Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
mqdefault.jpg

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Meh, I guess by bringing that up the goal is to brand him a hypocrite, but there's a pretty big difference between trash talking amongst adults in the context of a hockey game and little kids bullying each other in school. You can do the former and be opposed to the latter without being a hypocrite.

PricePkPatch*

Meh, I guess by bringing that up the goal is to brand him a hypocrite, but there's a pretty big difference between trash talking amongst adults in the context of a hockey game and little kids bullying each other in school. You can do the former and be opposed to the latter without being a hypocrite.

So you are saying bullying is a child-only problem, and that adult bullying is nonexistent/nonrelevant?

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
I disagree so much with your comment. They are directly related. They promote to young fans of his that it is ok to lack reespek (as MT would say) and that you can do/say anything you want to others without any consequences. I know it doesn't directly cause bullying but behavior like Lucic's after the game definitely can be related to bullying. It's called leading by example. You can write thousands of books etc...but if you don't back up your work with concrete actions like not acting like a clown it is very hypocritical in my opinion.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
So you are saying bullying is a child-only problem, and that adult bullying is nonexistent/nonrelevant?

That's a pretty big leap from what I actually wrote. "Bullying" in the context of a hockey game in which intimidating your opponent is considered a virtue and players are paid handsomely for their ability to intimidate is quite a bit different from what bullying means in the "real world".

I disagree so much with your comment. They are directly related. They promote to young fans of his that it is ok to lack reespek (as MT would say) and that you can do/say anything you want to others without any consequences. I know it doesn't directly cause bullying but behavior like Lucic's after the game definitely can be related to bullying. It's called leading by example. You can write thousands of books etc...but if you don't back up your work with concrete actions like not acting like a clown it is very hypocritical in my opinion.

By that logic you must also agree that no young children should watch hockey because it effectively condones people settling their differences by punching each other in the face.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011

How many 8-13 year olds watched last night game?
Setting a fine example to the one's his book is geared towards eh?

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
That's a pretty big leap from what I actually wrote. "Bullying" in the context of a hockey game in which intimidating your opponent is considered a virtue and players are paid handsomely for their ability to intimidate is quite a bit different from what bullying means in the "real world".

By that logic you must also agree that no young children should watch hockey because it effectively condones people settling their differences by punching each other in the face.
No, not at all. It is easy to explain to children what happens during a game is part of the sport. Yes there will be exceptions. But how do you explain telling someone you are going to kill them....after the game......while you are shaking hands? Do I think his comments to Weise and Emelin will cause a surge of young bullies? No. I am just saying for someone who apparently realllllly cares about bullying he definitely is not a role model for that particular cause because of his actions.

PricePkPatch*

The post-series handshake IS "the real world". It's the entire point of the handshake; it's meant to represent that the hockey game has ended, and that "real life" has settled back between players.

That's why you make children shake hands after most sport contests. That's an intrinsic part of sportsmanship, which is about respecting other people. Respecting other people is an intrinsic part of anti-bullying efforts.

I don't have a problem of bullies on the ice. I have problems with bullies off the ice. and guess what? the post game handshake is as figuratively off-the-ice as you can possibly have.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
The post-series handshake IS "the real world". It's the entire point of the handshake; it's meant to represent that the hockey game has ended, and that "real life" has settled back between players.

That's why you make children shake hands after most sport contests. That's an intrinsic part of sportsmanship, which is about respecting other people. Respecting other people is an intrinsic part of anti-bullying efforts.

I don't have a problem of bullies on the ice. I have problems with bullies off the ice. and guess what? the post game handshake is as figuratively off-the-ice as you can possibly have.
Exactly.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
No, not at all. It is easy to explain to children what happens during a game is part of the sport. Yes there will be exceptions. But how do you explain telling someone you are going to kill them....after the game......while you are shaking hands? Do I think his comments to Weise and Emelin will cause a surge of young bullies? No. I am just saying for someone who apparently realllllly cares about bullying he definitely is not a role model for that particular cause because of his actions.

Lucic would have been a poor role model for an anti-bullying cause whether he skated through the handshake line without incident or not. But I think there's a difference between being a role model for something and simply speaking out against something. Lucic gets paid good money to intimidate other people as part of his job, that doesn't mean he can't speak out against kids bullying each other in the school yard. There's not even remotely a comparison to be made between the two.

Well your "figuratively off-the-ice" is disputed by Lucic himself (who suggested Weise should have left it "on the ice"), and I don't particularly agree with it either. I think your description of what the handshake is supposed to be is a pretty idealistic one, but not particularly grounded in reality. I'm not condoning what Lucic said and I don't much care for it, but I don't hold the handshake line to be as sacred and inviolable as you seem to either.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Some people do not know where to draw the line. Speaking of children's actions and those of professional athletes who are paid to intimidate, as they do in the game of hockey, are as different as they come.

Shame on those who can't enjoy their victory and move on to the next series. I applaud those who have posted here as to the pettiness of some here.

PricePkPatch*

Well your "figuratively off-the-ice" is disputed by Lucic himself (who suggested Weise should have left it "on the ice"), and I don't particularly agree with it either. I think your description of what the handshake is supposed to be is a pretty idealistic one, but not particularly grounded in reality. I'm not condoning what Lucic said and I don't much care for it, but I don't hold the handshake line to be as sacred and inviolable as you seem to either.

Dude.

Think for a minute.

A sport icon using his status as a mean to fight off bullying. The entire point of him using his status is to interest kids who look up to him; a.k.a. play or are interested in hockey. Or at least sports.

We ALWAYS make children shake hands at the end of an encounter. It's one of the most important thing to teach children when they are growing up; sportsmanship.

And yet, the sport icon cannot even achieve the very basis decency we EXPECT FROM CHILDREN?!

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Lucic would have been a poor role model for an anti-bullying cause whether he skated through the handshake line without incident or not. But I think there's a difference between being a role model for something and simply speaking out against something. Lucic gets paid good money to intimidate other people as part of his job, that doesn't mean he can't speak out against kids bullying each other in the school yard. There's not even remotely a comparison to be made between the two.

Agree to disagree on the bullying issue. Did you ever play hockey?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It's a known fact Lucic has anger issues, if you can't figure out the cause of it.. I won't spell it out for you.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

The book is part of a series that encompasses this other Lucic gem of an incident:

As the officer continued to question Lucic, he "slammed his cell phone to the ground and yelled 'Do you know who I am?' " the police report states. At which point, the officer asked for identification and Lucic produced an ID from Vancouver, Canada.

Which led MiG to do this:

Ri1elpR.jpg

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Dude.

Think for a minute.

A sport icon using his status as a mean to fight off bullying. The entire point of him using his status is to interest kids who look up to him; a.k.a. play or are interested in hockey. Or at least sports.

We ALWAYS make children shake hands at the end of an encounter. It's one of the most important thing to teach children when they are growing up; sportsmanship.

And yet, the sport icon cannot even achieve the very basis decency we EXPECT FROM CHILDREN?!

This is also a guy who punches out people's lights for a living, and gets fined for spearing people, and showboats after fights and goals...is all of that okay? No, "that's just hockey", right? So why is this dramatically different? Because it was in the sacred handshake? I don't see it that way.

Agree to disagree on the bullying issue. Did you ever play hockey?

Just beer league. But I'm sure I missed out on some valuable insights by not making the NHL...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad