Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] Linus Ullmark has signed with Boston (4 years, $5M AAV)

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
And if Swayman doesn't end up being a starter, who was going to play in net? You?

They had both swayman and vladar who are candidates to at least be platoon goalies. Irrational Fear based people like you are the reason there are GMs that give out bad long term contracts. Gotta hit the pause button.

Reactions: PeanutButter37

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
They had both swayman and vladar who are candidates to at least be platoon goalies. Irrational Fear based people like you are the reason there are GMs that give out bad long term contracts. Gotta hit the pause button.

you do realize they’re trying to compete for a cup yes?

your suggestion is that they rely on a guy with 10 career games and a guy with 5 career games

“fear based”…..or common sense driven

Jon77

Feb 1, 2021

So you put all your chips on two entry level goalies (not saying they are not talented, just not proven). I think this sets the bruins up for ability to grow the younger guys, allows for rask to not rush or if he decides to retire.
Same as foligno signing allows DK to make decision and not put bruins in a hole for weeks/months.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I thought Ullmark was going to have to settle for like 3 million with Buffalo because he's so unproven

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
good luck to linus in boston, he’s a good guy and can play at a high level, only problem is he gets hurt a lot

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Are you aware that they played in a bubble last year? It's not as if Ullmark was going to get a win against COL or VGK.

Just to add to that: he didn't play the Penguins at all, so he only played against 6 teams this past season. I wouldn't read too much into that beyond those teams not playing until the Sabres season had bottomed out for a third or fourth time.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
For a team trying to win the Cup, going into the season with a guy who has a total of 10 games under his belt as the number one goalie is SUICIDE. This is professional hockey at the highest level in the world, not kindergarten, nor a beer league. GMs must have a viable plan (better if planS), not some pie in the sky fantasy like yours.

Reactions: Gee Wally

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
How good he will be all depends on how D and he gels. Hope he do great but i hate Boston.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
So you put all your chips on two entry level goalies (not saying they are not talented, just not proven). I think this sets the bruins up for ability to grow the younger guys, allows for rask to not rush or if he decides to retire.
Same as foligno signing allows DK to make decision and not put bruins in a hole for weeks/months.

Signing a goalie for 2 years could have done the same thing. It's the 4 year deal I have an issue with.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
For a team trying to win the Cup, going into the season with a guy who has a total of 10 games under his belt as the number one goalie is SUICIDE. This is professional hockey at the highest level in the world, not kindergarten, nor a beer league. GMs must have a viable plan (better if planS), not some pie in the sky fantasy like yours.

Uh, they could have signed a guy for 2 years, not 4.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Uh, they could have signed a guy for 2 years, not 4.

Could they have though? Maybe Ullmark was the guy they really wanted and he wanted four years to sign. Players have all the leverage in free agency. Bruins are in a win now mode and didn't have time to wait around for Rask or have complete faith in two goalies with about a dozen games experience between them. If Swayman steps up in the next couple of years and proves he's capable of taking over the reigns then the contract is very movable. Bruins have a window and they're doing what they need to do to insure they have the best chance possible to win while it's open

Zach716

Pucks in deep
Nov 24, 2018
Boston will love him. The only concern is him staying healthy. Even if Boston is in the division I will always hope Linus has personal success. He did his time and developed into a very solid G.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Seems like the only real concern from Buffalo fans is health. That may give Swayman plenty of starts or maybe they’re planning to give him lighter workload than an “typical” starter anyway.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
Seems like the only real concern from Buffalo fans is health. That may give Swayman plenty of starts or maybe they’re planning to give him lighter workload than an “typical” starter anyway.

Definitely. Ullmark won't get the typical amount of starts a #1 goalie should. Swayman will be given opportunity as well and will grab a big chunk of starts.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Definitely. Ullmark won't get the typical amount of starts a #1 goalie should. Swayman will be given opportunity as well and will grab a big chunk of starts.

they will watch Swaymans performance and balance that against up to 42 games played.
Once he hits 42 more games played he’s no longer waiver exempt.
That exemption could be of great importance if Rask indeed comes back late in season.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Before the off-season I wasn’t sure if Boston would make the playoffs since the Atlantic is a really good division. They’ve probably had the best off-season so far and will be competing for top 2 in the Atlantic with the moves they made.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com

I’ll take an overpaid 1b any day of the week over a ruined elite goalie prospect’s career development and another missed opportunity at a deep run at the cup.

Your priorities are opposite that of a good, experienced GM.

The Grim Reaper

Sponsor
Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Signing young goalies in free agency is risky. Hope this works out, but it’s a gamble. More often than not the contract isn’t worth it. Deal isn’t that bad, though.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
they will watch Swaymans performance and balance that against up to 42 games played.
Once he hits 42 more games played he’s no longer waiver exempt.
That exemption could be of great importance if Rask indeed comes back late in season.

Yeah for sure. I don't expect him to start half the games by any means. I do think he'll start more than your average back up though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00