Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Matt Grzelcyk re-signs with the Bruins (4 years, $3.6875M AAV)

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
He should be taking over for Krug. If you play fantasy grab him early as his point totals are about to double. Heck, probably more than double? He played around 400 minutes with Bergeron or Krejci and about 600 without them at 5 on 5 last year. Expect those number to reverse. Breakout season incoming.

Want to quibble on saying Weegar is better defensively. Gryz is top notch as disrupting plays in center ice and prevention zone entries. Certainly not as good defending around his net as Weegar, but it’s not as clear cut as you threw out there.

I would normally agree, however, with Marchand and Pastrnak out for a good part of the beginning of the season… and then they have to get up to get into game shape… I think most Bruins players are going to be picking a hit in fantasy next year.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
He's literally better at every aspect of the game except PP/Offensive IQ and Krug also plays with a ton of heart.

Gryz is better at:
-D Zone breakout (incredibly elusive)
-O Zone entry
-Hands
-Skating
-Defensive IQ (really good at anticipating passes in the neutral zone)

Krug skillset is rare/special though, gamebreaking ability with his passing
IMO they're not the same type of defensemen at all.

The only area they are comparable is corner/board battles... they both suck lol.
How can anyone say this about a third pairing dman. If he was all of these things he wouldn’t have played sheltered min on the third pairing all season long. He is not close to what a Krug is and likely never will be, don’t hate the guy but to give him those accolades is a bit much. If they pair him on the first pairing it will be a disaster within the first month. Fast heavy forwards coming down on him shift after shift will be a disaster, his best spot will be with Carlo on the second pair.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
??? The best D in the league, really?

McAvoy is a fine first pair RD, Carlo is alright as a 2nd pair RD. Clifton? Meh.

Without Chara and Krug, Grzelcyk is the #1 LD, followed by? Lauzon? Moore? Zboril?

That's weak as hell.

Let's just say we agree to disagree.
... Want to check which teams had the lowest goals against last season? Apparently youll be surprised.

Carlo is more than fine as a top 4D, hes very very good.

Want to check how good McAvoy and Gryz were as a pairing last season? One of the best in the league when they were together.

Lauzon and Clifton are both better than Chara at this point.

Losing Chara is really nothing at this point. All they're missing is Krug and while thats a big loss his only real contributions were on the PP and he was pretty meh 5v5.

Maybe watch a game?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
And Chara. And potentially Rask -- who covers up a lot of mistakes.
This isnt 2010 anymore, losing Chara is like losing a #6D.

Also Chara might still come back and saying their defense is bad because they "might" lose their starting goalie makes no logical sense :laugh:

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
... Want to check which teams had the lowest goals against last season? Apparently youll be surprised.

Carlo is more than fine as a top 4D, hes very very good.

Want to check how good McAvoy and Gryz were as a pairing last season? One of the best in the league when they were together.

Lauzon and Clifton are both better than Chara at this point.

Losing Chara is really nothing at this point. All they're missing is Krug and while thats a big loss his only real contributions were on the PP and he was pretty meh 5v5.

Maybe watch a game?

First, i don't like your tone. "Maybe watch game", really?

If you really knew hockey, I have a hard time seeing how you can say that Lauzon and Clifton are better than Chara? Even if Chara is far from being what he used to be, that is outrageous. Don't you think Cassidy (who I guess is probably a better talent evaluator than you) would have played them more than 15 min/game if it was the case? Chara, with all his flaws, still played 21 mins/game in key situations and was the main shutdown guy. Start watching hockey yourself. I don't think many Bruins fan will claim that Lauzon/Clifton are more than a 3rd pair Ds right now.

I know a top pair D when I see one, and Gryzlcyk, as good as he is, is not that right now. I said he's a 2nd pair D, which is alright. Fact he was good with McAvoy don't make him a first pair D. It's like saying Mike Komisarek was a first pair D because he was playing with Andrei Markov.

Most Bruins fan will agree that D is weaker that it has been in the recent past, and that the left side is pretty bad. That is just a fact. It is not a hot take or anything.

Stop embarassing yourself.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
First, i don't like your tone. "Maybe watch game", really?

If you really knew hockey, I have a hard time seeing how you can say that Lauzon and Clifton are better than Chara? Even if Chara is far from being what he used to be, that is outrageous. Don't you think Cassidy (who I guess is probably a better talent evaluator than you) would have played them more than 15 min/game if it was the case? Chara, with all his flaws, still played 21 mins/game in key situations and was the main shutdown guy. Start watching hockey yourself. I don't think many Bruins fan will claim that Lauzon/Clifton are more than a 3rd pair Ds right now.

I know a top pair D when I see one, and Gryzlcyk, as good as he is, is not that right now. I said he's a 2nd pair D, which is alright. Fact he was good with McAvoy don't make him a first pair D. It's like saying Mike Komisarek was a first pair D because he was playing with Andrei Markov.

Most Bruins fan will agree that D is weaker that it has been in the recent past, and that the left side is pretty bad. That is just a fact. It is not a hot take or anything.

Stop embarassing yourself.
Yes the D isnt as good as it was last season. That doesnt mean it still isnt a very good D core.

Chara played a lot because he was being covered by McAvoy, in the same way Bogosian was being covered by Hedman. Their main shutdown player was Carlo and that's not really debatable. Chara is nothing more than a tall bottom pair D at this point, why else do you think Boston isnt sure if they want him back?

They have one hole in their top 4 with Krug gone that they will see if one of their young guys can fill and if not they will add someone at the deadline since they have cap room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad