Post-Game Talk: Boston Patriots @ Champs - 12:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The meltdown in here is epic. Kuzy takes a stupid penalty and gets benched a bit and now we are slamming the other players because we want them benched too, because Kuzy.
I dont want players benched for penalties unless its a reoccurring problem.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Heh, if they are doing better than you expected, and you expect them to make the playoffs, then why are you so grumpy about this team?
Because I want them to exceed my expectations of them. I want them to play well. We aren't playing well and we weren't playing great hockey even when we went on a hot streak. We won a few games that we got outplayed in by lesser teams. And if you read my post I said they were exceeding expectations, past tense. They are no longer exceeding expectations. They are pretty much right on target but that could change if they they dont fix this.
And I'm not really grumpy. Disappointed is more like it. When they loose out in the playoffs then I get grumpy.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Why Kuzy? Why not Oshie or Orlov or Kempny or Carlson, etc? It's not just Kuzy who is struggling right now. If it were just one single player slumping, then sure: benching him, moving him to the 3rd or 4th line, or even scratching him for a game or two might work. But we are talking about a bunch of players who perform considerably below their well known capabilities at the moment.

Having said this, I think I understand where you are coming from. You probably want to give this team the benefit of the doubt and hope that it's just a controlled slump, and the Caps can shift into a higher gear at a moment's notice. You know, I want to hope for the better as well, but my hope for a good season is dwindling every week.

My hypothetical applied to everyone, even Ovi. And since neither you nor Maaco offered any specifics on what the coach should do differently, let's just all accept that the Caps are playing for the playoffs and not the RS here. They've won presidents trophies, they are unsatisfying. They got a taste of winning a championship, it takes two full months of constant commitment and sacrifice. Sacrifice in the RS doesn't win Stanley Cups. I think the Caps have learned this lesson.

Again, there's not much TR can do to make them care more right now. So I'll worry about their effort and their structure and sacrifice in the playoffs. But not until then.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
My hypothetical applied to everyone, even Ovi. And since neither you nor Maaco offered any specifics on what the coach should do differently, let's just all accept that the Caps are playing for the playoffs and not the RS here. They've won presidents trophies, they are unsatisfying. They got a taste of winning a championship, it takes two full months of constant commitment and sacrifice. Sacrifice in the RS doesn't win Stanley Cups. I think the Caps have learned this lesson.

Again, there's not much TR can do to make them care more right now. So I'll worry about their effort and their structure and sacrifice in the playoffs. But not until then.
There may not be anything he can do if he has lost the team. It is possible that he is in over his head. I would say he has to tweak the system they are using and he might have to be more of a disciplinarian. I dont necessarily mean benching players for a penalty. For example if a d pairing isnt playing disciplined then give the 3rd pairing more time. Same with the forward lines. He should try to settle on his 4 lines as well. All the line changes he has made hasnt helped.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006

I can't speak for Maacoshark, but I am not a professional ice hockey coach, and as a result, I can't provide you a specific plan on how to fix the Caps. I just watch the Caps play and form my opinion based on their performance. In turn, I will NOT ask you to provide any specifics on how you are sure that the players are slumping under a supervision.

Time will tell who was right. And believe me, I would rather be wrong on this one.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I can't speak for Maacoshark, but I am not a professional ice hockey coach, and as a result, I can't provide you a specific plan on how to fix the Caps. I just watch the Caps play and form my opinion based on their performance. In turn, I will NOT ask you to provide any specifics on how you are sure that the players are slumping under a supervision.

Time will tell who was right. And believe me, I would rather be wrong on this one.

I don't think there's any question TR is frustrated by their inconsistency and effort. I just don't see many good options for him apart from getting them into the playoffs and hoping they find their motivation. Tinkering with ice time, line combos, etc, those are minor things that don't shake up teams like we're talking about here.

Sometimes the correct move is to show patience and let the team work their way out on their own. Again, we'll see how it ends if TR has lost them or if he has the right touch. Right about this time last year Barry was about to be canned. A LOT can change in a few months.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I don't think there's any question TR is frustrated by their inconsistency and effort. I just don't see many good options for him apart from getting them into the playoffs and hoping they find their motivation. Tinkering with ice time, line combos, etc, those are minor things that don't shake up teams like we're talking about here.

Sometimes the correct move is to show patience and let the team work their way out on their own. Again, we'll see how it ends if TR has lost them or if he has the right touch. Right about this time last year Barry was about to be canned. A LOT can change in a few months.
There is still some time left, so let’s see what happens. We could only hope for the best.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It wasn't just Kuzy. Yaskin was benched as well. Then Oshie committed a similarly bad penalty in the 3rd, but he wasn't benched. We are talking about a serious controversy here :))

Yes, Jaskin. Oshie's penalty was when? last 5 mins of a game they needed a goal to tie?
The point is that a bunch of you have decided that the coach cant coach and you know better. Seems to me this directive came from MacLellan anyway. But ok. I saw at least one person whining about why Backstrom didn't get benched.

Go ahead. Burn it down

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I dont want players benched for penalties unless its a reoccurring problem.

Its a reoccurring problem. Kuzy is second on the team behind Kempny(a conversation for another day) with 20 minor penalties. That has him tied for 11th most in the NHL. As none of those are physical penalties, I don't need to get run over by 43 to see that its a league leading problem. Meanwhile Oshie has 12 and Backstrom 10. Both of them get hitting penalties like boarding. Backstrom and Oshie also are regularly checking the opposing top line. Big difference there.

Edit: Filter for forwards and he is 7th in the league, one minor penalty behind Marchand. He has as many cheap lazy of no value penalties and Marchand has dirty rat penalties. Tom Wilson only has 9.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
And here we are. Kuzy is not appreciated and Backstrom is teacher's pet. Vengence

Teacher's pet is an understatement. He can play like shit for more than a month, lose in OT pretty much on his own and never even get a blemish forget about a benching. It's the story of his career.

Kuz wins the last game and gets benched in this one for taking a penalty. :lol:

Reactions: shtorm2005

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Teacher's pet is an understatement. He can play like **** for more than a month, lose in OT pretty much on his own and never even get a blemish forget about a benching. It's the story of his career.

Kuz wins the last game and gets benched in this one for taking a penalty. :lol:

Ok Brah. You saw my post above on Kuzy's obvious penalty problems. Yes?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
funny though. Kuzy was benched so much that he played just short of 20 minutes. He played a minute more than his season average.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Backstrom keeps losing it for them in OT so he shouldn't play in OT the next time? Is that how it works?

Keeps losing it for them in OT. Can you fill that in for me? The Caps have lost 5 games in OT all season. He lost all those?

quick check. Caps have won 3 OT games. Backstrom has 1. Kuzy doesn't.

Reactions: maacoshark

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Yes, Jaskin. Oshie's penalty was when? last 5 mins of a game they needed a goal to tie?
The point is that a bunch of you have decided that the coach cant coach and you know better. Seems to me this directive came from MacLellan anyway. But ok. I saw at least one person whining about why Backstrom didn't get benched.

Go ahead. Burn it down
I misunderstood my post, buddy. I did put a smile after the benching controversy sentence.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Keeps losing it for them in OT. Can you fill that in for me? The Caps have lost 5 games in OT all season. He lost all those?

Although the last one wasn't entirely his fault but he didn't stop the pass coming across either.
I'm not seriously advocating for him to not play again I'm just pointing out how differently he gets treated. No demotion? No benching?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Although the last one wasn't entirely his fault but he didn't stop the pass coming across either.
I'm not seriously advocating for him to not play again I'm just pointing out how differently he gets treated. No demotion? No benching?

I think its consensus that Kuznetsov has been pretty uninspiring for the last 20 games or more. I haven't heard any such talk about Backstrom. I think the two players are treated differently, if they are, because one has been consistently excellent for more than a decade and the other is almost never consistant. I love them both but am pretty realistic about what I have seen

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
I do find it amusing that some people here think the Caps can just "cruise into the playoffs" and then magically flip a switch and play like Cup Champions.
I'm not a professional sports person or expert by any means - but I don't think that's how teams win championships in the 21st century.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Its a reoccurring problem. Kuzy is second on the team behind Kempny(a conversation for another day) with 20 minor penalties. That has him tied for 11th most in the NHL. As none of those are physical penalties, I don't need to get run over by 43 to see that its a league leading problem. Meanwhile Oshie has 12 and Backstrom 10. Both of them get hitting penalties like boarding. Backstrom and Oshie also are regularly checking the opposing top line. Big difference there.

Edit: Filter for forwards and he is 7th in the league, one minor penalty behind Marchand. He has as many cheap lazy of no value penalties and Marchand has dirty rat penalties. Tom Wilson only has 9.
I know Kuzy takes some lazy penalties. Eller takes some dumb penalties too. Kempnys penalties arent as bad because he is usually taking a penalty to prevent a scoring chance. Of course it is usually because he got beat on the play.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I know Kuzy takes some lazy penalties. Eller takes some dumb penalties too. Kempnys penalties arent as bad because he is usually taking a penalty to prevent a scoring chance. Of course it is usually because he got beat on the play.

Kempny is not a top 4 defenseman. Plain and simple. He is a glorified 5 that in a limited role can a even strength minutes with a Norris Trophy level partner.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I do find it amusing that some people here think the Caps can just "cruise into the playoffs" and then magically flip a switch and play like Cup Champions.
I'm not a professional sports person or expert by any means - but I don't think that's how teams win championships in the 21st century.

I don't want to state the obvious here but you did watch the Caps last season correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad