Confirmed Trade: [BOS/ANA] Ondrej Kase for David Backes (25% retained), Axel Andersson, and 2020 1st round pick

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Well, I'm going to have to apologize to Bruins fans and eat crow here.

I made a proposal about 2 weeks back which was essentially two deals in one; one of which was Backes and Boston's 1st to San Jose in exchange for future considerations. This seemed pretty reasonable based on the precedent that I thought Kyle Dubas had set when he paid a 1st to get rid of Patrick Marleau's 6.25M salary last summer. Backes and Marleau are marginally different, but I think they're similar enough that they should have been worth a similar amount.

Then Don Sweeney goes and trades Backes and a 1st round pick, and gets Ondrej f***ing Kase in return. Unreal.

I have now officially learned a lesson that I should have learned when Mikko Rantanen signed for ~$1.5M less than Mitch Marner on the same term. Any deal made by Kyle Dubas does not set a precedent that will be used around the league.

EDIT: Things look a bit different with the news that Boston retained 25% of Backes' salary and tossed in Axel Andersson, but I stand by the point I made.

Last edited:

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Is Axel Andersson even good? Dont know anything about him. On the surface this looks like a win for Boston based on the Marleau deal in the summer.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Is Axel Andersson even good? Dont know anything about him. On the surface this looks like a win for Boston based on the Marleau deal in the summer.

Axel Andersson is a Swedish defenseman currently playing in the Q. Has a good amount of offensive upside. Definitely has potential.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Still seems like a pretty good trade for Boston if that's all it is.
I think its actually a decent deal for both sides.
Backes and his caphit this season does not matter all that much to Anaheim (aside from the cash value maybe) and Boston is not in as desperate of a situation right now as Dubas was back with Marleau. Kase is also nice but has his injury issues and on his own would probably never have gotten them close to a 1st.

So if you consider these things and that Anaheim probably won't do much next year anyways (which this move signals a bit to me), it looks decent for both sides. Maybe a bit better for the Bruins but not by much.

Reactions: DRAGO 18

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
On face value, huge win for Boston freeing up a ton of space and gaining an asset.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Lol.

I told everyone here that it would not cost a 1st to move Backes and unless Kase was available for a good but not great 2nd round prospect looks like I was right.

edit that said AA pretty dang good in preseason the year before playing first pair with Chara. Was one of the 3 stars of that game. Wouldn’t e surprised if he develops into a very good dman.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad