Pre-Game Talk: Boston @ Toronto - Saturday Jan 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It really comes down to if our stars don't mind losing a tooth or coming out of a Boston series with a few bruises and scars.

TBL won that series fairly easily, makes you wonder if the skill gap between us an them is that big or if they just have a better system.
The Cup is won by stats you can’t measure.
Sure you can tally it all up at the end and say save percentage was this or Corsi was that but it’s the key moments you refused to lose a battle, that one or 2 giant saves that don’t really change the save percentage by that much on paper but in a series it did.

The will to take a big hit/block a shot or whatever to win.

That needs to be proved on the ice.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
I didn't realize so many Leafs fans lived in fear of the Bruins. You'd think the Leafs lost in 4 and not 7.

Fortunately I doubt the players carry that kind of baggage. On the contrary they probably know how close they were to winning it. Now add John Tavares to that mix.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitchy and Jozay

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
In last year's playoffs the leafs were completely unprepared to start and Boston blew them out in the first 2 games of the series.

That could easily happen again if they meet this year.
That's why we should be afraid of the big bad bruins

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
I didn't realize so many Leafs fans lived in fear of the Bruins. You'd think the Leafs lost in 4 and not 7.

Fortunately I doubt the players carry that kind of baggage. On the contrary they probably know how close they were to winning it. Now add John Tavares to that mix.

That's the biggest thing this year, Tavares. Not only can he lead by example he is an absolute pro off the ice. He is a bigger factor than most realise and could easily be the difference between a first round exit or a deep run.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

Yeah. The thing that I'm most surprised over is how so many have this weird view on what caused our biggest issues. It wasn't that they outworked us and owned us physically. We held up very well at 5-on-5. They absolutely destroyed us on the PP though. The best thing we could have done that series was stay disciplined, and corrected whatever was going on with our PK. If we did, we probably win that series and none of this talk about toughness occur.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Yeah. The thing that I'm most surprised over is how so many have this weird view on what caused our biggest issues. It wasn't that they outworked us and owned us physically. We held up very well at 5-on-5. They absolutely destroyed us on the PP though. The best thing we could have done that series was stay disciplined, and corrected whatever was going on with our PK. If we did, we probably win that series and none of this talk about toughness occur.

They baited the Leafs into playing their game, which they are much better at. Tampa - a more experienced skill team - on the other hand just continued to out skill them. I think that's the gameplan we should be following. You can't goon it up when you need to tie the game.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
In last year's playoffs the leafs were completely unprepared to start and Boston blew them out in the first 2 games of the series.

That could easily happen again if they meet this year.
That's why we should be afraid of the big bad bruins

Yup...

Last year there was some Hubris and naievity since we swept them during the season. 80% of this thread was not worried due to an aging Chara and how they have 1 line.

We saw what happened...
Totally caught offguard at how a team kicks into another gear during playoffs.

This year we lost some plugs and gained some talent. We are also not as naieve this season.

And neither are the Bruins... they have learned to play us even better.

I have faith in us... but to overlook them as a very formidable opponent is like the soldier going into war and saying 'im NOT afraid'!! While hearing bombs go off 10 feet away.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
If eh uh, Frederik the Great is playing, we truly have mustard and mayonneise top of chance to win this one against the bruins. If we have the second goalie against this hard club, it'll be more difficult. We need our forecheckas hyman and kadri for example playing to the fullest, just like they doos, but it'll still be difficult. The bruins are a tough and rough team with their puffs. We needs that forechecka game real hard here. Gladly Hyman is bezack.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
We need this...for separation in the standings, and for a mental boost. And we need to start practicing our "A game" against the top division contenders.

I predict a Magical Marner mesmerizing the Bruins with a top performance.

Once

Jul 16, 2010
We took em to game 7 with Bozak and JVR.

People forget that we have JT, a guy who put a team on his back and won a playoff series. To be honest, he is probably salivating over home ice advantage and an almost guaranteed playoff spot.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Sieg Andy!!!!! :fist: :pump: :celebration: :party: :head: :leafs: :leaf: :smoke: :still dre: :still: :dre: :andy: :high: :cloud: :sun: :rain: :windy: ::

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I want to see Gauthier go beast mode and destroy everything he sees.... And Rielly catch Maratchand with his head down, coming across the blue line.....

Boom.

ZippityDooDa

Dec 22, 2018
Believe me , I wish he was still here too.

Especially since he had such chemistry with the team. Him and Marner were close and he's the exact component we lack and need at the moment. Plus Tavares is here now.

Who'd you rather have on the 4th line? Matt Martin or Lindholm/Brown/Gauth/even Marleau. Easy choice is Martin.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Nevermind that Kadri missed almost half the series, Matthews had a bad series relative to expectations and Andy was uncharacteristically bad in 4 of the games. Add JT and I'd be shocked to see us lose to them this go around.

Rogue

Jun 21, 2017

I am afraid, because they are a very dirty team and I fear injuries.
I remember how they almost concussed Freddy during the playoffs and I believe that they will try to do that again.
So my fear is actually having to face them without our goalie. :(

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
The bruins don’t like to be hit anymore than the leafs. They are bullies who know there is no one to threaten them. The problem being we have too many soft players that won’t hit or take a hit to make a play. What happens when they run Freddy. Who do we have to push back. No one at all.

We can win a game against them but
If this is our team for the playoffs we can’t beat them in a seven game series.

The nhl is the only sport in the world that the rule book goes out the window in the playoffs. This is a fact. The refs have too much control of the games and this doesn’t help our chances as we cannot play that type of game the way we are built. The refs attitude is let them play which basically means do whatever you want your not getting a penalty.

Until both Matthews and nylander decide to get involved in the physical side of the game they will always be shut down in the playoffs against Boston.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Because we still lost. Trying to talk up our defeat last season is pointless. Kadri got suspended in that series. We had him at the start, he did something dumb, and then we had him to end the series. We had to claw back to even get to Game 7. Three of the 7 games we were just blown out while all of our three wins were by only one or two goals. And no I don't think our star players being utterly shut down when the games mattered the most is a positive we can take from it.

People are worried about the Bruins because the Leafs are afraid of the Bruins. Not as if they've been great against them this season either. We've won a solid game and been blown out twice. It shouldn't be some sort of mental puzzle. If you aren't worried about Boston that's fine. But pretending you don't get why people are is just silly.
Is it talking up a loss or just demonstrating how close it really was? It's not like we were dominated by the Bruins, and really it was self inflicted wounds that were our undoing, not some juggernaut that schooled us. True, their top line showed their experience and sauvy, ours showed their inexperience and youth, but that isn't a permanent state. I guarantee we will look a lot better to start this series, than last year, it's a process.

It's akin to this fact, last year we couldn't hold leads, we blew so many in the third period. Look at us this year, no comparison. Young core learning how to win, young core learning what it takes in the playoffs. The Leafs aren't a static consideration, we will be better and the Bruins should fear us as well, we're good, real good!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Marner, Hyman and Plekanec were our best players. That’s simply not good enough when you are committing big dollars to a core in the future.
Now Tavares wasn’t there so no data available.

You can stay disciplined but you really have no control on how a series is officiated. You must be able to adapt to all situations.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Our players will be the only ones playing scared. Are you a young-ling?

Um yes, I'm 10+39... you seriously think the Bruins are impervious to fear? Are you a young-ling? I run Chara into the boards a few times, he's expecting to get run into the boards, don't care who you are, everyone has a need to keep themselves safe (Maslow's Hierarchy (Basic needs)). Chara will either move the puck quicker than he wants or take a retaliation PIM.

Maybe I'm nuts but I'm hacking Chara, knowing he is the guy who will retaliate, sure what he does back to me will hurt but if I take him off the ice, I win. I'm also going after Bergeron because he has so much respect of his fellow B's, I can guarantee you one of the young bucks will come back at me and take a PIM. If Raask is in nets I'm bumping, screening and generally getting in his face, everyone knows that guy has a short fuse.

Yeah they got bigger defencmen, yes they can fight back but we have better overall team skill and if we are taking the Bergeron line off the ice because they are on the PK or we force that line to take retaliation PIMs, so be it. Once you get past the Bergeron line the skill level drops significantly, we have 3 lines we can roll that are better than their 2nd line. Yeah we will get bumps and bruises to do this but it's the price you pay to bully someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad