Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] David Backes (5 years, $6.000M AAV)

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
This is one of the worst signings in my opinion, Boston should just re-sign Eriksson, he's worth his contract more than Backes.

I mean, is Backes really going to play 3rd line C for 6M? He's likely moving to wing, right? If they trade Krejci for Shattenkirk or whatever, then it makes sense, he would be 2nd line C.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
At least Bruins fans seems to be happy. They have belittled Eriksson from the get go.
Soft, complementary player, not a Bruins player, weakest 30 goal scorer there is.
I could go on forever as Bruins fans never ever appreciated Loui.

Backes with his 20 less pts is exactly what the Bruins want. He fights, he brings grit, leadership and all that and it is worth less production. So they are happy.....

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Backes is a heck of a player but seems like if the Bruins have 6 million a year to spend they should use it on a defenseman not another centre.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
At least Bruins fans seems to be happy. They have belittled Eriksson from the get go.
Soft, complementary player, not a Bruins player, weakest 30 goal scorer there is.

Backes with his 20 less pts is exactly what the Bruins want. He fights, he brings grit, leadership and all that and it is worth less production. So they are happy.....

The Bruins are one of the few franchises in the NHL that think style is more important than winning games. The fans tend to agree. They want a tough, gritty team, even if it means missing the playoffs every year.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA

Not all of us. Choosing Backes over Eriksson is yet another poor management decision made by Sweeney.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
You would think that a team with Patrice Bergeron would see that you don't need to be a physical monster to be a good hockey player. Bergeron is as tough as they come, but he's not physical.

This is a contract you either buy out in three years or attach a 2nd/decent prospect to and send to a cap floor team.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Backes is a heck of a player but seems like if the Bruins have 6 million a year to spend they should use it on a defenseman not another centre.

$8.5m still left in the pot

I'll take Backes over Eriksson any day of the week. The Bruins lost a lot of character in the past couple of years (Thornton, Boychuk, Lucic) and they desperately needed some of it back.

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener
The Bruins are one of the few franchises in the NHL that think style is more important than winning games. The fans tend to agree. They want a tough, gritty team, even if it means missing the playoffs every year.

Missing the playoffs every year? Lol

Hardly and they missed by 1 point.

4uston M4tthews

Nov 15, 2010
As a leafs fan I hate this deal.. This jackass gooning on our stars for 5 years... yuck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kitchener Boy

Apr 9, 2012
Kitchener

No Bruins fans appreciated Loui but you seem to forget he really only had 1 strong year there. His contract year.

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca
Some of you are forgetting that Loui is the one that has to actually sign. "Should have just kept Loui". Maybe Loui didn't want to be "kept". Nah. I'm sure all of the UFA's were waiting on the Bruins to make their choice. :sarcasm:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The Bruins are one of the few franchises in the NHL that think style is more important than winning games. The fans tend to agree. They want a tough, gritty team, even if it means missing the playoffs every year.QUOTE]

Look at the past 10 years or so of Bruins performance, educate yourself.

As a leafs fan I hate this deal.. This jackass gooning on our stars for 5 years... yuck.

You ought to be worried first and foremost about ceasing to be a bottom dweller.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA

That is it exactly! We love missing the playoffs!!!

(The actual reality is the defense is why this team misses the playoffs, but carry on).

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think I'm probably going to be one of the only people that like this deal. Backes has been one of my favorite non cbj players along with Ryan Kesler for a very very long time. While he might be a million overpaid he's just getting what the market was already set at. He's to go if of a player and cares to much to fall off a cliff. Especially since he plays bruins style hockey which is close to the line. He will be right there on the line while a few of his teamates will sprint past it haha. I'm not a fan of the B's but I am a fan of Krug and Backes so good like this year.

That's because you think like a NHL exec/coach/team mate and not in the abstract like a lot of fans do (hemming and hawing over one year here, $500k there). Players like Backes are what you need to be successful-in particular against the other teams top players and in the playoffs. He plays with an edge but is skilled enough to not be out of place on one of the top two lines. Will he slow down as he reaches his mid 30s? Sure, most players do. He'll be a difference maker for most of his contract though. Great addition to the Bruins.

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
That is it exactly! We love missing the playoffs!!!

(The actual reality is the defense is why this team misses the playoffs, but carry on).

You think I'm wrong? You know the Bruins fanbase well. Ask yourself, would the fans you know be completely happy with a team that played like the sissy Habs do, diving and dishonest, if it meant they had good playoff runs every year? They wouldn't. Bruins hockey is more important than winning.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
That's a lot of money for a 3rd line center (Bergeron-Krejci-Backes)

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
That's a lot of money for a 3rd line center (Bergeron-Krejci-Backes)

Well the Pens paid Kessell 8m to play their third line wing, that worked out well. Having Backes take time from Bergy and Krejci is a good thing, especially in tight games, he will help ease that burden which was a problem last couple of years.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH

Loui scored 30 once in a Bruins uniform. The other 2 seasons were underwhelming. Yes he had injury issues but even when he was healthy, he wasn't a good fit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad