News Article: Borje Salming to call Nylander today and to persuade him to sign

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I'm aware that was the case when they were kids, but if he's still controlling their lives now when they're grown up and in their 20's, that's a bit weird. Do you have a source saying that's still the case?
Most NHL parents are heavily involved in their kids careers. Especially when it comes to the financial aspects. Keep in mind these are kids who usually would just be graduating university but are now in a position to make 6 to 7 million dollars. The parents are heavily involved to make sure their kids don't get ripped off or mismanaged. You'd be surprised at how many NHLer have the financial aspects of their careers heavily managed by their parents. The Jack Johnson type arrangement isn't completely uncommon, outside of the fact the Johnson's completely abused their kid's trust.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Michael runs the show in that household. If you don't think he's heavily involved in this stuff your kidding yourself.
It's a useless PR exercise.

It would be better if Salming said nothing publicly but had a private chat with Michael, not William.

If Salming says sign, and Michael says dig in, what does William do? I don't think a power struggle helps.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Nice sentiment but Salming isnt the GM, he should be staying out of it and the Toronto front office should be telling him that as well.
But if it’s benefitting the Toronto maple leafs why does it matter. It isn’t a big issue when the older generation is helping the younger generation. Plus I don’t even think they would be talking about money. Probably gonna explain to him that being greedy for a few hundred thousand dollars more could really change his life. Like getting traded to a shit team.

Reactions: hockeyes

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Most NHL parents are heavily involved in their kids careers. Especially when it comes to the financial aspects. Keep in mind these are kids who usually would just be graduating university but are now in a position to make 6 to 7 million dollars. The parents are heavily involved to make sure their kids don't get ripped off or mismanaged. You'd be surprised at how many NHLer have the financial aspects of their careers heavily managed by their parents. The Jack Johnson type arrangement isn't completely uncommon, outside of the fact the Johnson's completely abused their kid's trust.
My dad and I were just talking about this the other night, though he couldn't remember which Blue Jacket it was.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 22-year-old seeking financial advixe from their parents and support team, especially if that parent played the game at a similarly high level - The hope, though, is that the advice is good, and there seems to be doubts regarding Michael's history and any advice that he might give.

In the end, Willy's his own person, though, and hopefully he understands that well enough to know that it's he - not his dad, and not his agent - that is signing his name on that contract. He has all the power in the world to say, "I hear you, I appreciate your advice, but this is what I want to do."

This all still feels fairly standard, though, and I'm refusing to let myself worry about these negotiations - It'll get done in due time.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
My dad and I were just talking about this the other night, though he couldn't remember which Blue Jacket it was.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with a 22-year-old seeking financial advixe from their parents and support team, especially if that parent played the game at a similarly high level - The hope, though, is that the advice is good, and there seems to be doubts regarding Michael's history and any advice that he might give.

In the end, Willy's his own person, though, and hopefully he understands that well enough to know that it's he - not his dad, and not his agent - that is signing his name on that contract. He has all the power in the world to say, "I hear you, I appreciate your advice, but this is what I want to do."

This all still feels fairly standard, though, and I'm refusing to let myself worry about these negotiations - It'll get done in due time.
I'm not too worried but let's not beat around the bush. Michael was notoriously difficult to deal with, and I would assume constantly being moved around the world at a young age for hockey would somewhat "jade" you on the industry. Plus, many players credit their parents (and rightfully so), for being significant factors in helping them accomplish their dreams. That gains a significant amount of loyalty and trust.

You are right though, at the end of the day it is Willy's decision. I'm not trying to turn Michael Nylander into some boogieman like a bunch of the Isles fan base did with Aaryne Fuller. Willy chooses who he listens to, but Michael has serious sway.

Reactions: dsred and IBeL34f

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
The best advice a parent of a young player starting a pro career..." Get a good agent"

Reactions: Hunter74

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm aware that was the case when they were kids, but if he's still controlling their lives now when they're grown up and in their 20's, that's a bit weird. Do you have a source saying that's still the case?

No he doesn’t his only proof is when Alex played for Mississauga

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
But if it’s benefitting the Toronto maple leafs why does it matter. It isn’t a big issue when the older generation is helping the younger generation. Plus I don’t even think they would be talking about money. Probably gonna explain to him that being greedy for a few hundred thousand dollars more could really change his life. Like getting traded to a **** team.
Check out Dad's career, the many times he was traded and the places he's played just in North America alone even since William was born in Calgary: Tampa, Chicago, Washington, Boston, New York, Grand Rapids and Rochester. Forget about Hartford and the European gigs.

Would you think Dad is telling the kid "Look, you be loyal to the Leafs or they won't be loyal to you!"?

I have a hunch he has a much more realistic view of the business of hockey and is rightfully telling his son to make the most of his career for himself, even if God Himself were to call up and urge him to sign with the Leafs.

William will probably remember moving frequently, changing schools and making new friends even if Dad forgets to remind him.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
So I guess we will be sending Dougie to Marner’s house.
Bryan Bearad or Leetch to Matthews house

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
What can Salming tell him that his dad can't? The problem isn't Nylander - it's the Leafs.

Matthews, Nylander, Marner were branded "the core" and "the future" and the Leafs just went outside of that core to pay Tavares 11 mil on the open market. The young core is now saying, "Fine, but we want what we're worth too." Nylander is just the first domino.

Reactions: hotpaws

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Nice sentiment but Salming isnt the GM, he should be staying out of it and the Toronto front office should be telling him that as well.
Toronto front office probably asked him to intervene and suggest he not force their hand

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
What can Salming tell him that his dad can't? The problem isn't Nylander - it's the Leafs.

Matthews, Nylander, Marner were branded "the core" and "the future" and the Leafs just went outside of that core to pay Tavares 11 mil on the open market. The young core is now saying, "Fine, but we want what we're worth too." Nylander is just the first domino.
The leafs want a salary that maximizes the team's ability to field a winning group. They aren't doing it for profit because they will spend to the cap either way. The problem from my perspective is Nylander because he puts himself above the team. Anybody who sides with him is a Nylander fan before a Leaf fan.

Reactions: dsred

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
I didnt know thise but salming is Willy’s idol I guess growing up. Might have more impact than you think.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Michael Nylander was a bad dressing room player in his career, and he is definitely involved in getting his sons into trouble. This has Michael Nylander written all over it.

Reactions: Mork

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I'm not entirely sure why Salming is wading into this but if he thinks he can help go for it

What he can tell Nylander that his old man or agent can't escapes me somewhat however

Reactions: Mork

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
The leafs want a salary that maximizes the team's ability to field a winning group. They aren't doing it for profit because they will spend to the cap either way. The problem from my perspective is Nylander because he puts himself above the team. Anybody who sides with him is a Nylander fan before a Leaf fan.
I still haven't figured out how anybody can "side" with anyone in this situation at this point, based on the information (or lack thereof) actually available to us.

Reactions: biotk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad