Boston Vs Florida - Who's the better team?

SunDevilHockeyFan

Bertuzzi's Italian Kitchen
Feb 1, 2018
Eugene OR / Orange County CA
This is shaping up to be the biggest question in the Atlantic this year - the 4th spot, after all, is not guaranteed a playoff spot, and with the Metro being a far more competitive division there's always the chance they take both wildcards. Toronto and Tampa seem to be considered the top 2 teams in the division, but predicting which one of Boston and Florida is better: who you got?

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This is shaping up to be the biggest question in the Atlantic this year - the 4th spot, after all, is not guaranteed a playoff spot, and with the Metro being a far more competitive division there's always the chance they take both wildcards. Toronto and Tampa seem to be considered the top 2 teams in the division, but predicting which one of Boston and Florida come 3rd: who you got?
I’d have Boston ahead of Toronto for second place personally. Just like last year. Then Toronto and then Florida.

Last edited:

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
Boston. Florida has improved and will probably play better than last year but Boston hasn't gotten worse either. That monster first line will carry them to the playoffs

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
lol

A year ago we had the same garbage and Boston had massive injury problems and still almost won the division. Moneypuck has Boston as the best team in the NHL.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
This should be a poll and Florida fan saying Boston by quite a bit. Florida's a wildcard team but no chance of top 3 barring significant injuries to BOS, TBL or TOR.

Florida is a huge dark horse to surprise but I can't see them being better than Boston.

Can a projected playoff team surprise? Almost all pundits have them in a playoff spot, I usually consider dark horse like expected to finish 14th and could challenge for 8th.

SunDevilHockeyFan

Bertuzzi's Italian Kitchen
Feb 1, 2018
Eugene OR / Orange County CA
lol

A year ago we had the same garbage and Boston had massive injury problems and still almost won the division. Moneypuck has Boston as the best team in the NHL.

yeah, i'm a Bruins fan myself, and I think Boston is better than Florida easily but I saw so many answers in the predictions thread with the latter over the former I was wondering if my opinion was just based off bias.

Figured I'd open it up to the forum and read the responses to try to get a better sense of the rationale.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Boston. I don't really get where the general thinking that Boston is going to fall off this year comes from. I don't think they really had any major loses that are going to set them back in the standings a significant amount, unless I'm overlooking something?

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Would it surprise anyone if Florida was better? Not really. That said you have to give the benefit of the doubt to Boston. They've made the playoffs the last two years and had 112 points last season.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I see Tampa first then the Bruins and the Leafs fighting it out for 3rd, Florida a solid 4th, then a drop off in the Atlantic

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Bruins.
Luongo being healthy all season long would make things close imo (since Rask hasn't broken .920sv% in a while), but it's unlikely he'll be healthy all season and I don't trust Reimer.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Panthers fan saying Bruins.

Not impossible for Panthers to finish ahead, but would probably take a huge injury to Rask/Pasta/etc

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Boston. I don't really get where the general thinking that Boston is going to fall off this year comes from. I don't think they really had any major loses that are going to set them back in the standings a significant amount, unless I'm overlooking something?

We didn't make many acquisitions at all, but McAvoy/Carlo/DeBrusk/Heinen/Donato/etc. were all rookies or sophomores and each of them look to improve. Our improvements are much quieter than other teams. As long as we stay healthy (as I say this Krug is put on the IR) we're a much better team, and a much more experienced one.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Boston is not as good as people think and Florida is better than people think.

member 157595

I do think the Panthers are a playoff team this year but Boston is still better.

Varcus

Dec 3, 2015
Well it would not shock me to see Florida in the top 3. Tampa Toronto and Boston imo have better rosters on paper. But it’s hockey so anything can happen

hirawl

Used Register
Dec 27, 2010
Should read Toronto vs. Florida tbh. And I would say FLA all the way.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I think Floridas forwards are underrated and close to Toronto. Florida has more elite dman maybe less depth. Goalie is a toss up but Lou is damn old.

Toronto has better coaching giving them the edge. Too bad Gallant is no longer in Florida.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad