TSN: Boston not willing to go more than 6x6.5 for Krug

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
He's an idiot if he chooses Detroit over Boston for just an extra $500,000 a season. :thumbd:

I agree but maybe he wants to be the main D in DET and play top pair (he isn't one) while getting paid

Maybe - but it might be better to be a top 4 guy on a perennially strong team instead of being the top guy on a rebuilding team that's years away from contending.

Also their parents live there IIRC and it's his hometown. Krug to Detroit makes a lot of sense for him.

Hometown wise Detroit obviously has it over Boston although Krug has played in Boston for 7 full seasons so Boston must feel like a 2nd home by now. Plus he named his dog Fenway so that's gotta count for something. :laugh:

Dude he already said that he and his wife want to be near their respective families, Hardly call him an idiot for putting family first.

Obviously I was referring to just the difference monetarily wise between the 2 deals.

That's $3 000 000! Man, I wish I could shit on $500 000 a year like you.

$500k - that's just a fun weekend in Vegas for me. ;) Who knows - that $500,000 a year might just put him a much higher tax bracket. :dunno:

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Because Bruce Cassidy is a wizard at coaching the PP and Bergeron/Marchand are puck-possession monsters.

More to the point, I respect a team that offers a player a fair offer with a modest home-town discount and sticks to it. You make that a team standard and let every player know that if he doesn't take it, he can walk. By letting a guy walk once in awhile, you underscore the philosophy.

Krug had the Bruins PP amongst the leagues best long before Cassidy took over (although it was obviously improved with Cassidy and Pasta joining it. And Marchand for that matter.)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think this is a very fair deal for a player like Krug. If someone offers more $$$/term shame on them.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Money has diminishing returns. That 500k a year doesn’t change a lot for his day to day life. Or his kids. Or his grand kids.

It sure does with the grand kids, inflation is a cruel mistress in my lifetime winning 1 million in the Lotto went from the huge big give away set forever to the runner up prize that can buy you a house.
Millions invested today is going to be massive 30 or 40 years from now

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
He's not useless 5v5. I think he's got a bit of Rafalski in him, lots of hard and soul. You don't want him being your main matchup D but that's fine.

That overtime goal Hedman scored on Boston. Rafalski didn't look like that until he was 35.
First, Krug let Point dump and chase past him. Didn't even try to win the race.
Then Krug got smashed in front of the net and then he couldn't do a damn thing about Maroon, providing the screen for Hedman.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It sure does with the grand kids, inflation is a cruel mistress in my lifetime winning 1 million in the Lotto went from the huge big give away set forever to the runner up prize that can buy you a house.
Millions invested today is going to be massive 30 or 40 years from now

I don’t think Krug is hiding his money in a mattress like a drug dealer... his money is making money.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
That overtime goal Hedman scored on Boston. Rafalski didn't look like that until he was 35.
First, Krug let Point dump and chase past him. Didn't even try to win the race.
Then Krug got smashed in front of the net and then he couldn't do a damn thing about Maroon, providing the screen for Hedman.

Thats the concern. He is small AND slow. Unless you are playing an EA Sports game, then he is magically a good skater.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
I don’t think Krug is hiding his money in a mattress like a drug dealer... his money is making money.

That is why he needs money to invest now. 500,000 a year can easily pay for the rest of his life. Calling someone a idiot for taking 500,000 a year extra is not the best take on things

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
That is why he needs money to invest now. 500,000 a year can easily pay for the rest of his life. Calling someone a idiot for taking 500,000 a year extra is not the best take on things

I think you have a distorted view of money. He made $21m in the last 4 years. Even if you assume half of that is lost, it's still $10.5m. A bond paying 5% will get him over $500k/year forever.

Heck, even if he's broke right now, he could borrow $10m against his next contract right now and easily set it up to make $500K forever. Rich people can borrow at sub-1%.

When you get to that level, money isn't about money. It's about status.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
I think you have a distorted view of money. He made $21m in the last 4 years. Even if you assume half of that is lost, it's still $10.5m. A bond paying 5% will get him over $500k/year forever.

Heck, even if he's broke right now, he could borrow $10m against his next contract right now and easily set it up to make $500K forever. Rich people can borrow at sub-1%.

When you get to that level, money isn't about money. It's about status.

You are acting like 500,000 real dollars a year isn’t anything to move over. I think you have a distorted view of others people’s money. Like “they” don’t need it or value it.
That would be 3 million over 6 years, 1.5 after taxes, 15% of every thing he is worth right now..that ain’t chump change

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You are acting like 500,000 real dollars a year isn’t anything to move over. I think you have a distorted view of others people’s money. Like “they” don’t need it or value it.
That would be 3 million over 6 years, 1.5 after taxes, 15% of every thing he is worth right now..that ain’t chump change

Bruins (and Tampa) have done a good job cultivating a culture of guys taking less because they want to win. Maybe we are just used to people valuing things like fit more. Heck I bet there are many working stiffs in this thread who could make more money if they job hopped but don’t for various reasons.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Ive said it before, he is the best in the league at keeping the puck in on clear attempts on the powerplay. No one is better at keeping it in. Thats what makes him the best qb in the league over the last 5 years

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Bruins (and Tampa) have done a good job cultivating a culture of guys taking less because they want to win. Maybe we are just used to people valuing things like fit more. Heck I bet there are many working stiffs in this thread who could make more money if they job hopped but don’t for various reasons.

Not really 95% of boston signed for full value. And Tampa is Tampa no state income tax puts them on par with other players, they could move for more money and give it all to taxes making zero difference in take home pay.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

I think you have a misinformed view of how wealthy people manage their money. How they invest is more important than a 15% variance in the dollar amounts. Front-loading alone on a six-year deal would easily overcome that, even at a modest rate of return.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Not really 95% of boston signed for full value. And Tampa is Tampa no state income tax puts them on par with other players, they could move for more money and give it all to taxes making zero difference in take home pay.

Ugh, I’m not getting sucked into the taxes conversation. Rhetorically, I ask you to look at the contracts of the other Florida team with the same state taxation levels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad