Blue Jays Discussion: Borucki finally struggled a bit. But it's probably not time to panic yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Diaz is a good prospect but I don't value corner OF's quite as much as other positions.
May is interesting pitching prospect with middle of the rotation potential.
Errol Robinson is rather meh 23year old AA player. I doubt he turns into anything.

Okay but not great return. They failed to get a TOR arm or a high upside middle of the diamond prospect so I don't see how you can view it as anything better than okay.

Tacos: Is Diaz a good get for Baltimore?
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
12:44Kiley McDaniel: Seems like about what they should’ve hoped for: a near-ready, fringe top 100 hitter with a solid 2nd piece (45 FV I’d guess) and a lottery ticket 3rd piece (40 FV with upside). There has been higher prices paid for rentals, but not amazingly higher.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Would you consider throwing a boatload of cash for a guy like Machado or Harper in the offseason given how young they are? A free agent splash to help supplement the new core.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Would you consider throwing a boatload of cash for a guy like Machado or Harper in the offseason given how young they are? A free agent splash to help supplement the new core.
Machado and Harper will have no interest signing in Toronto. Even if the team was a World Series contender I wouldn't expect Toronto to be one of the desired locations unless they blew them away financially.

Donaldson and Happ are much more likely considering they have ties to the city and won't be seeking 250-300 million. I'd be quite happy to bring back a similar team we started this season with but with a few of the young prospects mixed in.

New core will be supplemented with smart trades/signings and proper player development. Keep those long term contracts reserved for Vlad, Bo, and others deemed worthy of being long term pieces.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Machado and Harper will have no interest signing in Toronto. Even if the team was a World Series contender I wouldn't expect Toronto to be one of the desired locations unless they blew them away financially.

Donaldson and Happ are much more likely considering they have ties to the city and won't be seeking 250-300 million. I'd be quite happy to bring back a similar team we started this season with but with a few of the young prospects mixed in.

New core will be supplemented with smart trades/signings and proper player development. Keep those long term contracts reserved for Vlad, Bo, and others deemed worthy of being long term pieces.
True but Zach Greinke signed in Arizona, Cano signed with the Mariner's, Pujols with the Angels shows that stars will sign in other places provided the money is there. With the Jays having most of their big money contracts coming off the books in the next few years and being largely made of of their farm system, internal options, imo they could afford to offer a big time contract to a young star that would only be 26 when they reach free agency. If you give Machado or Harper an 8 year deal, that takes him to 34 which isn't bad at all,

And signing one of those guys isn't going to stop you from having to resign Vladdy or Bo 7-8 years down the line

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009

If donaldson looked at the jays and went "im struggling and injured, sign me to a reasonable 3-4 year deal" i'd be all over it.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Why is Toronto not a desired location?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
If donaldson looked at the jays and went "im struggling and injured, sign me to a reasonable 3-4 year deal" i'd be all over it.

Me:

Qf3x4p.gif

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I don't know that I'd even consider 4 years for JD. Three is a stretch for me at this point.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Deal is done. Machado to the Dodgers

Diaz
Kremer
Pop
Bannon
Valera

Not too bad

Last edited:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Wonder if Happ would make a comeback in the off-season, presuming the high likelihood event that he gets dealt?

Pretty nice projected rotation if so.

So much has gone wrong in a half-season.

Looking forward to whatever deals can be made before the deadlines, and hoping some guys can rebound to lend more confidence leading into next year.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Wonder if Happ would make a comeback in the off-season, presuming the high likelihood event that he gets dealt?

Pretty nice projected rotation if so.

So much has gone wrong in a half-season.

Looking forward to whatever deals can be made before the deadlines, and hoping some guys can rebound to lend more confidence leading into next year.
I think there’s at least a 50/50 chance Happ comes back in the off season. This is his last chance to chase the World Series though and we aren’t the right place in the next couple years for him to do it

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Also in the aftermath of the Machado sweepstakes, the Brewers are left looking to acquire an infield upgrade. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that they’re expected to explore trading for Twins second baseman Brian Dozier. With Minnesota all but out of the the AL Central race already and Dozier set to become a free agent at season’s end, he makes plenty of sense as a potential trade target for the Brewers, despite a down season so far. The Brewers are also expected to explore pitching upgrades, Rosenthal adds.

Solarte + Marco for Phillips, Torres-Costa, Supak

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Solarte + Marco for Phillips, Torres-Costa, Supak

Estrada makes a lot of sense for Milwaukee, but I still think that's where Happ ends up. They've been all about the win-now moves the last year or so, so I think they're more likely to target the best pitcher available rather than settling for someone in the next tier.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I think there’s at least a 50/50 chance Happ comes back in the off season. This is his last chance to chase the World Series though and we aren’t the right place in the next couple years for him to do it

I know it's not the same because he was just breaking into the league and didn't make any appearances in the postseason, but Happ does have a ring.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I know it's not the same because he was just breaking into the league and didn't make any appearances in the postseason, but Happ does have a ring.
That does make a difference though. Forgot he got one already. With two small kids he may just want to stay settled for as long as he continues to pitch

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Can see J.A. re-signing as well. Marco too, to be honest.

I can see either, but I think both is unlikely. Stroman and Sanchez, obviously, then Borucki is lining up nicely for a rotation spot to open the season. I think a lot of it rests on what Reid-Foley does in his call-up (assuming it happens shortly after the deadline). If he does well, then you let him and Gaviglio battle for a spot between now and April with the loser starting the year in Buffalo.

Of course, this is just personal preference based on wanting to see the young guys get the rotation spots. Hell, it would be great to open the season with a Stroman/Sanchez/Happ/Borucki/Estrada rotation, Gaviglio as a long-man, Biagini into a more high-leverage spot, and Reid-Foley biding his time in Buffalo.

I don't know why I just wrote all that out since so much is likely to change between now and then... but there it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
I can either, but I think both is unlikely. Stroman and Sanchez, obviously, then Borucki is lining up nicely for a rotation spot to open the season. I think a lot of it rests on what Reid-Foley does in his call-up (assuming it happens shortly after the deadline). If he does well, then you let him and Gaviglio battle for a spot between now and April with the loser starting the year in Buffalo.

Of course, this is just personal preference based on wanting to see the young guys get the rotation spots. Hell, it would be great to open the season with a Stroman/Sanchez/Happ/Borucki/Estrada rotation, Gaviglio as a long-man, Biagini into a more high-leverage spot, and Reid-Foley biding his time in Buffalo.

I don't know why I just wrote all that out since so much is likely to change between now and then... but there it is.

Yeah, I moreso meant one or the other. I think we'll see Borucki-SRF both up for the full year 2019. It would be nice if you could have a health Sanchez-Stroman-Borucki-SRF (whoever), but Aaron just has too many issues with that damn finger.

Reactions: Discoverer

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

while the 33-35yr old happ contract was a nice surprise, not sure we should be eager to sign up for the 36+yr old happ, especially since the price is probably higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->