Boston Pens no goal call

penguins2946*

Even if Sill doesn't get pushed into Rask that still could have, and should have been called goalie interference.

Why? Because Sill was so far in the crease that he prevented Rask from being able to make the save. Rask has the right to move freely in his crease to make a save, but was unable to do so because Sill was so deep in the crease.

Except that's just blatantly false, Sill did not impair Rask's ability to stop the puck until he was pushed into Rask.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Are you serious with that bolded part? (1) he is not even doing that. (2) he doesn't intentionally or deliberate contact Rask; Rask's defender (McQuaid) does by pushing Sill into him. It's clear as day.

Sill doesn't initiate contact on purpose; McQUAID DID

Sill didn't try and avoid contact with Rask after he was pushed. There was really no way he could avoid contact, and that's why the call was correct.

looked his skate was already touching rask's pad before the push

This is also key. The left skate pushes off of Rask's pad.

Except that's just blatantly false, Sill did not impair Rask's ability to stop the puck until he was pushed into Rask.

Yes being in the crease as deep as he was, impairs the goalie from a fair chance at making the save.

penguins2946*

Absolutely he did, he was virtually standing on top of him...

Except no he wasn't, but I guess you will see what you want to see. Sill was standing in the crease, but Rask would still have had the ability to make a stop. McQuaid hit Sill and caused Rask to fall over.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Except no he wasn't, but I guess you will see what you want to see. Sill was standing in the crease, but Rask would still have had the ability to make a stop. McQuaid hit Sill and caused Rask to fall over.

Sill was on top of the goalie, his skate was on his pad, it didn't matter if McQuaid him or not, Sill was interfering with the goaltenders ability to make the save, by......being in the crease and impeding him,

I will see what I want to see? Ok pot, I'm kettle.... I guess...

Nynja*

For the sake of completeness, here's a short video of Sill being pushed into Rask which was disallowed.

Sill was already in the crease, well over 50% of his body, before anyone pushed him into Rask, and the puck isnt exactly in "goalmouth scrum" vacinity. He shouldnt be there to begin with, hence the GI call. It was the right call, and if the teams were reversed, you'd be saying the same thing.

This is coming from a Habs fan btw, supporting a GI call that went in Bostons favor.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
Sill was already in the crease, well over 50% of his body, before anyone pushed him into Rask, and the puck isnt exactly in "goalmouth scrum" vacinity. He shouldnt be there to begin with, hence the GI call.

If Sill isn't pushed, Rask's pad is there to stop the puck.

Bending and Tending

Dec 25, 2014
U.S.A.
You mean, if Sill isn't in the crease to begin with, right?

Rask was fine until his defenseman pushed Sill into him.
EDIT: there is no "crease violation" rule.

69.1 Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or

Rask wouldn't need to move at all based on where the shot went in, so part 1 is okay.

(2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease.
If an attacking player enters the goal crease and, by his actions, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

Sill was stopping, Rask put his arm out, and then Sill is pushed into him. Contact that inhibited Rask's ability to stop that goal didn't occur until his defenseman pushed Sill.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Rask was fine until his defenseman pushed Sill into him.
EDIT: there is no "crease violation" rule.

69.1 Goals should be disallowed only if: (1) an attacking player, either by his positioning or by contact, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to move freely within his crease or defend his goal; or

[I]Rask wouldn't need to move at all based on where the shot went in, so part 1 is okay.[/I]

(2) an attacking player initiates intentional or deliberate contact with a goalkeeper, inside or outside of his goal crease.
If an attacking player enters the goal crease and, by his actions, impairs the goalkeeper’s ability to defend his goal, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed.

Sill was stopping, Rask put his arm out, and then Sill is pushed into him. Contact that inhibited Rask's ability to stop that goal didn't occur until his defenseman pushed Sill.

I bolded the part that is complete and utter conjecture and has no basis in fact

Nynja*

if a player is in the crease, the goaltender can not freely move in their crease, its common physics lol

FinnBruin

Aug 6, 2014
Germany
I've seen this one come up a few times...follow-throughs on shots are not considered high sticking fouls. Miller's nose got hit as a result of a backhanded shot. That's not a penalty.

Mind you that hasn't stopped the refs from calling that on us before, but that was a correct non-call.

If that's the rule then fair enough, right call I suppose - but a terrible rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad