Post-Game Talk: Boston Patriots @ Champs - 12:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It's not like they are in last place here, or the season is almost over and they are in real danger of missing the playoffs. I said earlier I the year they can make the payoffs purely on talent alone. So I'm not convinced that this effort isn't somewhat sanctioned, or at least tolerated, by the coaches who know they need to be fresh and motivated for April.
This team has been winning on talent alone. It sure isnt because we are playing with structure.
And dont say we aren't in danger of missing the playoffs. We aren't that far ahead of the 9th place team. We have been fortunate that a couple teams that are chasing us havent played well recently.

Reactions: Firsov99

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Sometimes good teams with defensive skill play a system that dares you to carry. You have to dump it in. Challenge it and you drive right into the teeth of their defense. You know that.

Second. The Caps are or are near the biggest team in the league. Dumping it in and working over their defense wears teams down. Its how the Caps won the cup last year.

Remember Kuzy's beat the Penguins goal? That was the Caps playing the dump it or get killed defense. They didn't dump it in and they died for it

You seem to be saying that a good passing team can throw right into the teeth of the coverage and beat it. That's nuts
I actually completely agree with everything in this post.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
This team has been winning on talent alone. It sure isnt because we are playing with structure.
And dont say we aren't in danger of missing the playoffs. We aren't that far ahead of the 9th place team. We have been fortunate that a couple teams that are chasing us havent played well recently.

As per usual you miss the point. Not going to explain it to you either, but I'll pass judgement on this team and the coaches when it's over and how it ends. You're free to tie your undies in a knot in February if you want.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The meltdown in here is epic. Kuzy takes a stupid penalty and gets benched a bit and now we are slamming the other players because we want them benched too, because Kuzy.

Reactions: calicapsfan

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hard to pinpoint it exactly but I'd say Cup hangover is real, combined with a new sense of "just barely get by" in the RS and save it for the playoffs, but that could be just wishful thinking. They can sure turn it on when they want to, but why they only want to occasionally is a mystery.

Kuzy flat out said he doesn't care much about the RS and all he really cares about is the playoffs. I suspect that mentality is more prevalent than we know but not too many others would say it out loud.
I didnt know Kuzy said that he didnt care about the regular season. I know when he was asked about someday being the best player in the league he said that he wasnt ready to put in that kind of work and effort.
You can definitely see the lack of effort at times. The Caps had a similar issue with Semin when he was here.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I didnt know Kuzy said that he didnt care about the regular season. I know when he was asked about someday being the best player in the league he said that he wasnt ready to put in that kind of work and effort.
You can definitely see the lack of effort at times. The Caps had a similar issue with Semin when he was here.

It was in the recent Sports Illustrated article linked a coupe weeks back. Pretty much said the RS doesn't excite him but the playoffs, when one mistake can end your season, that's what he lives for. (Paraphrased)

Search on here you can find it.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
As per usual you miss the point. Not going to explain it to you either, but I'll pass judgement on this team and the coaches when it's over and how it ends. You're free to tie your undies in a knot in February if you want.
And what is your point? You said we weren't in danger of missing the playoffs but that isnt true. The standings are way too close to assume we are making the playoffs.

Reactions: Heath

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It was in the recent Sports Illustrated article linked a coupe weeks back. Pretty much said the RS doesn't excite him but the playoffs, when one mistake can end your season, that's what he lives for. (Paraphrased)

Search on here you can find it.
I dont have to look for it. I believe you and it doesnt really surprise me that he would say that.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
And what is your point? You said we weren't in danger of missing the playoffs but that isnt true. The standings are way too close to assume we are making the playoffs.

I am confident they will make the playoffs. They won't lose 7 in a row again. What is mathematically possible isn't the same as what is likely.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
What would they see in Bowey, his nacho dipping technique? Don't get me wrong, Bowey has been a pleasant surprise this year but he's clearly been leapfrogged by Ziggy, we all agree there. So yeah, I could see trading him but I could not see any scouts here to watch him.

the question was "what would be their (the LA Kings) target". Not "who are they here to see"

Last edited:

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I dont have to look for it. I believe you and it doesnt really surprise me that he would say that.

I'd bet Kuzy isn't the only one withthat mindset, just the only one ergo will say it out loud. So the point is, what's a coach supposed to do when the best players only put in "just enough" effort? Maybe just accept it and get ready for the playoffs.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
It's not like they are in last place here, or the season is almost over and they are in real danger of missing the playoffs. I said earlier I the year they can make the payoffs purely on talent alone. So I'm not convinced that this effort isn't somewhat sanctioned, or at least tolerated, by the coaches who know they need to be fresh and motivated for April.
Indeed the Caps have a small cushion right now, but a couple more weeks of poor performance could put playoffs hopes at risk.

I am very worried about the team, and I have a hard time to believe in "somewhat sanctioned" subpar effort. If the Caps don't start improving (gradually at least) within the next 10 games or so, then we can't hope for a successful season.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
The meltdown in here is epic. Kuzy takes a stupid penalty and gets benched a bit and now we are slamming the other players because we want them benched too, because Kuzy.
It wasn't just Kuzy. Yaskin was benched as well. Then Oshie committed a similarly bad penalty in the 3rd, but he wasn't benched. We are talking about a serious controversy here :))

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I'd bet Kuzy isn't the only one withthat mindset, just the only one ergo will say it out loud. So the point is, what's a coach supposed to do when the best players only put in "just enough" effort? Maybe just accept it and get ready for the playoffs.
Accept it? If a coach accepts "antics" from his players (even superstars), then he isn't simply ready to coach at this level.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It wasn't just Kuzy. Yaskin was benched as well. Then Oshie committed a similarly bad penalty in the 3rd, but he wasn't benched. We are talking about a serious controversy here :))
With Oshie it was too late in the game and we needed a goal so he got time 6 on 5. I would have had no problem if Oshie was benched late in the game.
I dont think Reirden did himself any favors by benching players. Especially considering Oshies penalty was in a more crucial situation than Kuzys and Jaskins penalties.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Accept it? If a coach accepts "antics" from his players (even superstars), then he isn't simply ready to coach at this level.
I dont think Trotz would put up with that. He onced benched Ovi for being late for practice because he slept in.

Reactions: Firsov99

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY

But why only him? Next game, if 19 takes a similar penalty he better be benched too. But I wont hold my breath.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Well exactly how many tools does he have to motivate players who can win on skill but don't give full effort in the RS, but are ConnSmythe candidates?

How many games should he bench Kuzy for? Or stash him on the 4th line? Take him of the PP? There's a fine line between trying to motivate and alienating a player. It's harder than HF Boards posters make it out to be.

Reactions: traparatus

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I am confident they will make the playoffs. They won't lose 7 in a row again. What is mathematically possible isn't the same as what is likely.
If I had to bet I would say we would make the playoffs.
Funny thing is that before the losing streak the Caps were slightly ahead if what I expected. They were on pace for over 100 points and were leading the division. I predicted 3rd at best in the metro and just under 100 points. And now those projections are close. So it is my fault that they went on that losing streak. I jinxed them.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
With Oshie it was too late in the game and we needed a goal so he got time 6 on 5. I would have had no problem if Oshie was benched late in the game.
I dont think Reirden did himself any favors by benching players. Especially considering Oshies penalty was in a more crucial situation than Kuzys and Jaskins penalties.

I was joking about Oshie's benching. Of course, no sane coach would bench a player like Oshie in the 3rd. But I agree that Reirden did himself no favors with the 1st period benching. He doesn't know how to affect the game from his end, so he just "whipped a horse", hoping that it would run faster.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Well exactly how many tools does he have to motivate players who can win on skill but don't give full effort in the RS, but are ConnSmythe candidates?

How many games should he bench Kuzy for? Or stash him on the 4th line? Take him of the PP? There's a fine line between trying to motivate and alienating a player. It's harder than HF Boards posters make it out to be.
Why Kuzy? Why not Oshie or Orlov or Kempny or Carlson, etc? It's not just Kuzy who is struggling right now. If it were just one single player slumping, then sure: benching him, moving him to the 3rd or 4th line, or even scratching him for a game or two might work. But we are talking about a bunch of players who perform considerably below their well known capabilities at the moment.

Having said this, I think I understand where you are coming from. You probably want to give this team the benefit of the doubt and hope that it's just a controlled slump, and the Caps can shift into a higher gear at a moment's notice. You know, I want to hope for the better as well, but my hope for a good season is dwindling every week.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Let's not talk vague generalities. Tell me exactly what TR should do differently with Kuz, Osh, Orlov, JC, Backs?

Give me your specific details how you would do it different.
I dont know what he should do? All we see is the play on the ice. We don't know what is going on in the locker room.
Even the play on the ice, is it the system that is the problem or is it poor execution? Probably a bit of both. For some reason a handful of players have regressed this year. Orlov and Niskanen the most noticeable. They were a solid pair for a couple of years. They look like rookies this year. Oshies struggles might be health related. Maybe age too. Who knows. Eller, DSP and Stephenson have also taken a step back. And Burakovsky is underachieving again. Connolly was playing well but he has tailed off.
Maybe Reirden isnt utilizing each players skills. There doesnt seem to be a lot of chemistry with this team. There has been no chemistry on the 3rd line all season. The 4th line has looked good at times but lacks finish. The lack of chemistry isnt just in the offensive zone. Players seemed to be confused about their defensive responsibilities. Too many guys chasing the puck instead of sticking with their man.
Reirden has to somehow get them on the same page. If he has lost this team then that may be difficult to do.
Sure curious what's going on in the locker room. I'm sure we all are.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If I had to bet I would say we would make the playoffs.
Funny thing is that before the losing streak the Caps were slightly ahead if what I expected. They were on pace for over 100 points and were leading the division. I predicted 3rd at best in the metro and just under 100 points. And now those projections are close. So it is my fault that they went on that losing streak. I jinxed them.

Heh, if they are doing better than you expected, and you expect them to make the playoffs, then why are you so grumpy about this team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad