Post-Game Talk: Boston Bruins v. Buffalo Sabres - 1/31/13 - Part III

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Thornton vs Scott had nothing to do with the game issue.

The 5-3 break - undisciplined decisions, unusual defensives mistakes and Miller are more related to our defeat.

I thought we were actually quite dominating this game. Sabres though did capitalize on all their opportunities while Bruins did not.

Regarding Thornton, I am with WhamBamCam8. While I am not a big fan of retaliation, I do beleive that Thornton would have deserve more support.

On those picking on Thornton for his loss, I can't understand. Thornton is in everybodies faces for numbers of years for the bruins and his teamates. Was part of this SC Bruins edition. Is paid for what he did, and has always delivered. I beleive he is one of the best in his role NHL wide. Thornton is part of how that team is built.

I don't pass over a guy (Thornton) losing one battle to a giant with 8 inches and 60 pounds bigger, doing his job for my team and disrespecting the same guy for losing the same fight. The guy got injured, and hope he comes back. That guy did pay the price for the Bruins. I do beleive that the Bruins did react differently to what I would have thought before the fight though.

As for our third line, Paille fitted well, and that line look very well against the Sabres. I would not mind having more toughness on the third or the fourth line with Campbell and Thonrnton.

Wish the best to Thornton, hope he will come back soon.

Go Bruins...

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
McQuaid will try to get Ott-Kaleta-Foligno to go all night. Ott will run from everyone until he find's someone small enough- Campbell? Ference? Lucic will lay the body and push everyone around with no one really willing to get in his face. Scott will be out there but wont force anyone to go- might come out of a scrum w/Chara and we'll get to see the tallest fight in history. They'll fall to the ice everyone will cheer and life will go on.
I like your scenario. Not sure if that's the way it'll play out. Wasn't Cam Janssens just on waivers? Wouldn't mind the Bruins picking him up. He has fought Scott 3 or 4 times and has always done well.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal

The 5-3 break - undisciplined decisions, unusual defensives mistakes and Miller are more related to our defeat.

I thought we were actually quite dominating this game. Sabres though did capitalize on all their opportunities while Bruins did not.

Regarding Thornton, I am with WhamBamCam8. While I am not a big fan of retaliation, I do beleive that Thornton would have deserve more support.

On those picking on Thornton for his loss, I can't understand. Thornton is in everybodies faces for numbers of years for the bruins and his teamates. Was part of this SC Bruins edition. Is paid for what he did, and has always delivered. I beleive he is one of the best in his role NHL wide. Thornton is part of how that team is built.

I don't pass over a guy (Thornton) losing one battle to a giant with 8 inches and 60 pounds bigger, doing his job for my team and disrespecting the same guy for losing the same fight. The guy got injured, and hope he comes back. That guy did pay the price for the Bruins. I do beleive that the Bruins did react differently to what I would have thought before the fight though.

As for our third line, Paille fitted well, and that line look very well against the Sabres. I would not mind having more toughness on the third or the fourth line with Campbell and Thonrnton.

Go Bruins...
Why all the brain farts.

Maybe they were thinking about something other that the game???

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007

Go Bruins...

this is a really well thought out refreshing post.

thanks

Bone for your jar

Feb 2, 2011
Boston, Mass.
I am still worried

the fact that Scott gestured the Bruins bench with "shhhhhhhh" after the fight and the Bruins had a very unphysical comeback to that the rest of the game really still bothers me and I've had a day to think about it still

I think seeing their team leader Shawn go down, and then a real lack of team response to it was a psychological chink in the armor that might persist

we are not going to ever win a stanley cup with a Canucks style of finesse (neither will the Canucks)

I am worried...

Scott didn't blindside Thornton. Scott didn't cross-check Thornton in the face.

Scott invited Thornton to drop the gloves, and Thornton accepted the invitation. Once Thornton went down, Scott let up. All within the code. Once that bout ends, regardless of the outcome, there's no "response" due. Scott did nothing wrong. Teams are not supposed to avenge a team-mate simply because he lost a consensual bout. What's more, a player who has dropped the gloves and engaged doesn't need to do so again within the same game.

As for the "shhhh", what is so galling about this? Did we not have it coming? Have we forgotten how much we gloated in the humiliation of Miller and the Sabres just last season, a humiliation no doubt replayed for them by their coach, fans, media, and telegraphed to them by the moves made by their front office? What else was Scott brought in for if not to deliver such "shhhhs" and possibly return a little karma? Why as fans do we so love our Bruins to be Big and Bad, but if we happen to lose a fight, we feel so violated that we demand a "response" from our team?

I'll begin to worry when and if we start getting out-hit on the ice, in the course of play. That's the toughness that really matters, and that wins you Stanley Cups.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Boxers are trained to fight. That is what they do.

When Tyson came back after some time in cell block 4, his opponents who were boxers and fought all their lives were scared. And that is all these guys knew in life.

Listening to PJ Stock on the radio yesterday talking about how nhl fighters have a hard time sleeping before a game.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Scott invited Thornton to drop the gloves, and Thornton accepted the invitation. Once Thornton went down, Scott let up. All within the code. Once that bout ends, regardless of the outcome, there's no "response" due. Scott did nothing wrong. Teams are not supposed to avenge a team-mate simply because he lost a consensual bout. What's more, a player who has dropped the gloves and engaged doesn't need to do so again within the same game.

Pretty much this.

Thornton was cheap shotted or blind sided, he engaged in a staged fight, and lost badly. No need for revenge IMO. Thornton has one of the toughest jobs in the league, and he laces up his skates game after game knowing he might have to fight and he knows sometimes he is going to lose. This time he lost and lost badly.

I hope he gets better and returns to play soon-he is a team leader and a team player.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
-

I am not sure to understand?
The Bruins rarely give up any 2 on 1 situations during a game, but for some reason they game up more in that game than they did all season. maybe they weren't thinking clearly.

My point is that Scott like it or not was a distraction in one way or another to Bruin players. Maybe if the d man aren't distracted,they don't make an ill advised pinch or a soft play along the wall.

Scott did affect the game. Sometimes it just mental.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
Pretty much this.

Thornton was cheap shotted or blind sided, he engaged in a staged fight, and lost badly. No need for revenge IMO. Thornton has one of the toughest jobs in the league, and he laces up his skates game after game knowing he might have to fight and he knows sometimes he is going to lose. This time he lost and lost badly.

I hope he gets better and returns to play soon-he is a team leader and a team player.
I agree that they don't have to avenge the loss. But what if Scott challenges Chara or Lucic.
They have pride. The back to backs in Buffalo will be telling. I still say the Bruins should look at a guy like Janssens and bring him in. Neutralize a plug with a plug. Let the rest of the boys just play hockey.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
The Bruins rarely give up any 2 on 1 situations during a game, but for some reason they game up more in that game than they did all season. maybe they weren't thinking clearly.

My point is that Scott like it or not was a distraction in one way or another to Bruin players. Maybe if the d man aren't distracted,they don't make an ill advised pinch or a soft play along the wall.

Or maybe it was their third game in four nights and they were mentally worn down.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Scott didn't blindside Thornton. Scott didn't cross-check Thornton in the face.

As for the "shhhh", what is so galling about this? Did we not have it coming? Have we forgotten how much we gloated in the humiliation of Miller and the Sabres just last season, a humiliation no doubt replayed for them by their coach, fans, media, and telegraphed to them by the moves made by their front office? What else was Scott brought in for if not to deliver such "shhhhs" and possibly return a little karma? Why as fans do we so love our Bruins to be Big and Bad, but if we happen to lose a fight, we feel so violated that we demand a "response" from our team?

I'll begin to worry when and if we start getting out-hit on the ice, in the course of play. That's the toughness that really matters, and that wins you Stanley Cups.

Well said.

The cries to "avenge" Thornton remind me of players getting in fights after clean hits. Hits are part of the game. Losing a fight stinks, but that's part of the game too. Some Bruins fans are too fixated on this proving their toughness thing. I thought they'd gotten over that ages ago, but apparently not.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Or maybe it was their third game in four nights and they were mentally worn down.

You are the first to say players aren't robots. Is it inconceivable to think that maybe seeing Thornton beat downland unable to return adversely affected some guys-most notably Big Z? You think its impossible that it didn't weigh on his mind that maybe he wished he was the one to go w Scott? Being the leader he is I would think that was the main reason for his worst game as a Bruin.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Well then you will have a lot of excuses for the Bruins this year.

Not sure she will be wrong though.

I expect lots of games this year for every team where they collectively suck and/or play incredibly stupid hockey. This is what you get when you cram 48 games into three months following a 6 day training camp.

Ultimately the Bruins will be in better shape than most teams because they had very little turnover and are playing a system they all know very well.

I mean ****, teams have nights like that during a normal season. No biggie. **** happens.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well said.

The cries to "avenge" Thornton remind me of players getting in fights after clean hits. Hits are part of the game. Losing a fight stinks, but that's part of the game too. Some Bruins fans are too fixated on this proving their toughness thing. I thought they'd gotten over that ages ago, but apparently not.

Do you think for a minute that Chara will not challenge Scott next game?

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Do you think for a minute that Chara will not challenge Scott next game?

It should be Looch instead. Chara out for 5 minutes is a much bigger deal than Lucic.

Not sure why either of them have to fight Scott anyway. Two designated fighters fought a staged fight, it was clean, no cheapshots, and our guy took a tough one and got hurt.

It happens.

I'd rather see them respond by just being tougher and more physical during the normal course of the game.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige

------------
So my understanding is that you beleive that Scott is THE factor for the Bruins mental distraction.

I don't buy that. Team toughness wins game and the Bruins do have that. The Bruins were not fearing the Sabres physical game, I did not feel they were intimidated. And I do not beleive their mental distraction was a consequence of the fight.

I beleive you put to much impact on a SCott type of guy and on the Thornton - Scott Fight.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
You are the first to say players aren't robots. Is it inconceivable to think that maybe seeing Thornton beat downland unable to return adversely affected some guys-most notably Big Z? You think its impossible that it didn't weigh on his mind that maybe he wished he was the one to go w Scott? Being the leader he is I would think that was the main reason for his worst game as a Bruin.

Lou, maybe if after that fight the Bruins had looked tentative and the Sabres had dominated the game from there, that fight result may had the impact some are suggesting.

But the fact is the Bruins had control of that game. They totally dominated the Sabres from that point till that Lucic missed golden opportunities that would have made the game 4-1 and closed the book. But seconds after that missed chance, we were down 2 man for a whole 2min, the Sabres scored and got back into the game.

Don't forget either that Bergy was a little more loft in his shot from tying the game 5-5 late in the 3rd instead of right into Miller's glove.

Bad loss against a team we should have beaten. Now, let's take back 1st place in the conference tonight against the lowly Leafs.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
My thoughts are that Bruins will need to be in Scott face one day or another. How it will come and by who brings Chara in the conversation. Do I like it, NO. It is risky. YES. But Sabres did show their colors and I do think one day or another Bruins will need to respond.

That said, I don't think Scott - Thornton fight had the impact on THAT GAME issue people are trying to say. I am more on the season view, and Sabres will be on our way.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I believe The Bruins outplayed the Sabres for a majority of the game, but Vanek took over. I also believe Scott had a much bigger impact on the Sabres rather than the Bruins. Perhaps a sense of ease knowing they had the toughest guy on the ice in their corner if **** hits the fan, and **** usually does hit the fan between these two teams.

I don't think this is going to derail the Bruins like it did the Sabres last year. Not a chance. They're still the tougher and better overall team. Where The Bruins are at now, is where a lot of Sabres fans hope the Sabres will be in a few years.

doubleminor138

Call me Snake
Jul 31, 2005
NH
I believe The Bruins outplayed the Sabres for a majority of the game, but Vanek took over. I also believe Scott had a much bigger impact on the Sabres rather than the Bruins. Perhaps a sense of ease knowing they had the toughest guy on the ice in their corner if **** hits the fan, and **** usually does hit the fan between these two teams.

I don't think this is going to derail the Bruins like it did the Sabres last year. Not a chance. They're still the tougher and better overall team. Where The Bruins are at now, is where a lot of Sabres fans hope the Sabres will be in a few years.

That's a great point.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
i'm sorry but anyone calling for a Bruin like Chara or Lucic to fight Scott as "revenge" or whatever in the next game is an idiot. The guy Bruins should be going after is Stafford for that ridiculous elbow on Dougie. The Sabres think that Scott gives them free reign to play dirty hockey. You wanna show them that's not true, you don't take matching 5's with Scott, you keep running their punk-ass star players and show them that the Bruins are going to stick up for themselves no matter who is on the ice. The lack of response to that elbow bothered me a hell of a lot more than the Thornton beatdown.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad