Friedman: Boston and Colorado interested in Andrew Copp

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
But what "go for it" moves are out there that drastically increase the Avs chances, given that they are already one of the best teams in the NHL? I think that no matter what Sakic does, our success relies heavily on key players staying healthy. Giroux/Miller/etc doesn't really change that, even if they should give us a slightly better chance at winning IF everyone stays healthy.

Plus, we're poised to be contenders for the next decade, so giving up higher end assets that could become ELC players we'll likely need in the near future probably isn't a smart long term strategy.
I mean it it depends on the assets… if we are talking like 1st/ Barron type then I think you can afford this and be better for it here/now. Obviously if it’s newhook/ byram then it’s debatable for sure.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
If all the Avs do is trade for copp then that’s pretty lame… now is the time to go for it, not play it safe with an ok player… my opinion but go big or go home.
I mean the top end of the roster is more than fine. We need depth more than anything and Copp would be a very good move in adding some stability in the bottom 6.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If all the Avs do is trade for copp then that’s pretty lame… now is the time to go for it, not play it safe with an ok player… my opinion but go big or go home.
Can't say I really agree with that. Where the Avs will lose in the playoffs, IMO, will be because of their #3 centre position, the overall mediocre bottom six, and their lack of a quality #4 defenseman (it's currently Jack Johnson...). Obviously, a top name -- a JT Miller, a Giroux, etc. -- would be awesome and would boost the Avs' bottom six just due to the fact that it pushes someone down the roster. But I think adding at least one high end third liner and a second pairing defenseman might actually be more useful for the playoffs than one high end scoring forward.

Reactions: AslanRH

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013

I don't think he'd be the big piece tbh. He's probably a 3C for the Avs.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
When you have options like giroux on the table, copp is kind of a “cop out”. Pun intended. I mean if they get copp and win the cup I’ll eat my words. It just feels like go-time.

Don't get me wrong. Giroux is huge want on the Avs board. But there's also substantial agreement that the big need is Middle/Bottom six improvments. Another one is a defenseman to play next to Girard.

Copp is also a popular name on the Avs board.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Don't get me wrong. Giroux is huge want on the Avs board. But there's also substantial agreement that the big need is Middle/Bottom six improvments. Another one is a defenseman to play next to Girard.

Copp is also a popular name on the Avs board.
The prices are slightly different I mean I imagine Giroux will cost either a 1st, Hellson, Barron +. Copp will cost a second and your 5-7th best prospect or a 2nd and 3rd

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Unless a team would prefer to not pay the price for those 2, then Copp may be choice #1.
Depends on what a team wants to accomplish. Miller and Giroux are a significant upgrade on Copp. If a team is looking for a #3 center then I agree Copp could very well be their first choice.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Copp is only 27, if I were interested in buying, he would be one of my first choices. He could be part of the team for the medium term at least.
Looks like a guy that can fill anywhere up and down the line up too, and most contenders already have the offensive spark that guys like Giroux/Hertl bring anyway.

Reactions: Royale With Cheese

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Copp would be better defensively than Haula without being an offensive upgrade. Hall and Pasta bleed chances against so its probably the best *value* option for that line in the short run, but doesn't really help longterm like a Hertl deal would.

However, if you think the Bruins need to concentrate on D more than the forward group its hard to afford Hertl, too, and not have him walk away (unless you think Bergeron is retiring which I cannot even consider without curling up in the fetal position on the floor).

Copp is not a guy that I would considering moving a 1st for in the slightest (especially with how good the Bruins first would be if they get knocked out of the first round), but perhaps something with DeBrusk and Copp being the main pieces. Or maybe a prospects driven deal concentrating on Studnicka.

I don't think the Jets can consider a deal around Debrusk. They have no cap space, and are pretty set on the wing.

Reactions: wintersej

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Copp is only 27, if I were interested in buying, he would be one of my first choices. He could be part of the team for the medium term at least.
Looks like a guy that can fill anywhere up and down the line up too, and most contenders already have the offensive spark that guys like Giroux/Hertl bring anyway.

The problem with his age is that as a pending free agent, it really doesn’t matter that’s he’s younger. He also fits the profile of a guy who is going to potentially be overpaid on the open market - versatile middle six guy with a chance to get his one and only big payday long-term deal.

Sure, you can say as a part of acquiring him that you’d like to see him part of your longer term plans but I’m not sure for teams near the cap you can comfortably say “we definitely will resign this guy”. He’s not Hertl or Lindholm - guys you absolutely don’t trade for unless you plan on making every attempt to re-sign long term. I see Copp as a rental for most teams.

Reactions: abo9

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Though I don't see much of him, Copp strikes me as your prototypical third line center. A hard worker who is a jack of all trades and master of none. The Bruins already have-among others- Coyle, Haula and probably Studnicka for that. My God, Sweeney is terrible!

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Copp is pretty coveted on the Avs board. I have no idea what Sakic ends up doing, it seems like he's rumored to be in on everyone.
That really just means Sakic is working the phones. Which he should be doing anyway as a cup contender.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
I don't think the Jets can consider a deal around Debrusk. They have no cap space, and are pretty set on the wing.
I honestly think that's who the jets are looking at, chevy has mentioned trying to do a hockey move this season and we need someone to replace copp in our middle six, it would just come down to what debrusk would want on his next contract

Reactions: jgimp

jetsfan91

May 29, 2013
If this is the primary move it sucks. If this is paired with upgrading the D it could make the #2 line a lot more two way balanced. But, much less sexy than solving the long term C issues with Hertl.
Copp is 100 percent the guy a contender should want. He can play anywhere in the top nine. He plus good defense, he plays PP, PK, and really you can slide him anywhere in your top 9. He’s like a jack of all trades. You can most likely get him without selling the farm to get him too. For what it would take to get a Giroux or Hertl I think you’re better off as a contender going for Copp because it will cost a lot less and his impact will he felt. Especially come playoff time.

thai jet

Aug 13, 2021
Winnipeg
Smells like a Sakic move more than big game hunting. Other than being forced to get a goalie this past summer when Grubs didn’t resign (a positive move in retrospect), Sakic has been very conservative with dishing out top assets in deals. Some would say too conservative.

Regardless, the Avs desperately need to bolster their middle six and Copp’s versatility to play up and down the line-up and on special teams would be a great addition. He wouldn’t preclude a bigger move either although it would not be surprising if a Copp-level add was the big move up front for the Avs at the deadline.

The only downside I see is that I’m not sure the Avs have the budget to resign a guy like Copp after the season. He will be a coveted free agent and the Avs are going to have to be selective managing the cap. So there’s a pretty good chance this would be a rental.

Sounds like Joe can move along then because there will be a bidding war for Copp'er. Very smart 2-way player. Gives an honest effort every game. Stastny is up to 27 goals now so there could be a package deal for the right price. These 2 are made for the playoffs.

Reactions: hn777

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Sounds like Joe can move along then because there will be a bidding war for Copp'er. Very smart 2-way player. Gives an honest effort every game. Stastny is up to 27 goals now so there could be a package deal for the right price. These 2 are made for the playoffs.

Huh? What about my post mentions anything about what it will take to trade for him? I just complimented Copp’s fit and that Sakic would be interested…

Reactions: AslanRH

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Huh? What about my post mentions anything about what it will take to trade for him? I just complimented Copp’s fit and that Sakic would be interested…

If I skim your post real quickly I see conservative and rental, so I know you must be saying in all those other words that you wont give anything up of value for a rental. But maybe a package deal for the 27 goal Stastny could still be discussed

:sarcasm:

Reactions: BKarchitect

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Copp is 100 percent the guy a contender should want. He can play anywhere in the top nine. He plus good defense, he plays PP, PK, and really you can slide him anywhere in your top 9. He’s like a jack of all trades. You can most likely get him without selling the farm to get him too. For what it would take to get a Giroux or Hertl I think you’re better off as a contender going for Copp because it will cost a lot less and his impact will he felt. Especially come playoff time.

I agree with everything you say, but also the Bruins have a unique need here with Krejci retiring and Bergeron getting up there. With limited cap space, adding Copp would either be as a rental or make it harder for them to add a bigger name to replace Krejci.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad