Confirmed with Link: Boston Bruins Acquire Ondrej Kase (RW) from ANA -- Backes On The Move!

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Yuck essentially a 1st to move Backes and a 2nd(Andersson) for Kase.
No bueno.

That is price of moving Backes. It is muy bueno because we moved a prospect that may or may not become anything and late (31st) pick and dumped a useless 6 mil. cap hit and got a 20+ goal young wing back. It is only no bueno if Backes was actually contributing to the team other than taking up cap space.

BigBear83

Jan 29, 2013
Haverhill, NH
ugh . .just seems like a lot . crazy how bad that backes contract was... im guessing.. we take a run at josh anderson now and we can call this the buy low trade deadline

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I like this trade. I like Kase's game (get to see it a bit more in my time zone), though his injury history is an area of concern. Getting 75% of Backes' contract off the books was great too. I'm not sure Kase is the correct answer at 2RW, but he's a viable NHL player who gives Cassidy flexibility to slot players more appropriately.

I do get the sense that Sweeney pulled the trigger on this deal, because the price for Kreider was just too high, so I'm not sure we're going to see anything else before Monday from the B's.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

lxndr

Nov 11, 2017
Damn, this is a really good trade by Sweeney. Kase's injuries are a big concern, but dumping Backes in the process, for only a 1st and Andersson is just insane.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I can't see tweets here at work.

We will see
upload_2020-2-21_13-14-15.png

upload_2020-2-21_13-13-40.png

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I like it. A lot! Young player with term and RFA when term is over. Lose 75% of Backes' contract. Give up a promising young defender in Andersson, but that's one thing we have plenty of. As for the 1st round pick -- ideally it will be the last pick of the 1st round, when it's all said and done :)
Hey Oren! Good to see you on! I hope you're right about that pick! Regardless, I think that pick was going to be pretty low first round anyway, so it doesn't hurt too much other than losing a chip to use in another trade.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
Very interesting, but quite pleased. Without a 1st round pick to dangle now, will be interesting to see how Sweeney pulls off that 2nd trade for a top 6 winger.

They probably won't. 2020 1st was by far their most valuable asset and a 1st round pick needs to move if they want to go after the bigger names. It'd be a brave move to ship off the 2021 1st and go 2 years without a 1st round pick.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I posted this a little over a month ago:
Kaše is 6'. Granted, he doesn't play a very physical game, but I wouldn't call him small. He's 24 years old. A right-shot right winger. Signed through next year with a cap hit of $2.6M.

He draws a lot of penalties. He has excellent corsi, fenwick and expected goal numbers. Over the last 3 seasons, only Pastrnak and Marchand have better (5vs5) primary points per 60 numbers on the Bruins. He currently only has a 4.4 shooting%. His career shooting% coming into this year was 11.4. I think he's an intriguing possible target.

Proposal: - All Bruins Rumours/Proposals 2020

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Because Kase isn't a legitimate Top 6 option right now and they need to add a legit #2 RW. They're also small. They need a Top 9 heavy add.

He’s here to play with DK.

He might be the better player than Palmeiri. Contract is low. The hole is filled. I think our bottom 6 is good and I don’t need to block prospects. I also like the cap flexibility we have adding another guy changes that. We do nothing we have the best cap situation in the league.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I like this trade. I like Kase's game (get to see it a bit more in my time zone), though his injury history is an area of concern. Getting 75% of Backes' contract off the books was great too. I'm not sure Kase is the correct answer at 2RW, but he's a viable NHL player who gives Cassidy flexibility to slot players more appropriately.

I do get the sense that Sweeney pulled the trigger on this deal, because the price for Kreider was just too high, so I'm not sure we're going to see anything else before Monday from the B's.
The nice thing with kase is he can be productive wherever you toss him in line up, he had his best season on our 3rd line, that was more of a grinder line... a lot of us thought he was going to end up our best winger if he ever stayed healthy.

Palmeri is 1 dimensional shooter, kase can do anything really... and youll love when he scores cause it looks like its his 1st goal every time

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
The nice thing with kase is he can be productive wherever you toss him in line up, he had his best season on our 3rd line, that was more of a grinder line... a lot of us thought he was going to end up our best winger if he ever stayed healthy.

Thanks for report..and Kase!

Reactions: Getz2noone

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada

I havent said this about a Sweeney move before... but I absolutely hate this. hope to hell he knows more about what happens next than I do because as of right this moment I got a sick feeling

not so much about kase… im ignorant about that player. im prepared to enjoy him. hope he will respond well to the new situation

but... retaining on backes is insane

giving up a first AND a quality prospect is overpayment

just... not happy at all as I sit here this moment

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If Kase can stay healthy, he could be something special. Only a year older than Pasta too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad