Pre-Game Talk: Boston @ Toronto - Saturday Jan 12

Status
Not open for further replies.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Oh for sure. You have to have speed and hustle and grit and never-give up attitude to cover Pasta in today's NHL. Who wants the job on the current team? Who could do it best?
I would roll with Kapanen on any 'shut down' or matchup line we try against them. Kapanen and Hyman.

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I'm so mad at Ratface for last night and it wasn't even my team. Jumps and rag dolls a guy for a goal celebration, no league discipline. Then the chump turtles when that player comes for retribution... AND GETS THE f***ING POWER PLAY CALL. Its just so typical for it to play out that way when Marchand is involved.

I've never loathed a player like Marchand, not even close. I bet he does something stupid tomorrow night as usual and gets away with it.

I really hope we decide to play our game, and don't try to play theirs... again.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It will be Hyman, JT and Marner against the Bergeron line. It is the most logical thing.

Hopefully Matthews line rips Krejci's line up as a result
Tavares has typically been a beast against other top centers. Crosby and Kopitar come to mind, but I'm sure there were others he dominated head to head this year. he's exactly the kind of player I would want my best players to avoid in important games, because he's a monster. and then of course our depth should feast on Boston's other players

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Tavares has typically been a beast against other top centers. Crosby and Kopitar come to mind, but I'm sure there were others he dominated head to head this year. he's exactly the kind of player I would want my best players to avoid in important games, because he's a monster. and then of course our depth should feast on Boston's other players
The really competitive guys (like JT) always seem to thrive against other teams best players. I think Marner is one of those players too.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto

On paper, we should always wreck them. But in reality, for some reason we always struggle against them.

If we face Boston in the playoffs again and we can roll Tavares against Bergeron and Matthews against their 2nd line, i like our chances

Reactions: NiftyMits

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
On paper, we should always wreck them. But in reality, for some reason we always struggle against them.

If we face Boston in the playoffs again and we can roll Tavares against Bergeron and Matthews against their 2nd line, i like our chances
Leafs really need to get home ice advantage to get the matchups we want.

Having home ice advantage against a one line team line the Bruins is so important.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I'm so mad at Ratface for last night and it wasn't even my team. Jumps and rag dolls a guy for a goal celebration, no league discipline. Then the chump turtles when that player comes for retribution... AND GETS THE ****ING POWER PLAY CALL. Its just so typical for it to play out that way when Marchand is involved.

I've never loathed a player like Marchand, not even close. I bet he does something stupid tomorrow night as usual and gets away with it.

I really hope we decide to play our game, and don't try to play theirs... again.

I'm very petty when it comes to righting wrongs in sport.

So i'd probably call up Rich Clune and tell him to take Marchand's head off.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I would roll with Kapanen on any 'shut down' or matchup line we try against them. Kapanen and Hyman.

I like that idea a lot. Since shutting down these guys has been mentioned, I'll copy-paste this which I pasted a couple of hours ago in the PGT, this is a more logical place for it anyway.

Tomorrow's a big one. It may be too early for some but not for me, I'm thinking about Boston in round 1 already (very likely to happen IMO) and that's going to be a very tough fight. I'll just throw this out there, would be interested in what others think.

If we contain Bergerons' line, we win the series. If we don't, we lose. Since that's the key to our entire season, maybe we should start thinking about it now. If I'm Babcock, I would come up with a line that has the best chance of containing these guys and try it out tomorrow night. The line I would like to try is Kadri, Hyman and Kapanen. Kadri because he's done this job before, he's done it well and if we can get him going again, that would make us a much better team. This assignment I believe would get him once again playing like the Kadri of the last couple of seasons. Hyman because his style of play is perfect for this, he doesn't have to produce offence at all, just play D, break up the cycle and forecheck to keep the puck in the Ozone as much as possible. Kapanen I'm least certain of but I think his speed helps keep them honest in our zone, just seems like a good fit to me. If this line can keep it even somewhat close, it leaves the big guns free to inflict damage on the rest of the Boston lineup which they should be able to do.

Babcock is super reluctant to change anything ever so it'll probably never happen but I'm curious as to what others think. Thanks for listening.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Make a statement please....Would be nice to show up and punch a good team in the mouth for a change.

Honestly it seems like the "slump" started with their last loss to Boston. They've won some games with a dominant effort but they look like they have less confidence than before.

Boston is in their heads. It's an obstacle they are mentally not able to get over. They know deep down that Boston can make them all look like fools.

They have to beat them or at least not get blown out and play our game. This is going to be a huge growth moment for them. Like when the Caps finally beat the Pens to win the cup, the Leafs are going to have to eventually beat Boston in the playoffs.

And now is a good time to start figuring their shit out. I swear if it's the same BS of clog the neutral zone and pressure the RD they always use to beat us coaching needs to actually get pressured from the media for once. No changes at all when even to the most casual viewer it's obvious they have solved the current system is not acceptable.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
As much as we have to shut down the bruins power line, it's just as important to not fall into the trap of playing bruins hockey. Why don't we just play Toronto style for once, attack Boston in waves and play a skill game?

I seriously hate trying to match Boston's playing style. It's our downfall every single time.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Honestly it seems like the "slump" started with their last loss to Boston. They've won some games with a dominant effort but they look like they have less confidence than before.

Boston is in their heads. It's an obstacle they are mentally not able to get over. They know deep down that Boston can make them all look like fools.

They have to beat them or at least not get blown out and play our game. This is going to be a huge growth moment for them. Like when the Caps finally beat the Pens to win the cup, the Leafs are going to have to eventually beat Boston in the playoffs.

And now is a good time to start figuring their **** out. I swear if it's the same BS of clog the neutral zone and pressure the RD they always use to beat us coaching needs to actually get pressured from the media for once. No changes at all when even to the most casual viewer it's obvious they have solved the current system is not acceptable.
I think the Bruins are more in your head than anyone on the Leafs.

Reactions: Mitchy

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
If you say so. They play them scared. They let the Bruins push them around. Bergeron owns Matthews. Andersen chokes against them.
Leafs have a winning record against Boston since they drafted Matthews. And Matthews had 5 points in 4 games in a season sweep against Boston as a rookie. Marner also destroys the Bruins head to head. And Andersen has an 11-2 record against Boston with a .927 sv%

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Leafs have a winning record against Boston since they drafted Matthews. And Matthews had 5 points in 4 games in a season sweep against Boston as a rookie. Marner also destroys the Bruins head to head. And Andersen has an 11-2 record against Boston with a .927 sv%

Now do the playoffs. Marner is the only one who isn't intimidated and that's because he has been a small guy getting bullied his whole life. This stuff only started last season. They were fine in the regular season but the playoff series really f***ed with the team.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Boston's confidence when the face us is like ours when we play New Jersey. Not good.

We have to somehow find a way to dictate the pace of play. I would love to see a "machine-like" performance from start to finish.

Also, Bruins are a special team nightmare for us. If our PP doesn't get going and at least get us some mega-momentum I will be concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad