Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Matt Grzelcyk re-signs with the Bruins (4 years, $3.6875M AAV)

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Same age as Weegar, within a couple days of each other, both RFAs.
Weegs missed 24 games this year, or else they'd be virtually tied in games played.

Grez averages 4 goals and 22pts over 82 game average, gets some 2nd unit PP time.
Weegar averages 6 goals and 20pts over 82 game average, no PP time.

Grez is the more offensive minded of the two.
Weegar is the better defensive defenseman and better 5 on 5 scoring

Still holding out hope Weegar will sign either 2, 3 or 4 years.
Just felt this is somewhat of a comparable we may see if it's multi-year for Weegs.

Great deal for BOS, he should be able to grow with Krug gone.
Do BOS fans see him eventually getting more PP time?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Wow! Great number for the Bruins. Four years and under four mil per. Looking at the cap costs for other D around the league, and isn’t this kind of low for Gris?

Sweeney has his faults but his best attribute has been getting the players to buy into the team concept and take franchise friendly deals.

Reactions: Kalus

BostonBruins11

Dec 4, 2010
Moncton, N.B.
He's been Boston best defensemen at D-zone breakouts. Incredibly elusive/smooth.

100% underrated.

His only CON is he's small(obvious) and mostly leans on safe plays in the offensive zone which obviously limits his point production.

But he has shown flashes of brilliant offensive instinct.

Reactions: b in vancouver

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Weegs missed 24 games this year, or else they'd be virtually tied in games played.

Grez averages 4 goals and 22pts over 82 game average, gets some 2nd unit PP time.

Just felt this is somewhat of a comparable we may see if it's multi-year for Weegs.

He should be taking over for Krug. If you play fantasy grab him early as his point totals are about to double. Heck, probably more than double? He played around 400 minutes with Bergeron or Krejci and about 600 without them at 5 on 5 last year. Expect those number to reverse. Breakout season incoming.

Want to quibble on saying Weegar is better defensively. Gryz is top notch as disrupting plays in center ice and prevention zone entries. Certainly not as good defending around his net as Weegar, but it’s not as clear cut as you threw out there.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He should be taking over for Krug. If you play fantasy grab him early as his point totals are about to double. Heck, probably more than double? He played around 400 minutes with Bergeron or Krejci and about 600 without them at 5 on 5 last year. Expect those number to reverse. Breakout season incoming.

Want to quibble on saying Weegar is better defensively. Gryz is top notch as disrupting plays in center ice and prevention zone entries. Certainly not as good defending around his net as Weegar, but it’s not as clear cut as you threw out there.

You can check the metrics between the two if you want, not taking anything away from either, both good #4 D with potential to play top pairing.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
It’s ei

It’s either him or McAvoy. The rest of them handle the puck like it might stab them at any instant.

Would be funny if Miller took over the pp though. Like he’d been secretly training for the past two years at it, becomes Orr like in his last few years of playing.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Gsheltzyk would be quite correct pronunciation in Polish, with "tz" like in GeTZlaf.

I'd say yours is also not bad but in Polish r and z together combine and they become one letter, like "Zh" in Russian.
Ah like "ж?"

I first thought his name was pronounced was pronounced kind of like the "ZL" in "Zloty." Or am I just getting the pronunciation of the currency wrong?

When I tried to spell it phonetically, I changed from my original sound.

Sorry, all my Cyrillic and understanding of Slavic languages is self taught.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Wow! Great number for the Bruins. Four years and under four mil per. Looking at the cap costs for other D around the league, and isn’t this kind of low for Gris?

I wouldn't go that far. I think it's a fair deal. I feel like hf would always rather label deals steals or terrible even when they're pretty much right on the money. Like what do you think is fair for Grzelcyk?

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
His father has been working forever as a ice maintenance crew with the Bruins. His brother also works with his father, Matt was there a lot growing up. This is a great story of a local kid who made his hometown pro team. As for his game, he is an excellent skater and puck handler, he is so shifty and plays a smart simple game. Reminds me of a modern Phil Housley.

Bruins’ Matt Grzelcyk has family ties to the Garden – Boston Herald

Last edited:

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I wouldn't go that far. I think it's a fair deal. I feel like hf would always rather label deals steals or terrible even when they're pretty much right on the money. Like what do you think is fair for Grzelcyk?
I was thinking 4.5 for Grz. But the market is depressed right now, so guys are getting less.

Reactions: maxbme and Kalus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad