Pre-Game Talk: Boston @ Toronto - Saturday Jan 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Just admit you didnt fact check. A 7 game series loss isnt a good argument

I knew the stats already when I posted that. I knew Andy had a winning record and looked good and the Leafs beat them last year. I was going to say it in the post but didn't bother.

I added on after you quoted me, but this is since the series. Every game this year they play scared, and as the series went on, the team was more and more intimidated.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Now do the playoffs. Marner is the only one who isn't intimidated and that's because he has been a small guy getting bullied his whole life. This stuff only started last season. They were fine in the regular season but the playoff series really ****ed with the team.

I wish I could confidently say that none of this is true.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Go out and make it a war. From shift one run over as many Bs as you can. Get the refs to the point where they start panicking to the point they have to start making make-up calls. Make it a special teams battle. If we lose we show them another look to worry about for the playoffs.

Just don't keep trying what has failed in the past. That just shows weakness and inability to adapt.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I knew the stats already when I posted that. I knew Andy had a winning record and looked good and the Leafs beat them last year. I was going to say it in the post but didn't bother.

I added on after you quoted me, but this is since the series. Every game this year they play scared, and as the series went on, the team was more and more intimidated.
What? Since the first two games, the leafs went on to win 3 of the next 5 in the playoffs. They're fine

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
I wish I could confidently say that none of this is true.

I would 100% love to be wrong. I would LOVE to meet them in the playoffs and win and have @CantLoseWithMatthews and co laugh at me and bump my posts. I will sit there and take it with a smile.

I'm just trying to be realistic. Last year I let the hype get a hold of me and playoffs were crushing. This is still the Leafs after all. I need them to prove it before I give them the credit.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011
What? Since the first two games, the leafs went on to win 3 of the next 5 in the playoffs. They're fine

Ok then. Neither one of us can prove we are right. Let's put this off until later in the year. Saturday will be a little bit of a preview but even if they win it doesn't mean much. If they beat them in the playoffs I will admit I was wrong. However if they face them again I am willing to bet it's another 1st round exit.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Last year's playoffs shouldn't be demoralizing. We had Andersen play his worst hockey of the season, we lost Kadri for almost half the series, and we still almost pulled off an incredible comeback down 3-1 in the series.

If both teams are healthy and firing on all cylinders, we can beat them. They have the edge in playoff experience and on the blueline, but I think we have more talent overall. We just can't let them push us around and we need to get over the psychological hump. We have owned them in the regular season in recent years.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would 100% love to be wrong. I would LOVE to meet them in the playoffs and win and have @CantLoseWithMatthews and co laugh at me and bump my posts. I will sit there and take it with a smile.

I'm just trying to be realistic. Last year I let the hype get a hold of me and playoffs were crushing. This is still the Leafs after all. I need them to prove it before I give them the credit.

I was pretty realistic going last year. I put a lot of faith in what the oddsmakers say and IIRC, we were about 42-43% to beat them. I thought that was a bit low (I would have said 46-47%) but still accepted the fact that we were underdogs and thus losing wasn't a big shock (although the way it happened was incredibly painful).

Right now I see it the same as last year - whoever has the home advantage will be a small favourite, that's it. But people who think we're just so much more talented and added Tavares and whatever else and thus will win easily are nuts IMO. If we do play them it should be a super tough series that could easily go down to the 3rd period in game 7 again. I really hope it doesn't because if it does, I think I have to give the edge to Boston at this point. Hopefully we wipe them out in 5 and then we can forget about them for a while but that's going to take some doing.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I was pretty realistic going last year. I put a lot of faith in what the oddsmakers say and IIRC, we were about 42-43% to beat them. I thought that was a bit low (I would have said 46-47%) but still accepted the fact that we were underdogs and thus losing wasn't a big shock (although the way it happened was incredibly painful).

Right now I see it the same as last year - whoever has the home advantage will be a small favourite, that's it. But people who think we're just so much more talented and added Tavares and whatever else and thus will win easily are nuts IMO. If we do play them it should be a super tough series that could easily go down to the 3rd period in game 7 again. I really hope it doesn't because if it does, I think I have to give the edge to Boston at this point. Hopefully we wipe them out in 5 and then we can forget about them for a while but that's going to take some doing.
Would love nothing more than to make quick work of them. A 7 game series with the Bruins isn't good psychologically for this team and by the time that series is over even if the Leafs win they'll likely be exhausted.

Kamiccolo

Aug 30, 2011

I agree with you. It's like Babcock says, no matter who you are playing if you don't work hard you won't win. The league is too close. This is especially true over a 7 game series where skill might win you a few but hard work is more reliable.

I was hoping the team learned that lesson last year after some of the play by our best players but I am not sure man. I am not convinced there is another gear the team can turn on when they want like a lot of vet teams but they seem to think they have it.

I'd argue that their "next gear" where they play 60 minutes once a week should be their standard and to win a cup they need to find one after that.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Would love nothing more than to make quick work of them. A 7 game series with the Bruins isn't good psychologically for this team and by the time that series is over even if the Leafs win they'll likely be exhausted.

Well, it would be good psychologically if we win. :)

I guess it's always better to win as fast as possible but especially in this case. It would be really hard for our players to go into game 7 and not have the past weighing on them to some extent.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Why does this feel like it will be a statement game for Naz? Not sure I want Nylander matching up vs Marchand-Pasta and Bergy though.

Will JT be clutch or anti-clutch?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

regular season success against a team means nothing. we don't have to go too far for examples

sens owned the leafs in the regular season with alfie, spezza, heatly line; then came playoffs and leafs mopped the floor with them; Twice!

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
We need to start Andersen and we need to win this game.

This Bruins team, or should I say the Bruins top line needs to get out of our heads since there's a decent chance we'll be seeing them in the first round.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I agree with you. It's like Babcock says, no matter who you are playing if you don't work hard you won't win. The league is too close. This is especially true over a 7 game series where skill might win you a few but hard work is more reliable.

I was hoping the team learned that lesson last year after some of the play by our best players but I am not sure man. I am not convinced there is another gear the team can turn on when they want like a lot of vet teams but they seem to think they have it.

I'd argue that their "next gear" where they play 60 minutes once a week should be their standard and to win a cup they need to find one after that.

I agree, this team has to somehow figure out how to get the most out of their talent. Talent doesn't mean a thing without the consistent effort and without it, you just don't survive for long in the playoffs it's that simple.

When Hyman's work led to that goal last night I was thinking about the kind of player Nylander would be if he had half the work ethic that Hyman does, but I digress ...

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Would have loved to see a task master like Hitch or Keenan get hired on as assistant coach, good cop bad cop thing. We need someone to be the bad guy and call out our stars (in private). Some of them seem to be coasting a bit lately, AM, JG, Kappy

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Now do the playoffs. Marner is the only one who isn't intimidated and that's because he has been a small guy getting bullied his whole life. This stuff only started last season. They were fine in the regular season but the playoff series really ****ed with the team.

IMO Leafs had the control in Game 7; they had a lead going into 3rd period

babcock had all his centers on the bench for a 4 on 4 play; sent out marleau-marner

Freddy gave up a soft goal on a un-screened shot by krug; and then....

Jake Gardiner's stupidity took over Game 7. He kept on making stretch pass after stretch pass; I don't understand till this day why did Gardiner kept making the same plays when they were failing....

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
regular season success against a team means nothing. we don't have to go too far for examples

sens owned the leafs in the regular season with alfie, spezza, heatly line; then came playoffs and leafs mopped the floor with them; Twice!

I would add that there's no point in talking about how good we've been against Boston in the regular season because this season this hasn't been the case, quite the opposite actually, we've looked terrible. IMHO, beating them and looking good in doing it would help us, it wouldn't help much but it would help a bit and at this point, every little bit helps considering our history. For Boston it doesn't matter though, if we play them again in the playoffs they will be very confident no matter what happens during the regular season considering the history. To make a long story short, tomorrow's game means more to us than it means to them.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We need to start Andersen and we need to win this game.

This Bruins team, or should I say the Bruins top line needs to get out of our heads since there's a decent chance we'll be seeing them in the first round.

If that is the case, no better way to get them out of our heads than getting into theirs. I'm chopping, poking, giving that extra face wash, if you're gonna lose , might as well get in their heads. A little chop on the back of the leg behind the knee or by the Achilles always feels great... ;) Ref watching? Nope? I'm hacking.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Go out and make it a war. From shift one run over as many Bs as you can. Get the refs to the point where they start panicking to the point they have to start making make-up calls. Make it a special teams battle. If we lose we show them another look to worry about for the playoffs.

Just don't keep trying what has failed in the past. That just shows weakness and inability to adapt.

That might work but we don't have the guns for a war. The game will be more like a run for the hills. All the warhorses are gone and our GM has no interest in going to war.

Bruins will forcheck hard and compete hard and we will get penned in their own zone and/or cough up the puck and hope our goalie can keep it close. Nylander will be absent at even strength. After attempts are made to hurt our skilled players, Tavares and Kadri may step up and end up in the box, because no one else has courage to step up. Many posters here will say that it's only one game...look where we are in the standings...no need to panic...

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
If that is the case, no better way to get them out of our heads than getting into theirs. I'm chopping, poking, giving that extra face wash, if you're gonna lose , might as well get in their heads. A little chop on the back of the leg behind the knee or by the Achilles always feels great... ;) Ref watching? Nope? I'm hacking.

We won't win a war of attrition versus Boston.

We have to focus on out-scoring them pure and simple.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
We won't win a war of attrition versus Boston.

We have to focus on out-scoring them pure and simple.

the smurf habs back in the day skated circles around the bruins d-men and beat them with speed and skill.

that said, that habs team had compete in their smaller players even; look at gallagher he is like what? 5'7? look at his compete level.

if our skilled guys show compete and speed boston is toast; if our skilled guys only rely on skill boston is gonna run away with the game.

i call out babcock on many things but i cannot dispute when babs says "if you put skill before your work; you won't have much success"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad