Proposal: Bos/Det

Tetsuo

Boss of a Pile of Rubble
Apr 11, 2018
Michigan
The 2021 draft right now is looking like a crapshoot. When the CHL seasons are concluded and when the summer tournaments are completed I think we'll have a decent picture of who should go where.

We have an even less certain picture of the 2022 draft because so many of those kids would be playing their rookie season right now if not for COVID. All we know is that Shane Wright is the next McDavid or Matthews as a 1st, and that Brad Lambert looks like a phenom.
I won't deny that things absolutely could change between now and draft day, but there will (probably) be more game film of 2022 draftees than 2021s if the draft will be held as scheduled. I would be singing a different tune if the draft is delayed in a more meaningful way, but as it is right now, the value of an early 2nd rounder is definitely reduced given that there is going to be a lot more uncertainty throughout the draft. If anything I want more late round picks in 2021 and let the scouts swing for the fences on each and everyone.

Understandable and I would certainly push for it.
But I would also try and get as many darts as I could for rebuilding.
You could also use some draft luck. Lottery wise I mean.
Don't I know it. The Wings have fallen more in the draft lottery than any other team, Ottawa and Vancouver included. Seider and Raymond are good prospects, don't get me wrong, but getting a guy like Wright would make a world of difference for our talent-starved roster.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I won't deny that things absolutely could change between now and draft day, but there will (probably) be more game film of 2022 draftees than 2021s if the draft will be held as scheduled. I would be singing a different tune if the draft is delayed in a more meaningful way, but as it is right now, the value of an early 2nd rounder is definitely reduced given that there is going to be a lot more uncertainty throughout the draft. If anything I want more late round picks in 2021 and let the scouts swing for the fences on each and everyone.

Don't I know it. The Wings have fallen more in the draft lottery than any other team, Ottawa and Vancouver included. Seider and Raymond are good prospects, don't get me wrong, but getting a guy like Wright would make a world of difference for our talent-starved roster.
The other part of luck is, when you get a top pick, a franchise altering player needs to be there.
We here in Toronto don't for a second forget how fortunate we were when we had the best odds in the lottery.
You don't even have to fall far; McDavid/Ekblad >>>> Eichel Reinhardt.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Is this the first time in HFboards history two fan bases agree on a trade?

That doesn't work for Detroit either.

Detroit's 2nd in 2021 is going to be 33 to 35.

Boston's 1st rounder in 2022 is going to be 27 to 32.

Not good value for Detroit to take a big downgrade on wing while only jumping 1 to 6 spots in the draft 1 year later.

Oh dang! I didn't realize Detroit had to throw in a 2nd rounder. I thought it was DeBrusk + 1st for JUST Mantha.

Yeah, no deal!

I missed the devil in the details. I wasn't in love with the idea of DeBrusk + 1st straight up for Mantha, but was only considering it to help bump DET's rebuild.

No deal.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I don’t hate it actually.

If Detroit would do Gryz and 2nd. Throw in a project if you want like a Lauko. Send back a 3rd maybe? Meh. Why not.
Gryz and a 2nd for Mantha? Don't see any interest in a deal like this from Detroit. Gryz is a fine 2nd pairing guy, that doesn't get you a Mantha. The late second is not the piece that makes that deal palatable.

Jon77

Feb 1, 2021
I've lost count of how many seasons the Bruins have been trying to add reliable secondary scoring beyond the Bergeron line. I think a guy like Anthony Mantha could be a great addition, as he has the size and scoring touch the Bruins always seem to target, and frankly, that Krejci seems to gel with.

DeBrusk could be a key part of the return. A 27 goal scorer in 2019, and would've easily passed 20 last year in a full season (19 in 65 gp), but this season he hasn't really clicked anywhere in the lineup. A change of scenery may do him good.

:wings
DeBrusk
Bruins 1st

:bruins
Mantha
Det 3rd
So the bruins give up a first for equal or near equal player. I thought the bruins need to get a winger for the Krejci line...so we exchange wingers and still need a winger for the Krejci line and give up a first. Pass all day. If I were DRWs I jump on it.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
DeBrusk is 2 yrs younger 2 million cheaper and there close to the same output yet we’re giving up a 1st ?

Nah I want a better quarter

well this isnt true

35pts in 65 games isnt the same as 38 in 43

Mantha has outscored Debrusk every single year, even despite playing 22 less games last year

add to it that he is 6'5/230 and they arent close

and yes, mantha is a lot better and it would cost a 1st on top

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
So the bruins give up a first for equal or near equal player. I thought the bruins need to get a winger for the Krejci line...so we exchange wingers and still need a winger for the Krejci line and give up a first. Pass all day. If I were DRWs I jump on it.

Debrusk: 19g/35pts in 65 games (0.54ppg)
Mantha: 16g/38pts in 43 games (0.88ppg)

lol imagine thinking a guy that has been the lesser player for 5 straight years is equal

Reactions: TS Quint and Ishad

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think you should watch the Bruins if you’re calling us high powered, If your referring to the 1st line and PP then okay but as far as the secondary scoring DeBrusk is water and Krech is oil not a good fit at all and they’ve been placed together his whole career basically.

So yes the output is close to the same.

but the stats dont back that up. 0.88ppg isnt the same asd 0.54ppg SMH

Jon77

Feb 1, 2021
Debrusk: 19g/35pts in 65 games (0.54ppg)
Mantha: 16g/38pts in 43 games (0.88ppg)

lol imagine thinking a guy that has been the lesser player for 5 straight years is equal
i said near equal. Dont forget minutes matter - Debrusk is 2nd line and limited PP. Mantha is first line and PP time. Helps the PPG

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Level playing field. Last 3 full season at 5v5 per 60.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick
You should remember that Mantha is on the most offensively incompetent team in the league. If you really think that they're similarly skilled, keep Debrusk. I have no interest in a deal centered around Mantha for Debrusk. Mantha is better at everything. Mantha treats Debrusk's mom better than her son. That's how far his superiority extends.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
i said near equal. Dont forget minutes matter - Debrusk is 2nd line and limited PP. Mantha is first line and PP time. Helps the PPG

MANTHA IS/WAS ON ONE OF THE WORST TEAM IN RECORDED NHL HISTORY.

The Red Wings had like four NHL caliber players on their roster last year. Mantha was one of them. Their defense had Filip Hronek (who is dogshit defensively still) and a bunch of either completely washed up has-beens or a group of never-will-bes. Like don't remotely try to compare DeBrusk and Mantha and paint them as anything close to equal. DeBrusk is on a loaded team. Those 2nd line minutes? He's not facing the guys that Marchand, Bergeron, and Pastrnak were. The Bertuzzi, Larkin, Mantha line last year was quite literally Detroit's only hope for points. I mean, look at the +/- of the guys on Detroit's second line. Andreas Athanasiou -45, Filppula -42, that means those f***ers weren't scoring.

Also... DeBrusk played 1043 minutes last year and had 35 points. Mantha played 812 and had 38. What the hell are you talking about?

Extend that further... Debrusk had 167 power play minutes. Mantha had 141. So, Debrusk played more minutes with more minutes on the power play against worse quality of competition... and still didn't have as many points. But yeah, they're about equal. :help:

Reactions: TS Quint

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Mantha would be a force on a team with players and a competent coach. 30-35 goals regularly. He has checked with DRW

I take offence at this. Blashill is very competent in blending a bunch of lines together that make no sense. He is also league best at picking players to be on the ice when you need a goal. Everyone wants Glendening, Nielsen and Erne out there when you need a goal with 2 minutes to go. I think you are just jealous, quite frankly.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

The Red Wings had like four NHL caliber players on their roster last year. Mantha was one of them. Their defense had Filip Hronek (who is dogshit defensively still) and a bunch of either completely washed up has-beens or a group of never-will-bes. Like don't remotely try to compare DeBrusk and Mantha and paint them as anything close to equal. DeBrusk is on a loaded team. Those 2nd line minutes? He's not facing the guys that Marchand, Bergeron, and Pastrnak were. The Bertuzzi, Larkin, Mantha line last year was quite literally Detroit's only hope for points. I mean, look at the +/- of the guys on Detroit's second line. Andreas Athanasiou -45, Filppula -42, that means those f***ers weren't scoring.

Also... DeBrusk played 1043 minutes last year and had 35 points. Mantha played 812 and had 38. What the hell are you talking about?

Extend that further... Debrusk had 167 power play minutes. Mantha had 141. So, Debrusk played more minutes with more minutes on the power play against worse quality of competition... and still didn't have as many points. But yeah, they're about equal. :help:
Yeah I've heard a few Bruins fans say Debrusk may even be the better player but none have actually given a reason why

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Yeah I have no idea what the case would be to say DeBrusk is better...

Bruins fans should be talking about how Mantha gets hurt a lot, not trying to pretend DeBrusk is better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad