Confirmed Trade: [BOS/OTT] Mike Reilly for 2022 3rd round pick

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
To be fair, we're talking about 1 assist in a grand total of 2 games.

I hope Reilly works out for another team. He has all the tools without the brain.

I do imagine he'll look better on a better team.
That shouldn't be surprising to anyone.
This sums up Reilly perfectly

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
He has been great so far doe Boston. Gets all his shots on net, defends better then Krug. Close friends with Coyle helps to ease him in.

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
As a sens fan, I like Reilly and think Boston got a solid player for a good deal. Reilly is quietly good but makes very visible bad plays on occasion which make people think he's bad. He will give up a costly turnover now and again but his transition play is really good. He's developed into a solid top 4 and I hope we resign him in the off season.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Reilly is a bi polar player...he has some skill and can look really smooth one play, then the next shift he gets bogus confidence and thinks he's the next Bobby Orr complicating simple plays leading to brutal turnovers. I wasn't a fan of his, but he was playing well up until this trade for a little while now, can't really complain about the trade either side imo.

Between being so banged up on the back-end and goaltending and having such a condensed 2nd half schedule after two covid stoppages - The Bruins needed someone. They've honestly been playing their AHL defence and goaltending and it was starting to fall apart.
If healthy, I doubt it'll happen this season - but healthier, The Bruins can sit him if the inconsistencies crop up. - but they've been plagued by inconsistencies already the past month with everyone you can name missing multiple games or weeks.

He's looked good the first couple games. It might be a good fit for him. Bruins forwards are taught to be some of the best in the league at supporting their d-men -
and he gets the puck off his stick quickly. Hopefully he keeps it simple.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I liked his game more as the year went on, but when exposed against top lines he conmits the worst gaffes imaginable and a strong fart knocks him off the puck. Be wary of signing him long term.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
As a sens fan, I like Reilly and think Boston got a solid player for a good deal. Reilly is quietly good but makes very visible bad plays on occasion which make people think he's bad. He will give up a costly turnover now and again but his transition play is really good. He's developed into a solid top 4 and I hope we resign him in the off season.
This kind of sums up a lot of dmen who have the puck a bunch. Guys like Letang, Karlsson, McAvoy, whoever. Every now and then they do things and you can’t help but think how the hell did they convince someone to pay them so much money.

Reilly has certainly been a welcome surprise in any case. Hope it continues because they need him right now

Reactions: TomasHertlsRooster

Dicky113

Oct 30, 2007
Didn’t know much about him before the trade but he’s been extremely solid since joining. Looks like he’s a great pickup for a 3rd round pick.

Reactions: czechmate

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I liked his game more as the year went on, but when exposed against top lines he conmits the worst gaffes imaginable and a strong fart knocks him off the puck. Be wary of signing him long term.

they should of learned from the John Moore signing

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
it's been a nice start for reilly without question. as long as boston keeps him in a position
to succeed, he'll be fine. ideally he plays 3rd pairing with miller when everyone is healthy.
but let's pump the brakes a little on the outlandish dan boyle comp and other stuff. petr kalus
scored on the first 3 shots he took in the NHL and he didn't become alex ovechkin.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
This guy is underrated but he is what he is - Boston knew what they were doing, he’s been in their division his entire career I believe.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
When he was with the Habs there were stretches when we thought our GM had found another gem for a dime. But then Reilly would make brutal, fairly regular mistakes.

From how he spoke, having the coach's confidence was especially important to him, meaning to not bench him for every little mistake, so that he could then play his game. Unfortunately what Mike may have thought were littles mistakes didn't match up with our coach's definition.

Its likely the guy just can't concentrate to not make major screw ups for long periods of time.

But possibly, with the right coach, assistant coach, maybe he can find a balance where he is allowed to play his game, but not to become complacent and then get reckless and start screwing up. I think he needs to be hand held and basically reminded constantly not to let success go to his head. Or he just can't.

Not looking so good on our end right now, but would like to see you guys later on this season.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
You like him now...you'll learn to hate him later.

He was brought in to stop the bleeding until the blueline could get back to relatively healthy. He's averaging 22+ minutes/game for the Bruins and they've gone 5-0 while averaging just 1.20 GA/G. Anything they get from here on out is just a bonus. He's played like a top 2-3 defenseman for what was possibly the most important stretch of the Bruins season to date. They have enough depth when healthy that they don't actually need him to be that guy going forward, but it sure would be nice.

I hope he gets a good contract out of this, but I don't see a scenario where the Bruins re-sign him.

Reactions: NyQuil

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
If Boston spends more time in the offensive zone, then there is less pressure on Reilly to make poor decisions in his own end.

Bruins systems make it easier for a solid PMD who is weaker in his own end?

All I can say is if Reilly was playing 22-23 minutes regularly on Sens, I'd be shouting at TV several times per game. Interesting that its worked out, Sens are a much better team now without him, Guds and Coburn.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I actually liked Reilly, he definitely makes things happen.

I used to liken him a bit to Joe Corvo - he can be very valuable in the right situation.

Just not ours at the moment.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
The good news for Boston is that he doesn't have to be exposed against top lines. Bruins D (thank God) is deep. We've used 13 defensemen this season so far. Players who have missed time due to injuries: McAvoy, Carlo, Lauzon, Zboril, Miller, Moore, Gryz -- and then even the replacement players like Tinordi and Moore.

Add to that a long stretch of no Rask and Halak. For several games we dressed Swayman and Vladar (I think their total NHL games for the first night of that pair was a whopping 3 games).

Getting healthy now, so Reilly doesn't have to be the top pairing guy.

As far as brain farts, we had Krug so we can adjust to that. Loved TK47 -- a warrior -- but outside of his offensive talent, he could be an adventure on the back end.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Bruins fans: How's he looked for you guys?
He's been very good -- on both ends of the ice. He does this strange thing in that he gets his shot on net. We are not used to that in Boston, so that is very odd and frankly a little hard to get used to. In Boston we thought that was against the rules -- apparently this is not the case.

Our announcers like to say "and X shoots, intentionally wide" -- as if every shot was designed to get a favorable bounce off the boards - and I guess just because we had to come up with some sort of explanation.:laugh:

My sincere hope is that many of our other D go to school on him in that regard!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: