Trade: [BOS/LAD] Mookie Betts and David Price for Alex Verdugo, Jeter Downs, and Connor Wong

Sep 19, 2008
They should care. The Red Sox were champions buying trophies and then suddenly out of nowhere start penny pinching and trading their best players just because they don't want to fork over cash to pay em. Absolutely disgraceful how far the Red Sox have fallen. I predict a disastrous season for them in 2020.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It is pretty god damn clear to me the Sox panicked when they saw the fan outrage over the deal lol they weren't surprised by a medical report that people can Google about the pitcher they were going to get or his projection as a reliever.

Reactions: Belieber

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
twins should consider themselves lucky

maeda going back to the dodgers after they tried trading him reminds me of the vetoed chris paul to lakers trade

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I might be misunderstanding the motivations on various ends, but it seems like the relevant question is why the Twins continue to be involved. My initial reaction was that the trade worked out fairly well for both the Dodgers and Twins, whereas the Red Sox took a safer, already established MLB player and were content to dump as much salary as they could.

I can't imagine that the Dodgers would replace Graterol with May, unless Price is no longer part of the deal or something (even if Boston paid more, which doesn't make sense for them because the whole point is to use Betts' value to get out from under the tax threshold, I don't think the Dodgers would budge on May). But it seems like they could get something close to the original deal done by including Gonsolin, which was/is one of the bigger rumors out there.

The question would then become whether or not the Dodgers definitely want to pivot to moving Maeda, since the Twins component of the deal isn't necessary to get the deal for Betts done. It's possible that LA could just want Graterol, and I guess maybe an additional piece, but surely the contingent Pederson deal is more important for the Dodgers' own tax purposes.

I guess maybe an alternative would be that the Twins give up a different prospect or two who would go to Boston, but that seems like more of a stretch. My read/guess is that if the deal isn't going to fully collapse, then it's more likely that either two distinct deals will occur, or the Twins won't end up with Maeda. I guess it might be a little weird for LA to keep Maeda at this point, but who knows.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
Dodgers are pretty much set on the infield so Downs was expendable. Still, it’s unfortunate to see the Red Sox be awarded for some really shitty business behavior

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
What a save by Bloom.

Heyman probably rushing back to Boras to see what other shit he wants him to peddle now that this deal is done

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad