Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] David Backes (5 years, $6.000M AAV)

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Agreed. The easy answer is that top 6 centers get paid, a lot. There's so much demand for them that they will get the $$ and term from someone, even if they're 2nd line centers. It's just the way it is now.

Problem being he will likely be a 3rd line center after the 3rd year.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Your logic in assessing a prospect's future based on some conditioning test at 18, wouldn't pass any test either.

I once heard Lanny McDonald say that Gary Roberts couldn't do a single chin-up without assistance as a Flames rookie.

I've heard elsewhere that Roberts did manage to learn something about personal fitness and had a rather productive career despite that.

Teenagers -- go figure, huh?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Problem being he will likely be a 3rd line center after the 3rd year.

I don't think anyone disagrees with that, but since the demand for them is so high, GMs are willing to do that. See Stastny, Kesler, Nielsen, etc.. This is also why I said that the Plekanec deal was so good by the Habs. Very rare to lock up a top 6 center to a great contract, especially that's low in term.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The main issue with Backes is his trajectory. There's evidence that he's been on the decline for the past couple of seasons, which is not surprising given his age.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
The main issue with Backes is his trajectory. There's evidence that he's been on the decline for the past couple of seasons, which is not surprising given his age.

He put up his second and third best statistical seasons in 13-14 and 14-15 and put up his best postseason this past season.

So I'm A.- Curious where this decline your talking about has been the last couple of seasons and B.- if his body were starting to break down wouldn't it show in his deepest go at the postseason?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
He put up his second and third best statistical seasons in 13-14 and 14-15 and put up his best postseason this past season.

So I'm A.- Curious where this decline your talking about has been the last couple of seasons and B.- if his body were starting to break down wouldn't it show in his deepest go at the postseason?

Backes has been a 20 goal/50 point guy for most of his career. I don't see that changing over the next few years.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

His usage was very different in the playoffs. He was on the wing and not against the top competition that he usually faces. Not that he was sheltered, he just wasn't expected to fill the Selke role.

He is losing a step or 2 in his skating and he isn't he physical beast that he used to be. He's still very physical, but not like we was.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
His usage was very different in the playoffs. He was on the wing and not against the top competition that he usually faces. Not that he was sheltered, he just wasn't expected to fill the Selke role.

He is losing a step or 2 in his skating and he isn't he physical beast that he used to be. He's still very physical, but not like we was.

I'm fine with people saying he's lost a step or isn't as physical as he used to be, I do value what Blues fans say they saw. That said when someone says there's evidence I would have to assume that would mean some sort of stat to show his decline over the last 2-4 seasons but there just isn't as that poster said a linear trajectory that depicts a steady decline.

He also was getting more offensive zone starts in the playoffs. So again his playoffs show he has plenty left in the tank post 82 games so his body doesn't seem to be breaking down and when his offensive zone starts are higher than 35% he seems to up his production.

These are two things I think people who like the signing can point to and say he's got enough left in him to be a top-6 guy through at least the first 3 years of his contract where he has a NMC.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm fine with people saying he's lost a step or isn't as physical as he used to be, I do value what Blues fans say they saw. That said when someone says there's evidence I would have to assume that would mean some sort of stat to show his decline over the last 2-4 seasons but there just isn't as that poster said a linear trajectory that depicts a steady decline.

He also was getting more offensive zone starts in the playoffs. So again his playoffs show he has plenty left in the tank post 82 games so his body doesn't seem to be breaking down and when his offensive zone starts are higher than 35% he seems to up his production.

These are two things I think people who like the signing can point to and say he's got enough left in him to be a top-6 guy through at least the first 3 years of his contract where he has a NMC.

His decline hasn't been linear, it's much more subtle. It was obvious this year when Steen and Oshie were off his line. He can't lead a line anymore. For Backes to be successful, it's about how he's used. Put him at RW with linemates that can create some offense. Backes can still finish, create havoc, and be a great possession player.

The problem is if he plays center and/or has linemates that can't create offense for others. Use him the right way, and he should be productive for 3ish years. At a certain point, he'll become an anchor on the cap, but it's just a guess at when that will be. He could potentially still score by being a net-front presence on the PP and in a sheltered role at the end of the contract.

Eddie Munson

Jul 11, 2008
His decline hasn't been linear, it's much more subtle. It was obvious this year when Steen and Oshie were off his line. He can't lead a line anymore. For Backes to be successful, it's about how he's used. Put him at RW with linemates that can create some offense. Backes can still finish, create havoc, and be a great possession player.

The problem is if he plays center and/or has linemates that can't create offense for others. Use him the right way, and he should be productive for 3ish years. At a certain point, he'll become an anchor on the cap, but it's just a guess at when that will be. He could potentially still score by being a net-front presence on the PP and in a sheltered role at the end of the contract.

Judging by the 3 year NMC being at the beginning of a contract rather than the end I think it's safe to say Boston has built a way out from under that contract if his play slips. There's always a team looking to get to the cap floor willing to take on money.

Also Backes had one of the lowest percentage of O-zone starts in the league for a forward during the regular season. His role in Boston will likely be a lot different with two other good two way centers who can shoulder the defensive responsibilities. I also see him playing more wing in Boston and taking over for Spooner at center of things get tight.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Judging by the 3 year NMC being at the beginning of a contract rather than the end I think it's safe to say Boston has built a way out from under that contract if his play slips. There's always a team looking to get to the cap floor willing to take on money.

And no one seems to be aware that these GMs don't care that much about what happens 4+ years from now. I think this was one of the riskier deals this summer, but at the moment the Bruins are getting a very good all around player that will help them. That's by far the most important thing to these teams.

So many people are too busy laughing at contracts and their length to understand exactly how this all works and why these deals are offered.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

This point in bold doesn't make sense...

He can be declining subtly in a linear manner. Agree with the rest though. :laugh:

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
You can't say he's been on a linear decline, when in 13-14 and 14-15 he had his highest and 3rd highest ppg seasons.

I think what you're trying to say is that he hasn't had a statistical decline. You can still have a consistent decline in play(linear) if it's not showing up on the score sheet.

Linear describes the rate of change in his play year over year, while subtle describes the tangible impact(or lack thereof).

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
So the Bruins trade Lucic to LA for a 1st + Colin Miller + Martin Jones

Flip Jones to SJ for their 1st.

Sign Backes for nothing but money. Backes can play center for the next couple of seasons, then transition to wing to be the big body winger Lucic was or just play wing the entire time.

So LA 1st + SJ 1st + Colin Miller + David Backes @ 5 years for 6 million/season from 32-37 years old

for

Lucic @ 7 years for 6 million/season from 28-35 years old. Seems like a coup to me

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
So the Bruins trade Lucic to LA for a 1st + Colin Miller + Martin Jones

Flip Jones to SJ for their 1st.

Sign Backes for nothing but money. Backes can play center for the next couple of seasons, then transition to wing to be the big body winger Lucic was or just play wing the entire time.

So LA 1st + SJ 1st + Colin Miller + David Backes @ 5 years for 6 million/season from 32-37 years old

for

Lucic @ 7 years for 6 million/season from 28-35 years old. Seems like a coup to me

They signed Beleskey to replace Lucic, Backes to replace Eriksson more like, I have very little faith their 29th pick wil become anything special as they made a reach for him.

My problem with this signing is that how does this make any sense for the Bruins, now they have Krejci/Bergeron/Backes all +30y and on heavy contracts while the defense is one of the worst in the league and needs rebuilding.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
They signed Beleskey to replace Lucic, Backes to replace Eriksson more like, I have very little faith their 29th pick wil become anything special as they made a reach for him.

My problem with this signing is that how does this make any sense for the Bruins, now they have Krejci/Bergeron/Backes all +30y and on heavy contracts while the defense is one of the worst in the league and needs rebuilding.

Well maybe they have a trade in the works to bring a defenseman?

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Did Backes play much RW last year? If he's willing to play some RW this deal will make more sense. As one Blues fan stated, if he's playing with a center that can create offense he can be pretty productive. Well we just so happen to have a hole at Krejci's RW.

Backes seems to be a good leader in the dressing room. Some respected B's guys on the blogosphere compared his leadership to that of Mark Recchi. He's an in your face leader, apparently. Something the team is lacking. Also, Backes is a pretty solid two way player right?

If Backes is fine playing a good chunk of time on the wing and filling in at center when needed this could work out pretty well. He adds a little more jam to the top 6. Putting wingers that can create space for Krejci works well. Beleskey does that now but is probably best served on the 3rd line. If Backes is just used as a 3rd line center I will be scratching my head especially with Spooner still around. I would love to see a Beleskey-Backes-Vatrano line at some point this season. Grind it out!

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think what you're trying to say is that he hasn't had a statistical decline. You can still have a consistent decline in play(linear) if it's not showing up on the score sheet.

Linear describes the rate of change in his play year over year, while subtle describes the tangible impact(or lack thereof).

And, he hasn't had that.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com

What does Trent Frederic have to do with this thread?

The Bruins have the cap space to sign Backes AND bring in D help.

The Bruins needed to replace Eriksson and bring some real leadership back into the locker room. Spooner is not reliable enough to take defensive zone draws - Backes makes a lot of sense to me.

As for the D, the Bruins can still add a player by trade. They went after Shattenkirk, but the price was way too high - unless you think the Bruins should have traded Pastrnak away. Trouba and Fowler are still out there. Sweeney and Gordon have gone on record saying they want to see if one of the young D can make a case for the big club. The Bruins have Carlo, Lauzon, Zboril, McAvoy, Lindgren...and several other prospects who look to make a push.

So...it's July 11th today. Development camp starts tomorrow. And the Bruins have 8 million in cap space. Stay tuned.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Did Backes play much RW last year? If he's willing to play some RW this deal will make more sense. As one Blues fan stated, if he's playing with a center that can create offense he can be pretty productive. Well we just so happen to have a hole at Krejci's RW.

Backes seems to be a good leader in the dressing room. Some respected B's guys on the blogosphere compared his leadership to that of Mark Recchi. He's an in your face leader, apparently. Something the team is lacking. Also, Backes is a pretty solid two way player right?

If Backes is fine playing a good chunk of time on the wing and filling in at center when needed this could work out pretty well. He adds a little more jam to the top 6. Putting wingers that can create space for Krejci works well. Beleskey does that now but is probably best served on the 3rd line. If Backes is just used as a 3rd line center I will be scratching my head especially with Spooner still around. I would love to see a Beleskey-Backes-Vatrano line at some point this season. Grind it out!

For the 2nd half and playoffs he was a RW.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
How is it not obvious that Backes has been brought in as an RW?
Bruins just lost Eriksson, and decided to not qualify Connoly. And they still have Spooner.
Of course Backes will play RW, the spot previously played by Iginla and Horton.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Scoring has been flat, but his shot metrics have dropped in the past couple of years.

2012/13 - 2013/14: RelCF% = +2.4
2014/15 - 2015/16: RelCF% = -1.6

There's pretty good evidence that shot metrics are associated with goal differentials in the longer term.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
How is it not obvious that Backes has been brought in as an RW?
Bruins just lost Eriksson, and decided to not qualify Connoly. And they still have Spooner.
Of course Backes will play RW, the spot previously played by Iginla and Horton.

Its the even more obvious fact that Backes said he was brought in to play center.

I think the more interesting scenario would be to re sign Spooner and trade Krejci for a D man. A healthy D. Krejci can get a top pairing d man in return. Bergy/Backes/Spooner is still good depth wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00