft, I'm guessing it's to pick one of them. I could even see them giving up their 1st to move up from 4th to 2nd.

At this point, the Bruins have a deep pipeline and they also have Minnesota's 2nd. The first priority is going to be getting the guy they want.

Agreed. I think they will either move up for Larsson or Landeskog and if they can't get one of them they will settle for Hamilton/Murphy and maybe someone like Jurco with their own pick.

It's not the deepest draft but there are still some quality players 20 - 40 in the draft.

It's tough to say what they'll do because a lot of it has to do with if there is or the B's can get a PMD from free agency and the final diagnosis of Marc Savard.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
I would like to see the Bruins trade up for #2 and get either Larsson or Landeskog. I think Landeskog's style would be of great benefit in the Bruins (current) system of play. Larsson would definitely help off the bat too.
If I can't get either of the two then I wouldn't trade up. I'd take Murphy and Hamilton. Who knows, maybe if RNH falls then We take a risk with him.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I still think trading up with both picks is the least likely option. Heres my thinking...

Courtier looks to fit the Bruins mold to a T, great scorer, great defensively, hard worker. Lang is a great scorer and can hit, which the Bruins could definitely use. RNH is arguably the best scorer in the draft, which the Bruins could obviously use. Larsson is a great potential D man, something the Bruins obviously want/need.

My point is, if we end up with ANY of those four players, we're going to be filling a need and getting a great player...why should we trade another high pick when all four are so close?

And if we dont end up with a top four pick, is moving up two or three spots worth another first rounder in this draft? I dont think so.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Kessel hurt his shoulder in a game against Columbus in the regular season. He wanted to sit out in the playoffs when it was bothering him, but teammates told him to suck it up; other players were playing with worse injuries ( Krejci with a bum hip all season, Rechhi with kidney stones, etc etc ).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->