Confirmed Signing with Link: [BOS] David Backes (5 years, $6.000M AAV)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Well the Pens paid Kessell 8m to play their third line wing, that worked out well. Having Backes take time from Bergy and Krejci is a good thing, especially in tight games, he will help ease that burden which was a problem last couple of years.

Yeah that does make a lot of sense. The biggest issue is the length. Boston is at least 2 years from contending again. At that point, Backes will have even more wear and tear on him. It's unlikely they will be happy with the contract at that point.

CheerstoBeers

Jan 28, 2008
You think I'm wrong? You know the Bruins fanbase well. Ask yourself, would the fans you know be completely happy with a team that played like the sissy Habs do, diving and dishonest, if it meant they had good playoff runs every year? They wouldn't. Bruins hockey is more important than winning.

Bruins hockey is what won them a cup in 2011 and brought them to the verge of another not long after. Bruins have been one of the more dominant teams in the league in the not so distant past playing their style.

I love the Backes signing. Guy is a leader on and off the ice, plays a hard nosed game and has been consistently one of the best defensive forwards in the game year after year. That part his game seems to be very underrated here. If this helps bring the bruins back to playing their style which has brought them so much success I'll be very happy

NewJackEdwards

Jun 8, 2010
CT
Bruins hockey is what won them a cup in 2011 and brought them to the verge of another not long after. Bruins have been one of the more dominant teams in the league in the not so distant past playing their style.

I love the Backes signing. Guy is a leader on and off the ice, plays a hard nosed game and has been consistently one of the best defensive forwards in the game year after year. That part his game seems to be very underrated here. If this helps bring the bruins back to playing their style which has brought them so much success I'll be very happy

There isn't going to much success with that D corps.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
The Bruins are one of the few franchises in the NHL that think style is more important than winning games. The fans tend to agree. They want a tough, gritty team, even if it means missing the playoffs every year.

What else would you expect with Cam Neely running the team?

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
This is what i love about Lou Lams...he said yesterday that just because other teams were handing out overpayments, it wouldn't influence what the Leafs will do.

Yeah, easy to say when you get high picks, including lastly the 1st OA. If you get handed top players, needing UFAs all of a sudden isn't much of a priority.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think that will probably be Backes destination, tbh...

Either way hes ready to do whatever it takes.

“We’ve talked mostly about me being a center iceman through the process,†said Backes. “I was asking questions and I didn’t want to pull myself out of being a part of the Bruins, but I said, ‘You’ve got Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci, who are top-tiered center icemen, and they’re both right-handed. And you’re going to bring me in as another right-handed centerman. So your top three centermen are all going to be right-handed. How’s that work?’ That wasn’t a thought that they didn’t have, but they know they have guys who can take (faceoffs) on both sides with Bergy and his ability to dominate them on both sides. I can take them on both sides and so can Krejci. That was really my, ‘Hey, how is this really going to work?’ And they also said ‘Hey, we were able to see you played wing at the end of the season and in the playoffs and had a lot of success there, so we may have an opportunity, depending on how some of the younger guys are playing, then maybe a younger guy like (Ryan) Spooner can play third-line center and I move up to right side with (Brad) Marchand and Bergeron, that gives us a heavy, responsible line that can put a lot of pucks in the net. We have a lot of options on this team. If you want to call me third line, I completely respect that. Those other guys are awesome, but I’ve got to imagine we’re going to share a lot of responsibility and not leaving one guy with all the hard ice and heavy lifting.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins/2016/07/newest_bruin_david_backes_looks_like_perfect_fit

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Either way hes ready to do whatever it takes.

“We’ve talked mostly about me being a center iceman through the process,†said Backes. “I was asking questions and I didn’t want to pull myself out of being a part of the Bruins, but I said, ‘You’ve got Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci, who are top-tiered center icemen, and they’re both right-handed. And you’re going to bring me in as another right-handed centerman. So your top three centermen are all going to be right-handed. How’s that work?’ That wasn’t a thought that they didn’t have, but they know they have guys who can take (faceoffs) on both sides with Bergy and his ability to dominate them on both sides. I can take them on both sides and so can Krejci. That was really my, ‘Hey, how is this really going to work?’ And they also said ‘Hey, we were able to see you played wing at the end of the season and in the playoffs and had a lot of success there, so we may have an opportunity, depending on how some of the younger guys are playing, then maybe a younger guy like (Ryan) Spooner can play third-line center and I move up to right side with (Brad) Marchand and Bergeron, that gives us a heavy, responsible line that can put a lot of pucks in the net. We have a lot of options on this team. If you want to call me third line, I completely respect that. Those other guys are awesome, but I’ve got to imagine we’re going to share a lot of responsibility and not leaving one guy with all the hard ice and heavy lifting.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bruins/2016/07/newest_bruin_david_backes_looks_like_perfect_fit

I like Backes attitude and I think he will be a great fit on the wing of either Bergeron or Krejci. :handclap:

syc

Aug 25, 2003
Not Europe
Visit site
Yeah, easy to say when you get high picks, including lastly the 1st OA. If you get handed top players, needing UFAs all of a sudden isn't much of a priority.

LOL remind us all where this kid Seguin was drafted? Didnt the Bruins also have three first round picks last year too?

Seem like Bruins were handed players but dropped the ball every chance they got.

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
LOL remind us all where this kid Seguin was drafted? Didnt the Bruins also have three first round picks last year too?

Seem like Bruins were handed players but dropped the ball every chance they got.

#13, 14, 15 in terms of immediate impact on a team =/= the 1st OA. Unless you are new at this hockey thing, you should know that.

When we had Seguin, we indeed didn't need to go hiring any high profile UFA. Just like Toronto, after being the worst team in the league and therefore being gifted the best young player in the world, doesn't need to go hiring UFAs. You just made my point, thank you.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
#13, 14, 15 in terms of immediate impact on a team =/= the 1st OA. Unless you are new at this hockey thing, you should know that.

When we had Seguin, we indeed didn't need to go hiring any high profile UFA. Just like Toronto, after being the worst team in the league and therefore being gifted the best young player in the world, doesn't need to go hiring UFAs. You just made my point, thank you.
Sorry but spending three first round draft picks no matter where they are on three players that could not pass a conditioning test is not only horrible asset management but horrible scouting.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Sorry but spending three first round draft picks no matter where they are on three players that could not pass a conditioning test is not only horrible asset management but horrible scouting.

Bennett couldn't do more than one pull-up. He's a pretty good player.

Conditioning tests have absolutely 0 impact on future NHL careers. Are you just posting to make noise or do you have any kind of point you're trying to make?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Bennett couldn't do more than one pull-up. He's a pretty good player.

Conditioning tests have absolutely 0 impact on future NHL careers. Are you just posting to make noise or do you have any kind of point you're trying to make?

Heres what your GM said :

“Really it’s about going forward for each and every one of them. Some guys will return to their junior teams with the expectation next year that they have to pass. We expect them to pass," he said. "They’ll have to do some work as a result of it. But it’s still an educational process as far as their personal growth.â€

I guess you didn't know that they will impact your prospects future

Stop trying to be snide.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Eastern Conference is getting quicker and the Bruins are getting slower. Hard to believe so many Boston fans have no faith in Don Sweeney as GM.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad