Boston Vs Florida - Who's the better team?

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
i have a feeling the entire division wont be settled until the final week of the season. Boston, Tampa and Toronto could all be battling for first with Florida battling for 2nd/3rd/4th.

Florida will go with Luongo though.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
As a lifelong B's fan that grew up literally in the shadow of Bank Atlantic/BB&T, currently the Bruins in all aspects but this could be the year Florida takes a step forward and challenges for the number 3 spot in the Atlantic. Though I'm not sure how deep Florida is compared to Boston which is probably our best strength.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Boston should be the favorite but it's possible the Panthers finish ahead

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Another Panthers fan; pretty much agree with everyone above. We might be able to finish ahead if everything goes well but right now Boston is the correct answer.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Reminds me of the “who finishes 3rd in Atlantic” poll from last year that left out Toronto.

That's exactly what I thought. Still one of my favourite threads from last year.
I love how Toronto is suddenly some unstoppable juggernaut while the 112 point Bruins are going to suddenly regress a tonne, despite being one of the most consistent teams in the league for over a decade

That's in no way a slight against Florida. I actually think they'll come in third. Just not the Bruins or Lightning that they'll be finishing ahead of.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
This is shaping up to be the biggest question in the Atlantic this year - the 4th spot, after all, is not guaranteed a playoff spot, and with the Metro being a far more competitive division there's always the chance they take both wildcards. Toronto and Tampa seem to be considered the top 2 teams in the division, but predicting which one of Boston and Florida is better: who you got?

In response to the bolded, if anything I think that means they may send less Wildcards. The Atlantic has a much weaker bottom half, so the good Atlantic teams will likely be able to feast on playing Ottawa, Montreal, and Detroit so often.

As to answer the main point of the thread, I think Florida will surprise a lot of people. I think both of them make the playoffs, but with Florida as the divisional seed and Boston as a WC. Boston's top talent is sick, and they've got a decent amount of quality youth, but some of their most important pieces are still a year older, and they lost some depth. Florida on the other hand got stronger on paper and, if anything, benefit from another year of experience.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Boston. The Panthers have a formidable core, but the Bruins are the better team when you look past top lines.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Pretty easily Bruins.

Bruins will fight Tampa for 1st place. Toronto will probably be 3rd.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Bruins until the Panthers show otherwise.

Panthers will be great and a powerhouse sooner than later but the bruins drafting has kept them in the upper echelon of teams for a hot minute.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
lol

A year ago we had the same garbage and Boston had massive injury problems and still almost won the division. Moneypuck has Boston as the best team in the NHL.

I'd never heard of this moneypuck before so I looked it up and it has WSH ranked 15th. Perhaps you should look to other sources to confirm your biases as that place seems like a joke.

That's exactly what I thought. Still one of my favourite threads from last year.
I love how Toronto is suddenly some unstoppable juggernaut while the 112 point Bruins are going to suddenly regress a tonne, despite being one of the most consistent teams in the league for over a decade

That's in no way a slight against Florida. I actually think they'll come in third. Just not the Bruins or Lightning that they'll be finishing ahead of.

Are people really saying that? If they are then I'd be curious to hear their reasoning, I'm a Leaf fan and I think TB, BOS and the Leafs are all really good, wouldn't be a surprise to see any of them win the division.

So my answer is BOS>FLA.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
I'd never heard of this moneypuck before so I looked it up and it has WSH ranked 15th. Perhaps you should look to other sources to confirm your biases as that place seems like a joke.

Are people really saying that? If they are then I'd be curious to hear their reasoning, I'm a Leaf fan and I think TB, BOS and the Leafs are all really good, wouldn't be a surprise to see any of them win the division.

So my answer is BOS>FLA.
No one is saying that. Just hyperbole from the usual suspects because they don't know how to formulate a sentence without adding "Toronto bad" somehow.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Pretty comfortable stating Boston is better than Florida. I like Florida to grab a spot this year as well.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Boston is not as good as people think and Florida is better than people think.
Agree. Florida had almost 100 points last season (usually enough for playoffs) and that was with a new coach and early struggles. They added Hoffman and things are looking up for them. It's a matter of how their goaltending and defense holds, but they could do some damage.

With Boston Krejci and Chara are not just getting up there but actually are already up there. Not sure how they will hold on this season. Good team still, but I could see Florida taking the #3 spot.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Boston is overrated AF for some reason, they barely got through the Leafs who made major blunders in the series, disappearances from Andersen, Matthews, Nylander, God awful coaching decisions from Babcock and Naz being Naz and getting suspended, still needed the final 10 minutes of game 7 to close it out. They then got rekt by Tampa.

Would not be surprised if Florida surpassed them this year, Boston is not in the Toronto or Tampa tier anymore, both teams got better and Boston is relying on a 42 year old to anchor their D and yes Boston has good young players and a stud in Mac, but that's not enough to compete with the primed-prime talent in Toronto and Tampa while they only have effectively one line that can really produce for them.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Agree. Florida had almost 100 points last season (usually enough for playoffs) and that was with a new coach and early struggles. They added Hoffman and things are looking up for them. It's a matter of how their goaltending and defense holds, but they could do some damage.

With Boston Krejci and Chara are not just getting up there but actually are already up there. Not sure how they will hold on this season. Good team still, but I could see Florida taking the #3 spot.
Backes, Rask, Bergeron, Marchand, Krecji are all 30-34 years old. Like you mentioned, Chara is 41 years old now...we saw Carlo take a significant step back last season, and they traded McQuaid for futures to get him in to the lineup this year.

They also lost Rick Nash, Tim Schaller and Riley Nash to free agency.

We're looking at sophomore seasons from McAvoy, Debrusk, Heinen, etc. Could they slump or stagnate like many do in their 2nd season? Potentially.

Let's not forget they had very little hype going in to last season and surprised almost everyone with an unpredictably hot second half. The season before that they were unspectacular, and the two years before that, they missed the playoffs consecutively with this core.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
Backes, Rask, Bergeron, Marchand, Krecji are all 30-34 years old. Like you mentioned, Chara is 41 years old now...we saw Carlo take a significant step back last season, and they traded McQuaid for futures to get him in to the lineup this year.

We're looking at sophomore seasons from McAvoy, Debrusk, Heinen, etc. Could they slump or stagnate like many do in their 2nd season? Potentially.

Let's not forget they had very little hype going in to last season and surprised almost everyone with an unpredictably hot second half. The season before that they were unspectacular, and the two years before that, they missed the playoffs consecutively with this core.

Are these things actually negatives when discussing how they will finish THIS year.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
No one is saying that. Just hyperbole from the usual suspects because they don't know how to formulate a sentence without adding "Toronto bad" somehow.

Boston is overrated AF for some reason, they barely got through the Leafs who made major blunders in the series, disappearances from Andersen, Matthews, Nylander, God awful coaching decisions from Babcock and Naz being Naz and getting suspended, still needed the final 10 minutes of game 7 to close it out. They then got rekt by Tampa.

Would not be surprised if Florida surpassed them this year, Boston is not in the Toronto or Tampa tier anymore, both teams got better and Boston is relying on a 42 year old to anchor their D and yes Boston has good young players and a stud in Mac, but that's not enough to compete with the primed-prime talent in Toronto and Tampa while they only have effectively one line that can really produce for them.

I love that right after your post @Nizdizzle these two show up.

Reactions: Bergyesque

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Boston lost their #3 C and have no good bottom 6 C's. Bergeron already missed games last year and missed games this year already. Krejci has been declining for a few years now. Tampa and Toronto are unquestionably better teams this year, so I think it's a fair question.

I take florida here. They have a better top 6 IMO (younger and Barkov => Bergeron) and defense is a wash. I take Rask over the Panthers goaltending but with that said it's not such a massive difference that Boston will be higher than them.

Interesting thread OP.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad