Blue Jays Discussion: Borucki finally struggled a bit. But it's probably not time to panic yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
What a trade by Preller. Wonder if we can get some good value for our relievers - Tepera might garner interest.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
The Blue Jays top 10 mid season prospects by BA just came out today.
1. Vlad Guerrero Jr
2. Bo Bichette
3. Nate Pearson
4. Danny Jansen
5. Lourdes Gurriel Jr
6. Kevin Smith
7. Anthony Alford
8. Eric Pardinho
9. Jordan Groshans
10. Cavan Biggio

They also have Sean Reid Foley, Leonardo Jimenez, and Miguel Hiraldo as rising, and Anthony Alford, Logan Warmoth and Richard Urena as falling.

Guerrero and Bichette at 1 and 2 is obvious. I still say Danny Jansen should be a top 50 prospect, but at least he's on the top 100. For me, Lourdes Gurriel Jr is the odd one's out in this list, I see him at least a tier below the rest of these players. I get it's more to do with other players jumping over Pardinho, but I still find it funny that after his amazing start to his career in Bluefield, he's somehow dropped two spots from where he was at the beginning of the year. For the most part I think it's a good list, really the only glaring thing I would definitely change is replacing Gurriel Jr with SRF. I really don't see how a pitcher with mid rotation potential who's preforming great in AAA would not make the top 10.

In other news, guess which prospect analyst said that Fernando Tatis Jr is now better then Vlad Guerrero Jr :laugh:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Nah he's a real good catcher. Cleveland was just trying to fill lineup holes with Gomes already holding down the starting spot.

his only plus defensively seems to be his arm. anything good said about his receiving is generally limited to "he's improving" or something like that.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The Blue Jays top 10 mid season prospects by BA just came out today.
1. Vlad Guerrero Jr
2. Bo Bichette
3. Nate Pearson
4. Danny Jansen
5. Lourdes Gurriel Jr
6. Kevin Smith
7. Anthony Alford
8. Eric Pardinho
9. Jordan Groshans
10. Cavan Biggio

They also have Sean Reid Foley, Leonardo Jimenez, and Miguel Hiraldo as rising, and Anthony Alford, Logan Warmoth and Richard Urena as falling.

Guerrero and Bichette at 1 and 2 is obvious. I still say Danny Jansen should be a top 50 prospect, but at least he's on the top 100. For me, Lourdes Gurriel Jr is the odd one's out in this list, I see him at least a tier below the rest of these players. I get it's more to do with other players jumping over Pardinho, but I still find it funny that after his amazing start to his career in Bluefield, he's somehow dropped two spots from where he was at the beginning of the year. For the most part I think it's a good list, really the only glaring thing I would definitely change is replacing Gurriel Jr with SRF. I really don't see how a pitcher with mid rotation potential who's preforming great in AAA would not make the top 10.

In other news, guess which prospect analyst said that Fernando Tatis Jr is now better then Vlad Guerrero Jr :laugh:

the SRF thing is a bit weird now - heading into last year he was a borderline top-50 prospect by all rankers, based only on performing in single A. And now, even though he's performing as well or better in AAA, just a year later, they still won't stop punishing him for his one bad year.

I agree with you 100% - a simple swap in of SRF for Gurriel and this top-10 would be pretty much unarguable, aside from some jockeying of 1 or 2 slots.....and maybe an argument over another prospect slotting into the #10 spot.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
From like 10 mins ago:

A big dumb idiot
I know you were high on Sean Reid-Foley for a while, and the superficial stats are starting to look pretty good in Buffalo. Have you heard anything about his recent performance?

Keith Law
I saw him this year. Think he's probably a RP in the end.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Which is basically Jansen, but with a plus plus arm.

Wasn't Jansen good at everything defensively except his footwork and movement out of the crouch? He was still improving things like his framing and arm strength and stuff like that, but the only thing that really needed work defensively was getting out of the crouch more efficiently.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Wasn't Jansen good at everything defensively except his footwork and movement out of the crouch? He was still improving things like his framing and arm strength and stuff like that, but the only thing that really needed work defensively was getting out of the crouch more efficiently.

Jansen can't hold runners and is still green in his game calling. Dude's a stud offensively but his defence leaves a lot to be desired.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Wait... Law actually has Tatis ahead of Vlad? Tatis is a great prospect, but he's not in the same tier as Vlad let alone ahead of him.

Yes, SS is a far more valuable position, especially if you think Vlad is a 1B/DH (which is perfectly reasonable). But no, that doesn't close the gap between a 125 wRC+ and a 28% K-rate and a 205 wRC+ at the same age and level.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

unfortunately "improving" is a word that scouts use when they can't say "good".

that being said, Jansen has drawn some legit praise for his blocking and game-calling, so most think he can stick as a C.

with mejia, I've never read anything about his defense praised other than his arm.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Wait... Law actually has Tatis ahead of Vlad? Tatis is a great prospect, but he's not in the same tier as Vlad let alone ahead of him.

Yes, SS is a far more valuable position, especially if you think Vlad is a 1B/DH (which is perfectly reasonable). But no, that doesn't close the gap between a 125 wRC+ and a 28% K-rate and a 205 wRC+ at the same age and level.

If Tatis is a SS, I'm a monkey's uncle.

Also,
2018 Trade Value: #11 to #20 | FanGraphs Baseball

Vlad Jr. #18.

Last edited:

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
yep Keith, a four-pitch reliever dominating as an AAA starter at age 22.

When did SRF become a "four pitch" pitcher? Seems to me when he's "on", its still a fastball/slider package and its just an outing when he's commanding the fastball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->