News Article: Boston Bruins' Milan Lucic recently released anti-bullying book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
Asked what his message is to parents about bullying, Lucic responded: “Teach them to respect everyone, respect themselves and respect your peers. I know that’s what I was brought up to believe in growing up. My parents did such a good job with myself.â€

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
This is also a guy who punches out people's lights for a living, and gets fined for spearing people, and showboats after fights and goals...is all of that okay? No, "that's just hockey", right? So why is this dramatically different? Because it was in the sacred handshake? I don't see it that way.

Just beer league. But I'm sure I missed out on some valuable insights by not making the NHL...

Has nothing to do with NHL, it has to do that when you play hockey all your life you learn sportsmanship and what makes hockey so awesome is that at the end of the day/game we can shake hands, accept the win or loss and turn around to your opponent and say "hey, good game, good luck." It ends at the whistle. To me, there is something special about hockey other sports don't have. Let's not lose it.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
WhaaaaaaT? I saw the book's cover in another thread and I thought it was just a joke.

You just can't make that up! :handclap:

NativeHockey77*

Dale Weise should order a copy and mail it to Milan. In case he hasn't read it yet

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I actually think the opposite. Hockey teaches honour and perseverance.

Of course. It can also teach a lot of ugly things too. Like any sport.

Has nothing to do with NHL, it has to do that when you play hockey all your life you learn sportsmanship and what makes hockey so awesome is that at the end of the day/game we can shake hands, accept the win or loss and turn around to your opponent and say "hey, good game, good luck." It ends at the whistle. To me, there is something special about hockey other sports don't have. Let's not lose it.

I agree completely with everything you said.

Willis Jenks

Nov 19, 2013
As dumb as he was yesterday, he wasn't bullying Weise or Emelin. Bullying implies being in a position of power and picking on the weak. Weise and Emelin are two grown men. To me there's a big difference between NHL competitors and schoolyard bullies.

Lucic is doing a good thing for the kids by releasing that book.

Btw, which message is more powerful, Lucic telling the kids not to bully or a guy like Daniel Sedin telling kids not to bully? Answer is obvious.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
As dumb as he was yesterday, he wasn't bullying Weise or Emelin. Bullying implies being in a position of power and picking on the weak. Weise and Emelin are two grown men. To me there's a big difference between NHL competitors and schoolyard bullies.

Btw, which message is more powerful, Lucic telling the kids not to bully or a guy like Daniel Sedin telling kids not to bully? Answer is obvious.

As you said, the answer is obvious. Lucic will bully the children into not bullying each other. Like, "Stop bullying, or I'll ******* kill you!"

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
LucicBook.jpg

This is classic, love it.

kassian

Sep 27, 2010
Montreal
Lucic has a hell of an agent who knows how to help a player with his image, gotta admit. That and a nice ghost writer :laugh:

“I always feel like — and still to this day — that you should treat people the way you want to be treated

Lel.

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013

Could not disagree more.

Since when was bullying only applied to people of status that are picking on people that are lower? Bullying is simply harassment. It has nothing to do with class level either, for example:

I'm a billionaire who is 150lbs, you're a scum who is 250lbs and you see me walking down the street and start beating the **** out of me for no reason, what the **** do you call that? not bullying i guess because some jealous d-bag is trying to release his suppression on an upper class person?

Also, this may be unrelated to last night's game but I can't believe a lot of people don't know that bullying does not necessarily have to be a direct-negative confrontation. Even if you ignore someone when they are trying to talk to you, you're forcing a feeling of guilt onto another person, or if you ignore someone being bullied, then you're technically a bully as well because you've taken the side of the aggressor.

Lucic making death threats is taking bullying to a whole new level.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm dying here

Lucic saves his teaching moments for ceremonial handshakes. Like last year, he graced a genital love tap upon Dion Phaneuf, you know, to make sure whether he has any balls:

milan-lucic-dion-Phaneuf-ball-grab.jpg

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Meh, I guess by bringing that up the goal is to brand him a hypocrite, but there's a pretty big difference between trash talking amongst adults in the context of a hockey game and little kids bullying each other in school. You can do the former and be opposed to the latter without being a hypocrite.

No, I don't think so.

Using a sportsmanlike moment of the teams' shaking hands to pass a message of "I'm going to kill you" - to more than one person to boot - is bullying.

You can't be against bullying of kids but not of 25 year olds. That's just ridiculous.

Willis Jenks

Nov 19, 2013
Could not disagree more.

Since when was bullying only applied to people of status that are picking on people that are lower? Bullying is simply harassment. It has nothing to do with class level either, for example:

I'm a billionaire who is 150lbs, you're a scum who is 250lbs and you see me walking down the street and start beating the **** out of me for no reason, what the **** do you call that? not bullying i guess because some jealous d-bag is trying to release his suppression on an upper class person?

Also, this may be unrelated to last night's game but I can't believe a lot of people don't know that bullying does not necessarily have to be a direct-negative confrontation. Even if you ignore someone when they are trying to talk to you, you're forcing a feeling of guilt onto another person, or if you ignore someone being bullied, then you're technically a bully as well because you've taken the side of the aggressor.

Lucic making death threats is taking bullying to a whole new level.

That's simply assault lol a criminal offence.

My point was in the NHL if you allow yourself to be bullied by an opponent then you're not suppose to play in this league. Obviously there can be bullying in the locker room, like the Incognito case in the NFL, but that's a different story.

To me there's a clear distinction between what Lucic does to our Canadiens than what happes in the schoolyard.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The following is bang on:

If the accusations made by Montreal Canadiens player Dale Weise are true, Boston Bruins star Milan Lucic isn’t only a poor sport and a sore loser, he’s a vulgar cretin who makes threats during a time when sportsmanship is not only encouraged, it is expected.

Weise claims that Lucic was classless and disrespectful following Montreal’s series-clinching 3-1, Game 7 win at TD Garden as the two teams shook hands on the ice.

The handshake line, a time-honored and revered tradition in hockey, is a unique custom and is supposed to showcase how players can set aside their differences following a hard-fought series and celebrate the dignity of the game and the competitiveness displayed by fierce rivals.

Lucic, according to accusations made by Weise after the game, indicates that he has no time to honor the custom, instead using the opportunity to make violent threats.

vtm26

Oct 28, 2013
Leaving aside the anti-bullying book (which is funny because Lucic is a bully), I think the whole "Lucic threatening Weise"-thing is a non-story. Everyone knows how intense the game is and how much those guys like to compete. This was like 5 minutes after they had lost the series to their biggest rivals.

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Ya know, those handshakes aren't always fun and sometimes, the "Good job, man!" is tough to get out. Animosity is easy in hockey. But I've never seen that kind of behaviour in any handshake line I ever saw or was a part of.

Now, sometimes, the only interaction between two guys will be a quick & silent handshake where the two guys barely can look at one another. That's okay, it's still in spirit of the thing. AT THE LIMIT, do you remember that time where Claude Lemieux and the Red Wings player he injured did NOT shake hand? They just skated by one another, didn't shake, shook the next guy's hand.

Ļucic's not right in the head. That, or he's too much into his act.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Ya know, those handshakes aren't always fun and sometimes, the "Good job, man!" is tough to get out. Animosity is easy in hockey. But I've never seen that kind of behaviour in any handshake line I ever saw or was a part of.

Now, sometimes, the only interaction between two guys will be a quick handshake where the two guys barely can look at one another. That's okay, it's still in spirit of the thing. AT THE LIMIT, do you remember that time where Claude Lemieux and the Red Wings player he injured did NOT shake hand? They just skated by one another, didn't shake, shook the next guy's hand.

Ļucic's not right in the head.

Bobby Dollas said this morning that he's seen guys give a firm handshake and fake a congratulatory nod all the while talking smack throug their teeth. Lucic just couldn't hide his poor sportsmanship.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland