Speculation: Borgstrom viewing his options, signs with HIFK (Finnish league), contract includes NHL out-clause

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Wild overreactions, could be many reasons he wants to play over there, IF the speculation even comes to pass.

So quick to pass judgement around here.
It's true that the comment (not happy with role) could just be the reporter's own thinking, but it's a bad look on Borg regardless.

It's also been 2 days, he could've and should've disputed that claim by now via his agent if it's false.

Reactions: Cold Cat

Drugs Delaney

Peace be with you.
Jan 31, 2013
Colorado
He could just be going down the street for groceries, which happens to be in Finland and walked past the stadium and bought a jersey with his name on it. :sarcasm:

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Wild overreactions, could be many reasons he wants to play over there, IF the speculation even comes to pass.

So quick to pass judgement around here.
Overreactions regarding the player? Or regarding another example from the Panthers' bottomless pit of ineptitude?

Reactions: Rahooji

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Overreactions regarding the player? Or regarding another example from the Panthers' bottomless pit of ineptitude?
Wild overreactions such as jumping down a kids throat for even possibly making an unpopular career choice for himself, and not for the fans. Not to mention it supposedly isn't even true.

Many plausible reasons he may have considered it:

More money
Better professional league
Back home after years abroad
Family issues/Current Pandemic situation

Frankly there are many solid reasons to go if the organization doesnt feel he is ready for whatever reason.

Pretty large stretch on those cancer comments made by others in the thread, but to each their own.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Wild overreactions such as jumping down a kids throat for even possibly making an unpopular career choice for himself, and not for the fans. Not to mention it supposedly isn't even true.

Many plausible reasons he may have considered it:

More money
Better professional league
Back home after years abroad
Family issues/Current Pandemic situation

Frankly there are many solid reasons to go if the organization doesnt feel he is ready for whatever reason.

Pretty large stretch on those cancer comments made by others in the thread, but to each their own.

• Is he going to make more money than the AHL? Yes, but I would think he wouldn't make more money than in the NHL, and the AHL is your best route to the big leagues.
  • Again, it may be a better league, but the better route to the big leagues IMO is through the AHL. Especially when you've already played in the show. Your organization says to jump, you should be asking how high.
  • Yeah if he's home sick, then that's too bad. Many Europeans come to North America for hockey and stay. If it's for other reasons unbeknownst to me, then I can't comment.
Supposedly the rumour is false, so no worry now. I am all for the organization keeping a prospect over losing them for nothing. Especially if one is touted as highly as Borgy. Hopefully, where there's smoke, there isn't fire.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
It's easier to look by age, which in all cases (where the RFA has gone overseas and the team has retained his rights) is the year the player turns 27yo.

Henrik was drafted as an overager (doesn't matter) and he'll turn 27 in 2024.
To be exact, the player can declare himself UFA on July 1st in the year when he has turned 27 by June 30 (so at the end of the season) and, obviously, has had his contract expired.

Borg's birthday is in August so he will be 27 on June 30 in 2025. As was mentioned, as long as he's tendered a QO now when his previous contract is ending, he will remain a RFA on Florida's reserve list until July 1st 2025 when he qualifies for UFA (unless traded or successfully offersheeted or etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: harv33173

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
To be exact, the player can declare himself UFA on July 1st in the year when he has turned 27 by June 30 (so at the end of the season) and, obviously, has had his contract expired.

Borg's birthday is in August so he will be 27 on June 30 in 2025. As was mentioned, as long as he's tendered a QO now when his previous contract is ending, he will remain a RFA on Florida's reserve list until July 1st 2025 when he becomes UFA (unless traded or successfully offersheeted or etc.).
Does this apply to RFAs not under contract as well? Because I thought of this when I did my research, and didn't any specific information.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Does this apply to RFAs not under contract as well? Because I thought of this when I did my research, and didn't any specific information.
By definition RFA is not under contract. But, this does apply to them all (caveat: possibly excluding some weird defectee case maybe).

DrMom9900

Nov 2, 2011
Borg sucks. I held out hope for him but the fact he still looked like the same soft, slow, disinterested player he was when he was first drafted shows he could care less about being the best he can be.

Gettem outta here!

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
He could go for the Group 6 UFA route.

Good catch.

Means any Player who is age 25 or older who has completed three (3) or more professional seasons, whose SPC has expired and: (i) in the case of a Player other than a goaltender, has played less than 80 NHL Games, or (ii) in the case of a goaltender, has played less than 28 NHL Games (for the purpose of this definition, a goaltender must have played a minimum of thirty (30) minutes in an NHL Game to register a game played).

Though, it may be he would need to be 25 at the expiration of his SPC. It's probably meant primarily for guys who have been buried in the minors for good by their own team but who might cut it to NHL in some other team. As an "early UFA" of sorts I guess to get release from that situation. Borg quite isn't there yet (70 games up at the end of his ELC).

Any Group 6 Player shall, at the expiration of his SPC, become an Unrestricted Free Agent and shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with any Club, and any Club shall be completely free to negotiate and sign an SPC with such Player, without penalty or restriction, or being subject to any Right of First Refusal, Draft Choice Compensation or any other compensation or equalization obligation of any kind.

TheWhiskeyThief

Dec 24, 2017
Good catch.

Though, it may be he would need to be 25 at the expiration of his SPC. It's probably meant primarily for guys who have been buried in the minors for good by their own team but who might cut it to NHL in some other team. As an "early UFA" of sorts I guess to get release from that situation. Borg quite isn't there yet (70 games up at the end of his ELC).

If he departs to Liiga after the season he could get to UFA at 25 via the back door. Panthers would retain his rights if he went to the KHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad