Salary Cap: Boring Thread Titles Are Awesome! Get Your Phil HERE! Saad Day Indeed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikethelegacy

formerly mikelegacy
May 9, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pa
Why on Earth would Columbus, a pretty heated division rival, trade a stud, young winger to us?

Moreover, I think Saad just got his "homecoming." Columbus is what, 3 hours from Pittsburgh? Saad's pretty much playing in his backyard as is.

Disagree. That's one more option that we were reportedly hard on the trail of that is off the table for us. If it's true that we're one of only a couple of teams in on Kessel, and the leading horse, Saad being dealt is very bad for us landing Kessel.

Nobody knows, but my gut says next to nil. And it's an impressive gut.

He wasn't even on the table before 30 minutes ago. Besides maybe taking Sharp off the market, it affects nothing.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
The only thing I can think of is that Chicago didn't want to trade him here. Pouliot and Sutter are much better. If they traded him here and he puts up 35 goals on Sid's wing, they look bad.

Maybe we threatened an offer sheet and trading him to Columbus was Bowman's revenge.

Man. So close.

Wes C Addle

Bernard Shakey
Jul 4, 2007
Allentown, Pa
Teams might legitimately not want to do business with Pittsburgh to see their winger (Saad for example) blow up next to Malkin or Crosby. Bowman might have willingly taken less to see him go to a mediocre team instead of a possible contender.

Bingo.

But, damn, that one could've been topped. Makes me wonder if CHI, all things being equal, didn't see sending Saad to his hometown to play with Sid/Geno as appropriate.

I tend to think this as well.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Maybe we threatened an offer sheet and trading him to Columbus was Bowman's revenge.

Man. So close.

That's possible too. There's no way we didn't top that return. None. Between the Pouliot rumors and the "go get a local boy" nonsense. Chicago wanted to avoid him playing here. It's that simple.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
Bring me Phil!!!!

kessel.0.gif

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Does this not put pressure on us?

Seeing a division rival making a splash and getting better...it puts pressure on us. But not a ton. I really don't want any of the free agents, but if we get Frolik or someone it'll be perceived that we aren't as desperate. But I'd much rather pony up some assets for a very good winger than overpay for the mediocrity on the market.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The Pens are stunned that CBJ got him for so little?

I call bull**** on that.

Columbus does not have him at all.

They have negotiating rights for less than 24 hours. And some draft picks if it does not work out.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I honestly believe that's it.

I think it is. From Chicago's perspective, Saad flipped them the bird. To then turn around and send him home and to 'suffer' with Sid or Geno . . . yeah, I see it being a factor. The only factor? Of course not. But definitely a factor.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
The theory that Chicago just didn't want him here is looking more and more likely.

It's really the only reasoning. Dano is a decent prospect, but he's no DP, and they have some nice forward prospects outside of Panarin. Sharp gives those guys time to develop and can slot back up. Seabrook is up for a contract next year and is going to get PAID.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wonder what this changes for Chicago going into tomorrow...who do they target?

AR5

Mar 7, 2014
Madden: I just got a note from the source who told me at 4PM that PGH was in on Saad, that said PGH made a better offer to CHI on Saad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad