Friedman: Boston and Colorado interested in Andrew Copp

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
What is Copp good at?

This isn't a backhanded thing either. I just rarely watch the Jets play so I'm unaware of what type of player is he. Would he fit well in between Hall and Pastrnak?

jetsv2

Jan 13, 2013
What is Copp good at?

This isn't a backhanded thing either. I just rarely watch the Jets play so I'm unaware of what type of player is he. Would he fit well in between Hall and Pastrnak?
Hes one of those guys that is good at a bunch of things and great at nothing. He isnt going to light the league on fire with his scoring but he can produce when put it a top 6 role. He can play on a 2nd powerplay and is a good penalty killer. He can succeed if used in a top 6 scoring role, but is also a very good in a 3rd line shutdown/checking role.

He is pretty much the exact type of player that you would look for to have success in the playoffs, similar to Blake Coleman when Tampa traded for him.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Copp is pretty coveted on the Avs board. I have no idea what Sakic ends up doing, it seems like he's rumored to be in on everyone.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Copp would be better defensively than Haula without being an offensive upgrade. Hall and Pasta bleed chances against so its probably the best *value* option for that line in the short run, but doesn't really help longterm like a Hertl deal would.

However, if you think the Bruins need to concentrate on D more than the forward group its hard to afford Hertl, too, and not have him walk away (unless you think Bergeron is retiring which I cannot even consider without curling up in the fetal position on the floor).

Copp is not a guy that I would considering moving a 1st for in the slightest (especially with how good the Bruins first would be if they get knocked out of the first round), but perhaps something with DeBrusk and Copp being the main pieces. Or maybe a prospects driven deal concentrating on Studnicka.

What is Copp good at?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Smells like a Sakic move more than big game hunting. Other than being forced to get a goalie this past summer when Grubs didn’t resign (a positive move in retrospect), Sakic has been very conservative with dishing out top assets in deals. Some would say too conservative.

Regardless, the Avs desperately need to bolster their middle six and Copp’s versatility to play up and down the line-up and on special teams would be a great addition. He wouldn’t preclude a bigger move either although it would not be surprising if a Copp-level add was the big move up front for the Avs at the deadline.

The only downside I see is that I’m not sure the Avs have the budget to resign a guy like Copp after the season. He will be a coveted free agent and the Avs are going to have to be selective managing the cap. So there’s a pretty good chance this would be a rental.

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
If all the Avs do is trade for copp then that’s pretty lame… now is the time to go for it, not play it safe with an ok player… my opinion but go big or go home.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If all the Avs do is trade for copp then that’s pretty lame… now is the time to go for it, not play it safe with an ok player… my opinion but go big or go home.

But what "go for it" moves are out there that drastically increase the Avs chances, given that they are already one of the best teams in the NHL? I think that no matter what Sakic does, our success relies heavily on key players staying healthy. Giroux/Miller/etc doesn't really change that, even if they should give us a slightly better chance at winning IF everyone stays healthy.

Plus, we're poised to be contenders for the next decade, so giving up higher end assets that could become ELC players we'll likely need in the near future probably isn't a smart long term strategy.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
But what "go for it" moves are out there that drastically increase the Avs chances, given that they are already one of the best teams in the NHL? I think that no matter what Sakic does, our success relies heavily on key players staying healthy. Giroux/Miller/etc doesn't really change that, even if they should give us a slightly better chance at winning IF everyone stays healthy.

Plus, we're poised to be contenders for the next decade, so giving up higher end assets that could become ELC players we'll likely need in the near future probably isn't a smart long term strategy.

Yeah, the Avs need the kind of moves Tampa made before they started winning. Filling out the bottom half of the lineup with some players with grit and skill that can play above their regular season standards when things get rougher and tougher in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00