Confirmed Trade: [BOS/ANA] Ondrej Kase for David Backes (25% retained), Axel Andersson, and 2020 1st round pick

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Well, I'm going to have to apologize to Bruins fans and eat crow here.

I made a proposal about 2 weeks back which was essentially two deals in one; one of which was Backes and Boston's 1st to San Jose in exchange for future considerations. This seemed pretty reasonable based on the precedent that I thought Kyle Dubas had set when he paid a 1st to get rid of Patrick Marleau's 6.25M salary last summer. Backes and Marleau are marginally different, but I think they're similar enough that they should have been worth a similar amount.

Then Don Sweeney goes and trades Backes and a 1st round pick, and gets Ondrej f*cking Kase in return. Unreal.

I have now officially learned a lesson that I should have learned when Mikko Rantanen signed for ~$1.5M less than Mitch Marner on the same term. Any deal made by Kyle Dubas does not set a precedent that will be used around the league.

Care to revise your analysis a bit, now that we know that the trade is:

1) 1st rounder to unload Backes (25% retention)
2) Kase for the Handsomest man in Sweden (2nd rd pick)

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Can someone tell me if Boston keeps the Cap hit? Or they just have to pay cash money?
Both I think. The cap hit stays for the year(Kessel retention). If backes had any signing bonuses that need to be paid they will be paid by the ducks though since usually those happen around July 1st

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Care to revise your analysis a bit, now that we know that the trade is:

1) 1st rounder to unload Backes (25% retention)
2) Kase for the Handsomest man in Sweden (2nd rd pick)

Literally just edited the post to mention the 25% thing and the Axel Andersson part. Definitely doesn't look as bad but still either makes Sweeney look great or Dubas look bad depending on how you look at it.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Yeah, if Kase didn't have his injury history this is a steal, but the ducks got decent value.

With their lack of scoring, there would just be no reason to move him otherwise. No young forward in the Ducks system has yet to show they can drive a line like Kase can when heathy.
It's really too bad but I get it. Smaller market team, already too many issues with injured players on the books, just couldn't see them extending him long term after next year.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
To be honest, I wanted him on the Avs.

So, Bruins fans, do you think Sweeney will still go after Kreider? Or is this a sign that the price became too much?

Honestly, at this point I think Rangers will have been asking for so much that they may be stuck with Kreider.

If this trade (Kase for Backes and 1st) comes to reality, I don't see how Boston can put their hand on Kreider without overpaying.

Our 1st pick is looking to be low, like 25ish range (and I hope even 31st :D) so I don't mind giving up, but after that it's going to be hard to not overpay.

Ronnie Residue

Burns is daddy.
Feb 15, 2015
On, Canada
axel-andersson-2020-32.jpg
He’d make an attractive chick

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Seems like a good trade from Boston's POV I feel like. Grab some more scoring depth and dump 75% of Backes for 2 years

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Well, I'm going to have to apologize to Bruins fans and eat crow here.

I made a proposal about 2 weeks back which was essentially two deals in one; one of which was Backes and Boston's 1st to San Jose in exchange for future considerations. This seemed pretty reasonable based on the precedent that I thought Kyle Dubas had set when he paid a 1st to get rid of Patrick Marleau's 6.25M salary last summer. Backes and Marleau are marginally different, but I think they're similar enough that they should have been worth a similar amount.

Then Don Sweeney goes and trades Backes and a 1st round pick, and gets Ondrej f*cking Kase in return. Unreal.

I have now officially learned a lesson that I should have learned when Mikko Rantanen signed for ~$1.5M less than Mitch Marner on the same term. Any deal made by Kyle Dubas does not set a precedent that will be used around the league.
The situations are clearly different. The team taking Marleau had to buy him out and would get zero cap relief for it. Toronto also had to do it for cap reasons and on a limited time scale.

Boston didn’t have to trade Backes now, they could have waited until after the season. They could have kept him and made other moves. Backes will be available to play for the Ducks and if they decide they don’t want him they can buy him out for some cap relief.

There are plenty of reasons to be critical of the job Dubas has done and the roster he has built. But these aren’t completely similar situations.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Good trade for Boston.

Do Bruins fans think they're done now or do they swing another trade considering they freed up cap space this season and next?
I think they'll still be active, it's just a matter of limited resources now. Assuming Studnicka is off limits, their attractive pieces now are limited to:

Vaakanainen
Beecher
2nd round 2020
3rd round 2020
1st round 2021
2nd round 2021
3rd round 2021

I think they could still package Heinen or maybe Bjork with some combination of those pieces for a Palmieri or something.

Reactions: wintersej

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Kase is not that good. He's fine but nothing special.

People always seem to overrate players as soon as they're traded.

I sure as hell wouldn't trade a first round pick for him.

Kase also has injury concerns this is one of the reasons the Ducks had to make this move. Andersson’s potential looks really good and what they need moving forward. I like this trade especially with the salary retained. Didn’t take on the entire salary.

Reactions: Tuggy

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The situations are clearly different. The team taking Marleau had to buy him out and would get zero cap relief for it. Toronto also had to do it for cap reasons and on a limited time scale.

Boston didn’t have to trade Backes now, they could have waited until after the season. They could have kept him and made other moves. Backes will be available to play for the Ducks and if they decide they don’t want him they can buy him out for some cap relief.

There are plenty of reasons to be critical of the job Dubas has done and the roster he has built. But these aren’t completely similar situations.

They aren't completely similar, but they're very close, and quite frankly, I think the biggest difference here is Kase. He's a polarizing player, but as somebody who has seen a ton of him in the Pacific Division and is heavy into analytics, I would have made this trade from Boston's perspective even if Backes weren't involved. Dead serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad