Friedman: Boston and Colorado interested in Andrew Copp

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
If I skim your post real quickly I see conservative and rental, so I know you must be saying in all those other words that you wont give anything up of value for a rental. But maybe a package deal for the 27 goal Stastny could still be discussed

:sarcasm:

Well because he is a rental. That’s literally what he is. :sarcasm:

But I do expect the Jets to get a very nice return even as a rental - he definitely would be a great addition to any contender. He’s just not a Giroux/Hertl/Lindholm level guy.

Reactions: AslanRH

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
This is the player the Avs need more than a Giroux once you factor in trade cost. He’s an ideal fit for their 3rd line.

what is the ask? Do not say Newhook, Byram, Barron or Olausson. That’s dumb and won’t happen. So beyond them…. What’s the ask for this 3rd line rental? Picks, prospects or roster players.

It Peg takes JTC.. Avs may add more to the list of assets Peg wants.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
When you have options like giroux on the table, copp is kind of a “cop out”. Pun intended. I mean if they get copp and win the cup I’ll eat my words. It just feels like go-time.
Avs have their top six set. They need a better bottom six. Taking an awesome player like Nuke out of the top six is subtraction by addition. You turn Bura to crap if he’s in the bottom six so more subtraction by addition. Avs don’t need Giroux. They need a heavier bottom six that can cycle and kill penalties. Sounds like a Copp type.

Jimmyjets

Oct 22, 2014
This is the player the Avs need more than a Giroux once you factor in trade cost. He’s an ideal fit for their 3rd line.

what is the ask? Do not say Newhook, Byram, Barron or Olausson. That’s dumb and won’t happen. So beyond them…. What’s the ask for this 3rd line rental? Picks, prospects or roster players.

It Peg takes JTC.. Avs may add more to the list of assets Peg wants.

Where you plan to play him is up to you and potentially impacts the value proposition of what you are willing to pay but it doesn't discount that the player is a top 6 caliber player that can play every forward role LW, RW or C and you can play him up or down the lineup.

The Jets will be looking to retain 50% on Copp and get a 1st or if there is a "B" prospect that we want, a 2nd + B prospect.

You don't want to trade Barron, who would be my first ask, so if the answer is no there I'd be asking for your 2023 1st or 2023 2nd + Hellson as options 2 and 3 in that order. I don't like waiting until 2023 for the pick, but getting the 20 year old RHD prospect from Minnesota that is currently attending Boston College addresses a need IMO so I would do it.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I mentioned it a few weeks ago on Colorado's board, but a Copp + Stastny bigger trade package would be such a huge get for the Avalanche.

Colorado's bottom-6 forwards are SO BAD. Outside of Alex Newhook, the group is comprised entirely of 4th line/13th forward caliber players. Copp and Stastny are 2nd liners on most teams, so adding them to Colorado's third line would put the club over the top, IMO.

I know there is a ton of smoke surrounding Colorado and Claude Giroux, but the Avalanche might be better served by adding two quality players rather than one home run swing. Just my $0.02.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I mentioned it a few weeks ago on Colorado's board, but a Copp + Stastny bigger trade package would be such a huge get for the Avalanche.

Colorado's bottom-6 forwards are SO BAD. Outside of Alex Newhook, the group is comprised entirely of 4th line/13th forward caliber players. Copp and Stastny are 2nd liners on most teams, so adding them to Colorado's third line would put the club over the top, IMO.

I know there is a ton of smoke surrounding Colorado and Claude Giroux, but the Avalanche might be better served by adding two quality players rather than one home run swing. Just my $0.02.
Does Colorado have the cap space for those two? 2023 1st and Stienberg and/or Helleson?

Reactions: shadow1

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Does Colorado have the cap space for those two? 2023 1st and Stienberg and/or Helleson?

The Avs have $3.8M in deadline space, so if both Jets players came 50% off (or Colorado moved out salary), it could be done.

And yes I imagine it would be Colorado 1st++. The deal you mentioned is probably good.

Reactions: snowkiddin

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The Avs have $3.8M in deadline space, so if both Jets players came 50% off (or Colorado moved out salary), it could be done.

And yes I imagine it would be Colorado 1st++. The deal you mentioned is probably good.
Jets would definitely retain 50% on both to increase trade value.

RustyCat

Registered homie
Dec 29, 2014
Winnipeg
I still don't want to trade him, but he would be a great add for a contending team.

My thoughts, as well. An underrated asset that I would hate to see go but he is a goner at the end of the year and will fetch a good return. So Chevy likely has more than a couple options.

Reactions: jetsforever

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
I honestly think that's who the jets are looking at, chevy has mentioned trying to do a hockey move this season and we need someone to replace copp in our middle six, it would just come down to what debrusk would want on his next contract

Ive been on the DB train since last year. I’ve watched a ton of him over the years and think him on the 2nd line with FeFe and Ehlers would be fantastic. Push Wheels down the the 3RW and find a skilled 3C and we are actually looking pretty good, IF we kept balanced ice times between the T9 and about 8-10 min for the bottom line

Last edited:

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
There’s nothing wrong with him… he’s just not the sexy options that Avs could scoop up and make a major statement.

Do they need to make a big splash though?

I certainly can see the argument that Copp would give them a versatile, defensively sound middle sixer who can play in all situations. Sexy, no. But they would be just that much deeper. And ultimately, that might be enough

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Where you plan to play him is up to you and potentially impacts the value proposition of what you are willing to pay but it doesn't discount that the player is a top 6 caliber player that can play every forward role LW, RW or C and you can play him up or down the lineup.

The Jets will be looking to retain 50% on Copp and get a 1st or if there is a "B" prospect that we want, a 2nd + B prospect.

You don't want to trade Barron, who would be my first ask, so if the answer is no there I'd be asking for your 2023 1st or 2023 2nd + Hellson as options 2 and 3 in that order. I don't like waiting until 2023 for the pick, but getting the 20 year old RHD prospect from Minnesota that is currently attending Boston College addresses a need IMO so I would do it.
I don’t think the Avs would offer more than just Helleson. He’s a good prospect and Copp is just a middle six guy rental.

helleson and a 2nd for Copp + Stasney both at 50% I’d do.

Reactions: Adam da bomb

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I can see the Aves targetting him but think some Jets fans would want quite a bit for his services

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
Yeah, the Avs need the kind of moves Tampa made before they started winning. Filling out the bottom half of the lineup with some players with grit and skill that can play above their regular season standards when things get rougher and tougher in the playoffs.
This. So much this. As an Avs fan it’s very clear they need depth (middle/bottom six) and 4-5 defensive help. The Avs top first line paired with Makar and Toews is the best in the league. There’s no question there, but their 3rd and 4th line and bottom pairing back end is the worst of the cup contenders imo.

Sure, if Bo comes back it will help the defense but who knows what happens there. The Avs desperately need to upgrade their depth to make a run.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
What is Copp good at?

This isn't a backhanded thing either. I just rarely watch the Jets play so I'm unaware of what type of player is he. Would he fit well in between Hall and Pastrnak?
This of him as being a consistent version of Coyle.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad