Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] David Backes (5 years, $6.000M AAV)

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Sorry but spending three first round draft picks no matter where they are on three players that could not pass a conditioning test is not only horrible asset management but horrible scouting.

No one failed the physical, they ran a there and back test in the rain a few slipped losing time by one second. Bruins have the hardest in team testing of any. Besides didn't someone draft a guy who could not do a pull up. Who cares about July 2015 ran timed run effects on a hockey career that has not hit the NHL. You know they are crap because the Canadian brain washing media made sure you know:naughty:.

Yeah Senyshyn is horrible and his 46 goals in his 2nd year on a bad team pretty good for a guy 80 lbs overweight lol. Debrusk was probably the best player on his team in the memorial cup for a guy who uses an inhaler on the ice during the game. Zboril was told to play a purely defensive roll this year, weird his stats went down, mainly because he has one leg, lol.

Zboril was actually taken exactly where he was projected. Senyshyn was going in the 1st round, Debrusk was a gamble but they needed wingers who could score and drive to the net and not smallish injury prone centers they passed on.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Heres what your GM said :

“Really it’s about going forward for each and every one of them. Some guys will return to their junior teams with the expectation next year that they have to pass. We expect them to pass," he said. "They’ll have to do some work as a result of it. But it’s still an educational process as far as their personal growth.â€

I guess you didn't know that they will impact your prospects future

Stop trying to be snide.

My usernsme: nbwingsfan ... Sweeney is not "my" GM.

Of course they're expected to pass, pretending that if they don't pass it at 18 years old has any sort of impact on their NHL future is hilarious.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Of course they're expected to pass, pretending that if they don't pass it at 18 years old has any sort of impact on their NHL future is hilarious.

Show me where not making time running a dash in the rain translates to hockey success or failure?

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Show me where not making time running a dash in the rain translates to hockey success or failure?

Basically they should have traded them right then and there as they were totally useless lol. Being a fan for a long time comparing this to the days of training camp meant losing the 10 to 20 that was gained in summer. Guy Lafeur smoked in between periods, ummm kessel "yeah I skated twice in summer", almost the ConnSmythe winner this year. Ok I checked the pull up guy was Sam Bennett and this his rookie year scored 18 goals. The pull up champion did he even play or score a goal?

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Once again another fan from another fan base lecturing Bruins fans on THIER F**** prospects .. When will it stop! Who gives a **** what you think!

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Once again another fan from another fan base lecturing Bruins fans on THIER F**** prospects .. When will it stop! Who gives a **** what you think!

I think there's a miscommunication here.. I'm agreeing with you guys :laugh:

I'm responding to the poster who is stating the picks are busts and Boston doesn't know what theyes are doing because they didn't pass a conditioning test at 18. Which is of course a ridiculous statement to make.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Sorry but spending three first round draft picks no matter where they are on three players that could not pass a conditioning test is not only horrible asset management but horrible scouting.

Why because you said so? Cool story bro

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Basically they should have traded them right then and there as they were totally useless lol. Being a fan for a long time comparing this to the days of training camp meant losing the 10 to 20 that was gained in summer. Guy Lafeur smoked in between periods, ummm kessel "yeah I skated twice in summer", almost the ConnSmythe winner this year. Ok I checked the pull up guy was Sam Bennett and this his rookie year scored 18 goals. The pull up champion did he even play or score a goal?

Kessel trained with Gary roberts the last summer

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Why because you said so? Cool story bro

No because they never failed the fitness test, they did not complete one part of it in the time required, but whatever makes you sleep at night. This happens to many young prospects, just never hear about it, the Bruins just wanted to add to their pressure. You need not worry about the three picks as they are not your concern really. You are like the other sheep who want to bad mouth the picks, but the Bs are happy with them and that is all that matters.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
Kessel trained with Gary roberts the last summer

Good for him he finally got serious. I didn't say it was that summer just a quote in general I heard about him that showed its not life or death. Remember the video of him riding the bike so so slow and everyone else was giving it. It was in that general vain. If he was in such great shape maybe they should have kept him afterall. Im sure Gary could have said something or been advised on how he was a changed man, kinda makes the trade worse, knowing that. As for the Pull ups last year inhouse for the Bruins Zach Trotman defeated Chara and krug, Trotman is a strong guy he did 41, Krug 40 but was released this year, go figure

Pull Ups

This was the first year that the pull-up test was included in the combine. Although being first in NHL Central Scouting's final 2014 draft rankings, the Kingston Frontenacs centre Bennett finished last in the pull-ups, he could not do any at all..

Rank Score Player
1 13 JOSHUA HO-SANG
2 12 BRETT LERNOUT
3 12 JAYCE HAWRYLUK
4 12 ALEXANDER PETERS
5 12 DAVID PASTRNAK
6 11 ANTHONY DEANGELO
7 11 CHASE DE LEO
8 11 MATHESON IACOPELLI
9 11 SONNY MILANO
10 11 FRANCIS PERRON

Pastrnak is the biggest name there to date and never heard of the majority of these guys. You can see the difference between the 18 year old winner at 13 and Trotman(25) at 41 who may end up playing in Europe some day soon.

Last edited:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
whats funny is when fans keep thinking its normal for first round picks taken outside the top 5 to 'work out'

ive personally shown the results of past drafts dozens of times here.

by the time any of these kids are on their second contract, half will be little more than career 4th liners.

if even 1 of bostons 3 picks plays a top 6/top 4 role for his career... thats roughly an average normal return from having pics 13/14/15

And of course that doesn't mean that there won't be guys found in the second and third rounds that go on to have very good careers. Just because some eighteen-year-old is rated to be in the 2nd or 3rd round doesn't mean that he won't be the best player available in the draft. Going off-the-chart to grab the best player available is actually a good thing. Sticking to the chart and realizing that 50% of the players are going to be bust is not so smart.

If you stick to the chat and you happen to get a player that turns out then you're relying on dumb luck. Just because some guy is rated as the 13th or 14th best player available by the consensus in no way guarantees that he will be able to be the best player. At best it's a 50-50 crapshoot

Of course even when you gamble and go off of the charge it still at best a 50-50 crapshoot. But at least it's a crapshoot that you have belief in.

Boston success in the draft has been good enough to win us the cup this past decade and get us to a second final. I'm sure LA and Chicago are probably in a position where they can judge us. I seriously doubt anyone else can do it without exposing themselves to ridicule. It's been a very good time to be a Boston Bruins fan. thank you

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
I didn't read through the whole head, so I'm sorry if this has been mentioned already...

But does anyone else find it kind of weird that Boston was willing to give a 32yr old Backes a 5 year deal (37yrs old at end of deal) but they were not willing to give a 30yr old Loui Eriksson the 6 year deal he wanted (36 at end of deal)?

Is it just that Boston feels Backes fits the Bruins "tough, gritty" mould better than Eriksson does? Or do they just think he's a better overall player? Personally, I'd probably take Loui for 6 years over Backes for 5. Now if the term were shorter on the Backes deal, then it'd be a tougher choice.

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston

Haha was waiting for someone who actually knew why they failed the test... but I guess it doesn't really matter what other teams fans think of the bruins prospects.

But this is a good signing and to people who think it's not don't understand the market

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Bergeron isn't going anywhere, so what's gonna happen:

- Krejci being traded?
- Backes permanently on RW?
- Backes being paid $6M to center the third line?

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
Bergeron isn't going anywhere, so what's gonna happen:

- Krejci being traded?
- Backes permanently on RW?
- Backes being paid $6M to center the third line?

If anyone is going I would think it would be Spooner + for a D man.

I do think Backes is going to spend most of his time on Bergeron's wing though.

The contract is a bit more than I like but I'll take it for the hole he immediately fills in the lineup.

Can play C, can play wing, should be a good fit for Julien's style.

Also Julien rotates the top 3 lines relatively evenly when the talent allows so even if he is 3rd line C it isn't as sheltered a role as most other teams.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland

Your logic in assessing a prospect's future based on some conditioning test at 18, wouldn't pass any test either.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Overpaid by a million isn't that big of a deal...but when you factor in term, this contract sucks.

Heading into the off-season, I expected:

3 years at 5.5
OR
5ish years at 4.5-5.

And I wouldn't want him at even the 5 year rate I expected, despite loving him as a player. He is on the decline due to the style of game he has played his entire career. I picture his point totals being something like this per 82:

Year 1: 55
Year 2: 47
Year 3: 40
Year 4: 35
Year 5: 30

Completely arbitrary prediction.

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Why are people saying that 6 mil is insane for Backes? He was a UFA. That means in order to get him you have to overpay. It's actually not bad...The Blues offered him 5.5 mil for 4 years I believe.

The Blues are paying Stastny an average of 7 mil a year, not because he's worth that, but because it's what we had to pay since he was a UFA.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Why are people saying that 6 mil is insane for Backes? He was a UFA. That means in order to get him you have to overpay. It's actually not bad...The Blues offered him 5.5 mil for 4 years I believe.

The Blues are paying Stastny an average of 7 mil a year, not because he's worth that, but because it's what we had to pay since he was a UFA.

Agreed. The easy answer is that top 6 centers get paid, a lot. There's so much demand for them that they will get the $$ and term from someone, even if they're 2nd line centers. It's just the way it is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad