Confirmed Trade: [BOS/OTT] Mike Reilly for 2022 3rd round pick

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Anyone that says this is an overpayment hasn't seen Reilly play recently. With a sound defensive partner he is great. Ottawa loses this trade easily. Should have resigned the guy for at least a season or two. That third has such a low chance of making it to the NHL Good move Boston.

He had Zub who was a pretty sound defensive partner. Not amazing but making him look good.

They have Chabot/Sanderson/Brannstrom in the future on the left side.

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
He had Zub who has a pretty sound defensive partner. Not amazing but making him look good.

They have Chabot/Sanderson/Brannstrom in the future on the left side.

Reilly is just as much a reason that pairing has been solid. Theres a reason why he has twice as many points.

Sanderson is playing next season in college. Brann is still an uncertainty and can also play RD. I hope Ottawa resigns Reilly for at least a year.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
Reilly is just as much a reason that pairing has been solid. Theres a reason why he has twice as many points.

Sanderson is playing next season in college. Brann is still an uncertainty and can also play RD. I hope Ottawa resigns Reilly for at least a year.

Do you actually watch hockey games??? Reilly is inconsistent and has cost the Sens plenty of times over. Granted its more management fault for putting him in that position as a 3-4D. But arguing he is a solid top 3 guy is well.. absurd. You are no better.

Brannstrom will be better than him next year and Sanderson will be close if not as well. Next year after obviously he will.

Chevx

Jul 5, 2017
Planet Earth
I like it for Bruins, especially when your top4 is out at the time. Reilly this season is basically tier B/C Krug, haha. 3rd might be a slight overpayment, but hey, it is not unreasonable. He will get an icetime now and Bruce will decide where he puts him in the Isles/Caps series.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I haven't watched any Ottawa games this year, but this guy has 19 assists and is only -2 on the worst defensive club in terms of goals allowed in the league. By point shares, he was the best player on the entire Ottawa roster. Maybe overpayment, but what's the downside here?

Reactions: Blowfish

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If Boston had Reilly dressed tonight, they would have lost 8-2.

Perhaps, but if Boston had Reilly tonight, he would have been far and away the best defenseman Boston had on the ice. Boston tonight played with its #4/#6/#8/#9/#11/#12 defensemen.

and 4 and 6 are rookies

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Anyone that says this is an overpayment hasn't seen Reilly play recently. With a sound defensive partner he is great. Ottawa loses this trade easily. Should have resigned the guy for at least a season or two. That third has such a low chance of making it to the NHL Good move Boston.
I disagree with this assessment and I was one of Reilly’s biggest believers this season.
Good move for Boston however as many have stated in this thread, he’d be their 6/7 D with a healthy lineup. He was playing well against tough competition but I believe that says more of Zub than it does Reilly.

This trade allows Ottawa to give Brannstrom more ice time so that alone is a win for Ottawa.

Wish him the best in Boston though!

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
nu8xtGunhokg9n3iKmf12Csn6Z8UDsaJ_bK3sv_CcOf85jPVtqoPDSP8CkZ1jlgXkPM3RMKA9m1hsxM-sqwB4YXUSajOq67TS_-iDrjm6g

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
19 pts in 40 games is very good. Bruins need a PP QB while Grz is out.

Sense probably thought they could get a 4th for Reilly. And Bruins look like didnt want to chance it and made a trade a day earlier

He's not really a quarterback in the PP1 sense. What you're getting is a guy who can skate and move the puck fine, and slide onto your second powerplay and second PK. Not somebody you can match up against top lines though, and not a good enough puck-mover to carry a stay-at-home type. Better off as the better skater of a transition-oriented pair, but also solid enough to handle a heavy forecheck, even if his brain limits his ability to manage pressure.

It's a good move for Boston though. Reilly turned a corner this year, reducing his mistakes quite a bit and finding some balance between offence and defence. It remains to be seen if he can perform with anybody other than Zub though, as his progression coincided with that pair being assembled. I'm not sure anybody could make Gudbranson or Josh Brown effective, but Reilly certainly struggled with them.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
I like this for the Bruins. He's good LHD insurance for a unit decimated by injuries. Assuming good health, he would probably best served on Carlo's left. Carlo is a total event destroyer, for both teams. At ES Reilly would be able to gamble a little bit and maximize his ability knowing his partner is afraid to pass his own blue line. Zboril and Lauzon have been fine but both are getting dinged a lot so this is a good fit.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
He also said that he wasn't going to be making any big deals (like Pageau or Stone) and more like the ones he did yesterday.
This draft is also widely thought to 1) simply be a lower level draft, even pre-covid 2) a crapshoot with the lack of games for prospects and lack of in-depth scouting options

So... I think it was more platitudes, but fingers crossed he does make more trades!

Reactions: NyQuil

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
This draft is also widely thought to 1) simply be a lower level draft, even pre-covid 2) a crapshoot with the lack of games for prospects and lack of in-depth scouting options

So... I think it was more platitudes, but fingers crossed he does make more trades!

Well, it's one of those situations where you might be able to grab a better player with a lower pick because of that lack of scouting.

If it -is- a crapshoot, a 5th or 6th rounder might be worth more than in a regular year.

Reactions: uncleben

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad