Boston Vs Florida - Who's the better team?

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I'm not convinced that 4th is between Boston and Florida. Toronto's defense is not that great and Tampa is an up and down team, this might be their down year unless they buck that trend. I think it is a 4 way fight for all 4 spots.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I'm not convinced that 4th is between Boston and Florida. Toronto's defense is not that great and Tampa is an up and down team, this might be their down year unless they buck that trend. I think it is a 4 way fight for all 4 spots.

That is probably the fairest answer, with Florida being the least of the four because of their uncertainty in goal.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
That is probably the fairest answer, with Florida being the least of the four because of their uncertainty in goal.
Boston overachieved last year. However they do have a very good starting goaltender, a great number 1 line, a great shut down centre, and an old Chara is still better than half the D men in this league.

They will battle for a wildcard spot or win the division, super hard team to predict.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I think Floridas forwards are underrated and close to Toronto. Florida has more elite dman maybe less depth. Goalie is a toss up but Lou is damn old.

Toronto has better coaching giving them the edge. Too bad Gallant is no longer in Florida.

I do not see how you came to the conclusion that Florida has better coaching. Cassidy's record has been close to the best in the league in his time in Boston. 68-28-13. I'm not saying Florida doesn't have a fin coach, I am saying that Cassidy has been one of the best since he has taken over so I do not see how you can make that argument on anything factual.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Boston overachieved last year. However they do have a very good starting goaltender, a great number 1 line, a great shut down centre, and an old Chara is still better than half the D men in this league.

They will battle for a wildcard spot or win the division, super hard team to predict.

I'm not so sure that they "overachieved", I think it is more a case of people not realizing that DeBrusk, Heinen, and McAvoy are as good as they are.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017

There is also the chance that their goaltending performs at a higher level than expected or that they acquire a goaltender.

I think it is close, Tampa seemingly has the upper hand, Toronto has the hype but besides adding Tavares they lost Bozak and James Van Riemsdyk. Boston and Florida have some question marks but they could have players who unexpectedly make impacts that would put them right at the top too. It is so close with the top 4 that an injury to an important could derail any team I think.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ

Yes, but they are good enough team to be in the conversation in the Atlantic, as are the Panthers, TB, and Toronto. I do believe Tampa is the best team in the division, but I dont see any team being head and shoulders better than the other three mentioned.

There is also the chance that their goaltending performs at a higher level than expected or that they acquire a goaltender.

I think it is close, Tampa seemingly has the upper hand, Toronto has the hype but besides adding Tavares they lost Bozak and James Van Riemsdyk. Boston and Florida have some question marks but they could have players who unexpectedly make impacts that would put them right at the top too. It is so close with the top 4 that an injury to an important could derail any team I think.

Luongo, and Reimer for that matter, were excellent post All-Star break. If the tandem can be around a .920 save%, the Panthers will be in the hunt for the division, barring injuries elsewhere of course. They were .925% after the break, and which is when you saw the team really begin to make their push.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I'm not so sure that they "overachieved", I think it is more a case of people not realizing that DeBrusk, Heinen, and McAvoy are as good as they are.
Young players that have a chance of suffering through slumps or crumble under the weight of higher expectations. Like i said they are harder to predict. No doubt their young core is talented but you never want to jump the gun and assume there is linear progress in development.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Honestly think 1-4 in the atlantic could go in any order. Think FL and Boston could easily take the division. Also think its possible that another team jumps in. Possibly Buffalo? I wouldnt bet on it but wouldnt be suprised either. To answer the question by the OP, Ill pick Boston right now. FL is too inconsistent to pick them right now.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Young players that have a chance of suffering through slumps or crumble under the weight of higher expectations. Like i said they are harder to predict. No doubt their young core is talented but you never want to jump the gun and assume there is linear progress in development.

I also don't think you want to say they overachieved because you didn't know they were that good.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Honestly think 1-4 in the atlantic could go in any order. Think FL and Boston could easily take the division. Also think its possible that another team jumps in. Possibly Buffalo? I wouldnt bet on it but wouldnt be suprised either. To answer the question by the OP, Ill pick Boston right now. FL is too inconsistent to pick them right now.

Sooner or later Buffalo is going to jump up the ranks, they have to right?:confused:

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I also don't think you want to say they overachieved because you didn't know they were that good.
Did Bruins fans even know they were that good? and i am not talking about being a usual homer. Did anyone in Boston predict the kind of finish they had?

Sooner or later Buffalo is going to jump up the ranks, they have to right?:confused:

That city is cursed.​

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Did Bruins fans even know they were that good? and i am not talking about being a usual homer. Did anyone in Boston predict the kind of finish they had?

That city is cursed.​
McAvoy yes, the others no. Maybe a couple of people but no, not generally. I think it is easy to see at this point that DeBrusk is the real deal along with McAvoy, Heinen has been a little up and down since close to the end of the season last year but Heinen is also a good defensive player who is useful in other ways than just for his offense.

Most people had the Bruins pegged for 3rd/4th in the division but there were a few people who seemed to know that there was more to the team than we were giving them credit for. Once people saw the way the kids handled the league and the way they seemed to be progressing slowly but surely as the season went on and the way they earned their time when they were given the chance, it made me a believer anyway.

I still can see them finishing anywhere in the top 4 in their division, all the teams are good and I can't say that I see any team as being so far above the others that an injury or bad performance from a player that they are expecting big things from wouldn't knock them down to everyone else's level or lower. It's that close.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Boston without a doubt. They always get slept on. They have great players on that team. Defense looks solid.

Cassidy is also a very underrated coach

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I am not used to the idea that Florida has good players and may make the playoffs.

To answer the OP, Boston.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
This should be a poll and Florida fan saying Boston by quite a bit. Florida's a wildcard team but no chance of top 3 barring significant injuries to BOS, TBL or TOR.

Can a projected playoff team surprise? Almost all pundits have them in a playoff spot, I usually consider dark horse like expected to finish 14th and could challenge for 8th.
I consider them a dark horse to actually win a round or two. I don't think they will, but it won't be a complete shocker to me if they do. They have some serious talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad