Proposal: Bos/Det

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I've lost count of how many seasons the Bruins have been trying to add reliable secondary scoring beyond the Bergeron line. I think a guy like Anthony Mantha could be a great addition, as he has the size and scoring touch the Bruins always seem to target, and frankly, that Krejci seems to gel with.

DeBrusk could be a key part of the return. A 27 goal scorer in 2019, and would've easily passed 20 last year in a full season (19 in 65 gp), but this season he hasn't really clicked anywhere in the lineup. A change of scenery may do him good.

:wings
DeBrusk
Bruins 1st

:bruins
Mantha
Det 3rd
No thanks

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
You get the better player and only have to move back 2-4 spots... You sure?
He being the better player is up for debate . My main reason for not doing the trade it does not make the Bruins better ,that is why I want to have both players and would like to other pieces .

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He being the better player is up for debate . My main reason for not doing the trade it does not make the Bruins better ,that is why I want to have both players and would like to other pieces .
It's not up for debate. Mantha outscored him last season despite playing TWENTY TWO less games on the most offensively challenged team in the league.

The only other thing Boston would have to offer is multiple 1sts and/or Zboril/Lauzon/Gryz

Reactions: TS Quint

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
Mantha would be a force on a team with players and a competent coach. 30-35 goals regularly. He has checked with DRW

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Lmao @ people who think Debrusk and mantha are equivalent players. Cmon dude. Mantha scored more points in less games on one of the worst teams in the last two decades. Debrusk would have had like 10 points on Detroit last year.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
It's not up for debate. Mantha outscored him last season despite playing TWENTY TWO less games on the most offensively challenged team in the league.

The only other thing Boston would have to offer is multiple 1sts and/or Zboril/Lauzon/Gryz
That gives you something to work with . just a thought Gryz,Jacob Lauko, and a first for Mantha, Staal some retainment with Staal.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I think this is a pretty reasonable deal.

It's important to remember, Boston doing this would mean they're expecting that pick to be deep into the 20's. If not the 30's.
And it's not a good draft. Not that I'm aware of anyway.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
2nd or lesser prospect. Like an Oskar Steen
Bruins cannot keep giving picks , I would give Steen . This type of deal give them a shot at a cup while they still have their core . They are still staying young with Mantha keep DeBrusk and get sone veteran help on the D for their cup run with their young promising D..........

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I don’t hate it actually.

If Detroit would do Gryz and 2nd. Throw in a project if you want like a Lauko. Send back a 3rd maybe? Meh. Why not.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
DeBrusk
Bruins 1st (2022)

Mantha
Det 2nd (2021)

That doesn't work for Detroit either.

Detroit's 2nd in 2021 is going to be 33 to 35.

Boston's 1st rounder in 2022 is going to be 27 to 32.

Not good value for Detroit to take a big downgrade on wing while only jumping 1 to 6 spots in the draft 1 year later.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
DeBrusk is 2 yrs younger 2 million cheaper and there close to the same output yet we’re giving up a 1st ?

Nah I want a better quarter
Detroit can retain on Mantha very easily. Say 20%? That said, Mantha is MUCH better than DeBrusk, and would be excellent for Boston. He's a matchup nightmare when he's on his game, and the hope would be that playing meaningful playoff hockey would keep him engaged.

I think this is a pretty reasonable deal.

It's important to remember, Boston doing this would mean they're expecting that pick to be deep into the 20's. If not the 30's.
And it's not a good draft. Not that I'm aware of anyway.
As a Detroit fan I will admit that the draft compensation is negligible in this trade, unless it's specifically a 2022 1st. That would be much more interesting.

DeBrusk
Bruins 1st (2022)

Mantha
Det 2nd (2021)
Throw in a third and you got a deal.

Bruins cannot keep giving picks , I would give Steen . This type of deal give them a shot at a cup while they still have their core . They are still staying young with Mantha keep DeBrusk and get sone veteran help on the D for their cup run with their young promising D..........
Pass on Steen. Detroit already has enough players like him (or better) in their pipeline. I understand the desire to start planning for the future, but a 1st in this extra crap-shoot of a draft is unlikely to make a big difference. And Mantha is not a rental either, he will be in his prime throughout this deal and could extend any competitive window the Bruins may have.

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
That doesn't work for Detroit either.

Detroit's 2nd in 2021 is going to be 33 to 35.

Boston's 1st rounder in 2022 is going to be 27 to 32.

Not good value for Detroit to take a big downgrade on wing while only jumping 1 to 6 spots in the draft 1 year later.
I'm okay with it, given that the 2021 draft is going to be an even bigger crapshoot and having assets in the 2022 is much more appealing to me. I would ask for another pick or B-level prospect (not that Boston has many of the latter) coming back though.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I'm okay with it, given that the 2021 draft is going to be an even bigger crapshoot and having assets in the 2022 is much more appealing to me. I would ask for another pick or B-level prospect (not that Boston has many of the latter) coming back though.

The 2021 draft right now is looking like a crapshoot. When the CHL seasons are concluded and when the summer tournaments are completed I think we'll have a decent picture of who should go where.

We have an even less certain picture of the 2022 draft because so many of those kids would be playing their rookie season right now if not for COVID. All we know is that Shane Wright is the next McDavid or Matthews as a 1st, and that Brad Lambert looks like a phenom.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Overpayment.
Mantha 5.7 million for the next four years and major minus player.
DeBrusk 3.675 for the next two years a bit better in +/- and similiar output.
No way are you sending a 1st round pick

Yeah I’m sure Mantha being on the lowest scoring team and DeBrusk on one of the best has nothing to do with that +/- difference

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
As a Detroit fan I will admit that the draft compensation is negligible in this trade, unless it's specifically a 2022 1st. That would be much more interesting.
Understandable and I would certainly push for it.
But I would also try and get as many darts as I could for rebuilding.
You could also use some draft luck. Lottery wise I mean.

Reactions: Tetsuo

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
With Sweeney's track record of going off the board, a first and a third are essential the same value to the B's. That + this draft class will be ridiculously under scouted, making it even more of a crap shoot than the draft typically is.

I agree with the sentiment that the B's need to restock the prospect pool, as it is pretty grim now that most of the promising prospects are seeing time in the NHL. No real replacements for Bergeron and Krejci, etc. But this team is still at the top of the league, with it's Cup window still open, and this move is about adding skill and depth scoring to make a serious run at a Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad