Boston Pens no goal call

H382

Oct 20, 2006
Can we change the thread title to Boston Pens no goal call, goal call

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Looked like it hit Despres' glove. Don't know why they didn't just say "inconclusive though".

The wave-off goal was bad, but they missed a lot of calls for us too throughout the game. Pretty poorly officiated. Chris Lee sucks.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
I didn't see an angle that made it 100% clear either way, but Toronto instructed ref that the stick was under...so presumably they think it hit stick.

And somehow got deflected DOWN and still barely made it under the crossbar...

spg2000

Mar 2, 2013
I agree the first call was bad, but I'm not sure how people can speak confidently about the second call either way. None of the angles/replays showed made it clear what exactly happened. It's not like there was a super clear view or an ice-level camera to judge height well.

H382

Oct 20, 2006
Looked like it hit Despres' glove. Don't know why they didn't just say "inconclusive though".

The wave-off goal was bad, but they missed a lot of calls for us too throughout the game. Pretty poorly officiated. Chris Lee sucks.

Yeah, that goal they took away from the Bruins was a bad call too.

penguins2946*

I agree the first call was bad, but I have no idea how people can speak confidently about the second call either way. None of the angles/replays showed made it clear what exactly happened.

That's the big thing people are disagreeing with. It's not the fact that Boston got that goal that made people mad, but it's the fact that Toronto said it was clearly below the crossbar when it seems like it wasn't. Saying it was inconclusive would have been fine, this was probably the only wrong way they could have handled it.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
I seriously hate the conclusive inconclusive crap. IMO, anything inconclusive should be called no goal.

Anyways, whatever the puck hit was above the crossbar. To me, I think the Bruins caught a break there.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I agree the first call was bad, but I have no idea how people can speak confidently about the second call either way. None of the angles/replays showed made it clear what exactly happened.

I can speak confidently on it based on the call.

The call was, 'The puck hit the stick below the crossbar"

this is, 100%, impossible. If the puck hit the stick - which they are admitting it did - then it's a high stick.

If they had said, 'the call on the ice stands" okay.

If they had said, "the puck went in off of #47's glove" okay

If they had said, "the call on the ice was a goal, and we can't tell what the **** happened because Despres is a moron who threw his hand at the puck for no reason" okay.

But they didn't. They said the puck hit his stick. If it hit his stick, it's clear, from every angle, that the stick was high.

RapidFire

Jan 3, 2007
I agree the first call was bad, but I'm not sure how people can speak confidently about the second call either way. None of the angles/replays showed made it clear what exactly happened. It's not like there was a super clear view or an ice-level camera to judge height well.

LmppSDM.gif

Clearly off the stick

spg2000

Mar 2, 2013
I can speak confidently on it based on the call.

The call was, 'The puck hit the stick below the crossbar"

this is, 100%, impossible. If the puck hit the stick - which they are admitting it did - then it's a high stick.

If they had said, 'the call on the ice stands" okay.

If they had said, "the puck went in off of #47's glove" okay

If they had said, "the call on the ice was a goal, and we can't tell what the **** happened because Despres is a moron who threw his hand at the puck for no reason" okay.

But they didn't. They said the puck hit his stick. If it hit his stick, it's clear, from every angle, that the stick was high.

I'm not saying the refs didn't screw it up, I'm just saying you can't tell at all if it was actually a good goal or not (AKA did the Penguins get screwed on this one?). The refs didn't handle it well at all either way, agreed.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
I find it highly unlikely that it hit Despres' glove because his hand was coming up and the puck immediately dropped after it made contact with whatever. That just doesn't seem logical.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
How can you be so sure?

They showed some clips from the side and looked more that way. If you look at it from behind of course it's going to look like the puck hit the stick. Either way though, that was probably one of the worst officiated games I've seen in a long time. Goals that shouldn't/should have been called off, and a ton of missed penalties. The refs were so blind they couldn't even give a better explanation in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad